Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does RAV4 Limited 2017 models ever take conventional oil? i have put almost 37K miles with free oil changes. this time I took to Toyota dealer and he charged me $69.99 for synthetic oil. do Does the RAV4 continues to take synthetic oil? can i get oil change from any mechanic next time instead of going to toyota directly?

·
Registered
92 Posts
There is much controversy over the proper oil for these engines. My personal opinion is that synthetic oil is oversold, especially the 0W-20 that is recommended. At any rate, if you are not inclined to do your own changes, you can probably get it done elsewhere for less. I would recommend avoiding some of those places that hire incompetent kids to do the work.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes, you are allowed to do maintenance outside of a Toyota dealer to maintain your warranty.

I believe 0W-20 is only made in synthetic, so there is no conventional oil. The closest conventional oil I think is 5W-30 and there really is no savings these days. Check out Walmart's Super Tech, it's really value priced. No worries, it's proven and made/distributed by Warren oil <-long time company.

Maybe find a shop that let's you bring your own oil, and only charges for labor.

Even though conventional and synthetic prices are really close now, shops still up-sell a lot for synthetic.

Good luck!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm sorry.... but you paid $25-28 large or more for your 2017 RAV4 Limited, and you are stressing over the $20 upcharge of Synthetic over Conventional motor oil that you'll pay every 10k miles going forward? First World Problems. Look for some coupons, and shop around. Or learn to do this yourself. You can find off-brand Synthetic for the price of top shelf Conventional if you shop around.

The drop in the current price of gasoline should more than cover it! Of course, if you do go to a heavier oil to avoid the light weight Synthetic (there is currently no 0W-20 weight oil refined from conventional base stock), your fuel economy will likely drop sufficiently to wipe out any savings.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Correct, everyone should learn how to change their own oil. If anything you become more familiar with your vehicle. As for oil of course look for specials, coupons and buy the oil in bulk whenever possible. I usually pick up a case of Mobil 1 0-W20.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oil weight is determined by tolerances and clearances specifically at the crank bearings. If you go with a heavier weight oil you run the risk if increased wear. An older engine might be ok going from 20 to 30 weight but I would recommend sticking with synthetic.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oil weight is determined by tolerances and clearances specifically at the crank bearings. If you go with a heavier weight oil you run the risk if increased wear. An older engine might be ok going from 20 to 30 weight but I would recommend sticking with synthetic.
That sounds reasonable, but according to what I have read elsewhere, identical engines in other countries do not require the light weight oil specified here, reportedly only for alleged fuel economy. FWIW, I have enough 0W20 oil in stock for my RAV4 for two or three years. I will change to 5W30 when it runs out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That sounds reasonable, but according to what I have read elsewhere, identical engines in other countries do not require the light weight oil specified here, reportedly only for alleged fuel economy. FWIW, I have enough 0W20 oil in stock for my RAV4 for two or three years. I will change to 5W30 when it runs out.
Sometimes oil weight can be for MPGs and will be lower in countries that have higher MPG restrictions and/or for better performance. It's not a decision made by engineers as much as it is by marketing.

Other times its because different countries has different oil standards Euro oil is better than US spec oil for wear and heat resistance. I use Euro spec oil for my turbo truck.

A good example of a poor choice for oil is Hondas K24 in some older model Accord EXs. They were tuned to 200 HP and 7k rpms iirc. These engines had an oil burning issue because oil was overheating and depositing carbon onto the oil rings causing them to get stuck.

Honda first blamed it on the user for revving cold engines (how many honda owners do you know that rev engines) and later claimed it was an oil ring issue. Piston rings were replaced but for those that kept the car past 150-200k miles experienced the issue again.

While there are many theories, I believe a big issue was combustion temps were too high for the 20w oil. I think a 30w oil and/or higher octane gas recommendation would have been more prudent. Im sure it was a marketing decisions.

Point being, manufacturer recommendations aren't always the best. But, that said, before you start making changes, make sure you know what your doing. I'm using 30w for my rav4 but synthetic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Coming from a American car purchaser. I bought two RAV4'S a gas 2016 and hybrid 2017.

This is the easiest oil change ever. Look at you tube. Everything is accessible, filters are reasonable since its gaskets and a paper filter, oil is $30 for 5 quarts(could of gotten it cheaper) and don't change until 10,000 miles. Lots of savings here (Time, parts, money) All my conventional oil cars are changed to synthetic. Make sure this is acceptable for your car. Oh, don't forget about oil plug seal. It sticks to pan and need to scrape off. Took a few changes to realize I even had a seal or washer.o_O

·
Registered
10 Posts
Easy, but far from the easiest. You still have to drain and get the filter from the bottom. My Audi has a top mounted filter and is designed for oil extraction from the dipstick tube. I don't even wear gloves.

At least Toyota put the cartridge drain valve in, nice not getting oil all over your arm when spinning off the filter anymore. A trusty Fumoto valve also makes draining oil from the pan a bit easier as well.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Coming from a American car purchaser. I bought two RAV4'S a gas 2016 and hybrid 2017.

This is the easiest oil change ever. Look at you tube. Everything is accessible, filters are reasonable since its gaskets and a paper filter, oil is $30 for 5 quarts(could of gotten it cheaper) and don't change until 10,000 miles. Lots of savings here (Time, parts, money) All my conventional oil cars are changed to synthetic. Make sure this is acceptable for your car. Oh, don't forget about oil plug seal. It sticks to pan and need to scrape off. Took a few changes to realize I even had a seal or washer.o_O

Mobil 1 has a rebate going by on now until Sept.

I get mine from Walmart and send in rebates. Been doing it for a few years now and never had a problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts