Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I own a 2011 Rav4 and have a question about oil change. The owners manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles and I did that when I was taking it to the dealer and using there oil. Now I take it to the local quick lube and am using quaker state oil and was wondering if I should keep changing the oil every 5000 miles? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Generally yes, as long as the oil meets the spec. Though I would not advise taking it to a quick lube place. Not that you have to go to a dealer either, but a local mechanic/tire shop/etc would be far better than the quick lube.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Many people with the 4 banger have upped to as much as 10k oil change intervals...as stated I would avoid those quick lube places for sure...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hello, I own a 2011 Rav4 and have a question about oil change. The owners manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles and I did that when I was taking it to the dealer and using there oil. Now I take it to the local quick lube and am using quaker state oil and was wondering if I should keep changing the oil every 5000 miles? Thanks everyone
Your profile shows you have the 2011 4-cyl engine. Starting in 2013, Toyota extended the oil change interval (to 10k-miles or 12-months) for that same engine while specifying synthetic oil. They continued to advise those who started under the old rules (5k-miles or 6-months), the 2009-2012 4-bangers, to keep doing so as that is what their warranty states.

So it tells me it is fine to extend the OCI if you use switch to synthetic, and are no longer concerned about the letter of the law regarding warranty.

You mention Quaker State oil but not the type--if you went cheapest route, it's probably conventional oil and not synthetic. If so, stick to 5k OCI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts