Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, my wife and I purchased our 2013 Rav4 awd LE May of 2017. It had 112000 kms on it, and 119XXX as of today. I know the oil change interval is 16000kms (10000 miles). Long story short, went to the local dealer to buy an oil filter and bolt washer. Asked the service adviser if she can pull up the Rav4's history. I was in luck as the Rav4 i bought was bought new from this dealer and received history for free.

Now as I was looking at it, the previous owner has done 8k-10k kms oil changes. The lowest one I saw was 7000kms. The last oil change was done at 107XXX kms, so this puts me at 12000 kms. Good news is the previous owner did ALL the regular maintenance at this dealer up until 107XXX.

Im kind of thinking to change the oil asap but manual does say 16000 kms service. I ordered the metal oil cap/tool after reading some threads on here about the oem plastic one. I was going to wait for these to come in and do the change.

What would be the reason to have short intervals?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Being 60 plus years old, growing up in an era where oil change intervals were every 3 months or 3,000 miles which I guess is about 5,000 kilometers. That was the scriptural distance. For my dad it was most of a lifetime. I've adapted fine to the changing intervals of current vehicles but some folks are stringent about sticking with the scriptural distance. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
The 10,000 mile oil change is only for synthetic oil. If the interval was far less than that standard oil may have been used. Check that history to see if you can determine what oils were listed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Being 60 plus years old, growing up in an era where oil change intervals were every 3 months or 3,000 miles which I guess is about 5,000 kilometers. That was the scriptural distance. For my dad it was most of a lifetime. I've adapted fine to the changing intervals of current vehicles but some folks are stringent about sticking with the scriptural distance. YMMV.

The 10,000 mile oil change is only for synthetic oil. If the interval was far less than that standard oil may have been used. Check that history to see if you can determine what oils were listed.
Im so use to doing 6000km in my subaru so a bit hesitant to go the distance lol. Anyways, I just got back from the dealer again to purchase and oil filter/washer. The adviser said 16000 km is ok, but they recommend and change oil every 8000 kms. He could not give me a reason why. He also said from 2010 and up they always use synthetic oil. I told him about my 12000km and he gave me a thumbs up and said Im still within range. Kind of confusing, but I'll go 8000km now every change.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I drive close to 2200 miles/month.
I for one welcome our new reptillian.... err... 10,000 mile OCI.

Wife has only 22,000 on her '15 Rav... averages about 700 a month, so it gets changed once a year whether it needs it or not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
As long as you go by the maintenance schedule as a minimum you are ok. I still stick with the 5k oil changes. I really enjoy tinkering on all my vehicles - kind of like a hobby.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
The 10,000 mile synthetic oil interval should be matched with an oil filter that can do the job for that distance. Not all oil filters are the same. There are some made better and are designed up 10,000 miles while others are made to last up only 5,000 miles.

So the advantage of a slightly shorter oil interval is you are not pushing your oil or filter to work to the maximum especially if your part does not perform well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The 10,000 mile synthetic oil interval should be matched with an oil filter that can do the job for that distance. Not all oil filters are the same. There are some made better and are designed up 10,000 miles while others are made to last up only 5,000 miles.

So the advantage of a slightly shorter oil interval is you are not pushing your oil or filter to work to the maximum especially if your part does not perform well.
^^ Totally AGREE.

Wife's v6 RAV4 oil and filter, gets changed every 10,000 Km.
- and the used oil still retains 1/2 its honey color

WIX "XP" oil filters is their new Platinum line / using synthetic media....
www.filter1.com out of the States, is 1/3 the cost of local NAPA/UAP here (in Ontario)
- once a year I order my filters in bulk, and drive to MI for parcel pickup

My favorite oil is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (from 99.5% clean N-Gas base stock) / Canadian Tire had on sale, few weeks ago... $47.98/5L Yellow Jug + HST

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
I change the oil and filter on my 2015 Rav every 7000 miles with Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic oil. The maintenance manual states every 10,000 mile, but I feel better at 7,000.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your input and help. I did the oil change yesterday morning. Easier than I thought, I ended up using the Toyota oem filter and Castrol edge 0w-20 because it was on sale.

Filter looked ugly at 12k kms. After 8k kms I'll send it to blackstone and go from there. I will try one of those long interval filters like the wix xp mentioned above, or any other reputable long lasting filters, next time and go 10k.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For some historical perspective, I have the first model year the 4 cyl 2AR-FE engine came out for the RAV in 2009, same as your 2013. To maintain warranty, it was required to change at 8k kms (5k miles) or every 6 months, whichever came first. I believe it was 2012 when Toyota USA snapped their fingers and used synthetic oil and made the new norm as double that. It definitely changed by 2013 to the new standard of 10k miles, 12-months.

Toyota still required the old standard ( 5k miles / 6 months) for those 2AR (09-11 models) under the previous rules. This was particularly senseless for those that had very low miles per 6-months, even if you switched to synthetic. I faithfully followed the original schedule until my warranties expired. Now can do whatever so chose to go synthetic Mobil 1 5w-20. I've stretched the OCI this time to 7k-miles (11.2k kms) and 11 months on my last change, and using OEM filter. While my sampling numbers are still small, per Blackstone oil analysis tests, there is no significant difference. (engine now at 97k miles, 155k-kms)

For those that choose to change any of the fluids earlier than actually required, it is a "feel good" excercise. Just as me doing Blackstone tests makes me feel good. Either approach is more costly than just sticking to the 10k miles / 12 months. But just feels good.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
For some historical perspective, I have the first model year the 4 cyl 2AR-FE engine came out for the RAV in 2009, same as your 2013. To maintain warranty, it was required to change at 8k kms (5k miles) or every 6 months, whichever came first. I believe it was 2012 when Toyota USA snapped their fingers and used synthetic oil and made the new norm as double that. It definitely changed by 2013 to the new standard of 10k miles, 12-months.
The solid 5k (8000km) interval began at various times depending on the model, around 2003-2006
The old standard was 7500 miles, or 5000 miles under severe conditions.
As the dashboard were redesigned to support the "Maintenance Required" light, they eliminated the 7500 mile interval and just pushed everything into the 5k interval. My 2003 Tundra and wife's '00 Echo carried 7500/5000, wife's '04 Rav4 and my '08 Tacoma required 5000.

This was long before Toyota began using synthetic, so even with conventional oil, 7500 was okay with Toyota.
General Motors went to an oil life monitor that actually had some intelligence. It didn't analyze the oil (such systems do exist using capacitance), but it went by engine operating parameters as well as mileage. My '06 Duramax would alert for an oil change anywhere between 8,000 and 13,000.

Toyota just went cheap with a 5,000 mile countdown.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I typically change oil/filter at the same time as tires which works out to about 10,000 kms.

I do all my own service.

I have used synthetic since it became available. I will probably switch to 16,000 kms now.

Other than cost there is no disadvantage to frequent oil changes. Canadian Tire has regular 50% off sales for synthetic so I stock up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I do mine at 5-6k miles and have from when I bought the car. Basically, I do it by Toyota's extreme driving conditions criteria in the owners manual. Maybe the oil is good for 10,000 miles but the price for doing it at half that interval is really peanuts except for my time and is insurance. I bought half dozen Toyota oil filters at the dealer when they ran a sale and I buy the oil in 5 quart containers...0-20 Mobile One at Walmart.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Oil change interval varies greatly depending on your usage and operating conditions. Driving every day in downtown Toronto or Winnipeg will be harder on the oil than doing 20 km each way into Flin-Flon :)

I'm interested to know what the analysis says when you get the results, given that you were at 10,000 km interval on a 2AR-FE. I'm going to be out of warranty soon and will consider switching up to 10,000 for my interval (2012 still on the 8,000 plan per my manual for Canada). I'm still shy of 76,000 km, but more knowledge helps!

·
Super Moderator
11,098 Posts
All this much-ado about oils and intervals makes me wonder how engines ever survived 50+ years ago when all we had was straight 30 (winter) or 40 (summer) weight oils.
(Somehow I think I'll be dropping this comment into many future threads. :))

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
Toyota says:

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

What are the oil change intervals using synthetic oil?

• Only Toyota vehicles in which 0w-20 synthetic oil is required (except 3UR-FBE Engines*) have been approved for extended oil change intervals of 10,000-miles/12-months. (However, you should continue to check the oil level regularly and top off if needed. That will help your engine get the full benefit of synthetic oil.)
  • Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 mineral oil, (or 5w-30), will continue to require 5,000-mile/6-month oil change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.
  • In the case of vehicles with 10,000 mile oil change intervals, the 5,000 mile service interval has not been eliminated. The traditional 5,000 mile maintenance procedures (such as tire rotation) will continue to be required, and the fluid levels (such as brake fluid) will need to be checked and adjusted at this time.
  • If the vehicle operation meets the standard criteria for "Special Operating Conditions" such as: driving off-road, on dirt roads, towing a trailer, making repeated short trips under 32˚ F, or extensive idling; the engine oil must be replaced at 5,000 mile intervals, regardless of what type of oil is used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
With the way modern engines are designed to run, changing at 5k is ridiculous unless you never drive the car and change it once a year.
I will resemble that remark although probably more like 7,500 miles per year. I anticipate being a once a year changer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts