Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

OIL CHANGE INTERVAL CAUTION!

4390 Views 52 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Susan4ET
Please watch and listen to "Car Care Nut" latest video where he is rebuilding an engine with 150,000 mile that was using 3 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles! He makes some amazing comments while doing this job like:
1. Toyota dealerships use the CHEAPEST oil they can get their hands on when changing the oil in the dealership NOT TOYOTA OIL!
2. Even if you have the dealership change the oil every 6 months/10,000 miles like the owner's manual recommends, you will end up having to replace the engine like the one he is working on at 150,000miles!
The Toyota owner's manual service interval for oil changes is just the MINIMUM to make the car last to the end of the warranty !!!
Alarming information! should be widely broadcast to every owner ... a $30 (DIY) or $70 (dealership) EVERY 5,000 is required IF you want your engine to last!
Don't take my word on this ... listen to a MASTER CAR MACHANIC == Car Care Nut on YOUTUBE channel.
He claims that in his experience in a Toyota Dealership, that the service intervals are NOT designed to make you toyota engine LAST much beyond the warranty! AND that "dealerships" use the cheapest oil they can get their hands on when you take it to them for an oil change!!! "brown and slippery" is all that they require!
This is very alarming information ... but LOOK at the condition of the engine he is having to replace for one of his customers!
Reactions: 2
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Come on.
So answer a simple question then. Why do the oil companies say the same thing??? Wouldn't they make more money if everyone changed oil at 5,000 miles?
I find it strange that oil companies talk about intervals at all. It seems an American thing that they print on the bottle that it is a 10.000 mile oil. I have never seen that here across the ocean.

Something that also wonders me, Toyota prints in the manual of the 4th gen hybrid that it uses 0W20 (but others are allowed) but here in the Netherlands Toyota advises to use 5W30 because of the milder climate and because of higher loads for example when pulling a trailer.
For the 5th gen it might be different since the oil pump seems to be calibrated for 0W16. The 5W30 advice is given by dealers owned by the importer and by independent Toyota dealers.
I find it strange that oil companies talk about intervals at all. It seems an American thing that they print on the bottle that it is a 10.000 mile oil. I have never seen that here across the ocean.

Something that also wonders me, Toyota prints in the manual of the 4th gen hybrid that it uses 0W20 (but others are allowed) but here in the Netherlands Toyota advises to use 5W30 because of the milder climate and because of higher loads for example when pulling a trailer.
For the 5th gen it might be different since the oil pump seems to be calibrated for 0W16. The 5W30 advice is given by dealers owned by the importer and by independent Toyota dealers.
The 0w oil is more energy efficient. Every mpg counts.
If I have to choose between the last MPG out of it or a longer lasting engine I would go for the longer lasting engine any day.
Reactions: 1
If I have to choose between the last MPG out of it or a longer lasting engine I would go for the longer lasting engine any day.
Who said you have to choose? They make the engines with better tolerances so you can use a thinner oil. It's also flows faster in cold weather which actually helps with less engine wear.
Did the engine last longer? Is the 5W30 recommendation Europe wide because if you’re in Germany, then sure go higher weight coz autobahn where high sustained engine RPM is involved. For 120-130kmh highway speeds, that’s doesn’t really require a lot of sustained engine load (especially in NL where it’s flat as) to justify a heavier weight oil. But as with oils, do what works for you.
I don't know if it is the advice in the whole of Europe but it seems to be the advice here in the Netherlands.
The reasoning is the milder climate and higher loads when pulling a trailer/travel trailer. In Europe we are allowed by Toyota to pull 1650kg (3600lbs) with the hybrids.
I'm not trying to debate, so please don't mistake my "when to change" question as the normal.

I'm used to a good ole fashioned vehicle where when you start the vehicle the internal combustion engine is running the entire time.

I will change oil at a specific miles distance, just like the rest of the world.
What I don't know is lets say I want to change at 3,000 or 10,000 miles. How will I know when I've reached that number of miles when driving a Hybrid. This year and last have been crazy low mile years. To date I've covered 1700 miles in my non Toyota.

I can promise you that all 1700 miles are on the ICE. The question then becomes, in a Hybrid, for a person who drove 1700 miles in 7 months, I can estimate 80% of that will be on electric. No way is the miles ready to be justify an oil change. I know, time or distance is a thing and I usually change oil by time, not miles since I drive so litter, even on a normal year.

So yeah, when driving a Hybrid, how can I say "I am at 3,000 miles (or 10,000)), I will change oil soon".
See less See more
For a normal hybrid the ICE is on most of the time anyway but for a plug-in like the Prime it is indeed a different story.
It would have been nice if Toyota would include a hour meter so you can see how many hours the ICE has been running.
Okay, thanks for that. I didn't think that would be true, however have never driven one. Figured with the 41mpg claims and upper 30's combined, electric was on often.

Thanks for the tip and confirmation.
For a normal hybrid the ICE is on most of the time anyway but for a plug-in like the Prime it is indeed a different story.
It would have been nice if Toyota would include a hour meter so you can see how many hours the ICE has been running.
Really in this modern age, it should have been easy for the car to be programmed to log engine hours, i mean, i have one on my Lawn Mower Zero turn rider...good grief...
I don't know if it is the advice in the whole of Europe but it seems to be the advice here in the Netherlands.
The reasoning is the milder climate and higher loads when pulling a trailer/travel trailer. In Europe we are allowed by Toyota to pull 1650kg (3600lbs) with the hybrids.
Funny enough you have countries like Australia "preferring" 0W16. Much much warmer climate, tow capacity 1500kg (braked) for hybrid. There are so many variations between regions which means they all work. Do what works for your usage pattern.
There is a difference between the 4th and 5th gen engines. The 5th gen engines have an oil pump that is calibrated for the viscosity range of 0W16. For those engines I would stick to that.
Reactions: 1
I ran across this video last week. I think he mentioned oil analysis once. Want to hear more on that. But, can you trust the analysis by whom? Add to this "predictive maintenance" now. It is kind of sinister to me to think Toyota builds in after warranty failure.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.