Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

My wife has a 2003 Rav4L 2WD Auto.

We had it since new and it's been an interesting car. Not what I'd buy per-say but a nice car overall.

I change the oil on it myself since it's so easy to do. I used MultiBlend 5W-30 and change every 7500 miles. If I use full synthetic it stays in for 10K. No problems yet and we have just under 36K miles.

A few issues with the car are the cracking sound on the windshield defrost area upfront....we could have that TSB serviced but I'm not going to bother as I'd rather have the car left as is than have the dealer rip it apart to stick in some shims.

Also the fuel mileage is not good IMO at all. We get around 21 MPG average which to me is rather low for a 2800lb vehicle.

We're due for a tire change as our OEM Toyos are down to the bars.

Quick questions:

1. What are your oil change intervals?
2. Is my mileage OK? (I'm wondering if the fuel filter would be worth changing now...under the passenger side of the car correct?).
3. How long are people's tires lasting?

Cheers.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
nozferatu said:
Hello All:

My wife has a 2003 Rav4L 2WD Auto.

Also the fuel mileage is not good IMO at all. We get around 21 MPG average which to me is rather low for a 2800lb vehicle.

2. Is my mileage OK? (I'm wondering if the fuel filter would be worth changing now...under the passenger side of the car correct?).

Cheers.
First, and I'm the poster child for this one, if you keep your vent switch at FLOOR/DEF or DEF, then the A/C is running, even though the light on the A/C switch does not come on. This steals 2-3 MPG from you, more so in the winter.

My mileage with my 05 4WD Auto, with 65% highway typical, is:

1 - Average 25.2 with no A/C
2 - Average 23.0 MPG with A/C on almost all the time

So, yes, your mileage is not as good as it should be, IMO, especially since I have 4WD and you do not. As for oil, I have only changed my oil twice so far, at 5K intervals with 5W30 normal oil. I will switch to synthetic next change and run 10K intervals.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snyrav4 said:
On regular non-synthetic oil, the rule-of-thumb is oil & fillter every 3,000 Mi.s.
3K is a marketing ploy to get you to buy more oil. It's still clean at 5K. Book says 5K. It gets changed at 5K (always with filter). Until I switch to synthetic of course.

EDIT: I somehow recall old TV commercials for places like Jiffy Lube et. al., and they started pitching 5K intervals to come see them for an oil change and then some idiot in the marketing department said, "Hey, tell them 3K and so can make more money!!".

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JohnnyG said:
Snyrav4 said:
On regular non-synthetic oil, the rule-of-thumb is oil & fillter every 3,000 Mi.s.
3K is a marketing ploy to get you to buy more oil. It's still clean at 5K. Book says 5K. It gets changed at 5K (always with filter). Until I switch to synthetic of course.

EDIT: I somehow recall old TV commercials for places like Jiffy Lube et. al., and they started pitching 5K intervals to come see them for an oil change and then some idiot in the marketing department said, "Hey, tell them 3K and so can make more money!!".
Don't forget there are multiblends out there that meet auto maker standards and are guaranteed to be safe to 7500 miles. When I change my oil, it's a pretty light color...even at 7.5K. Every 9 months or 7.5K.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nouse4aname said:
Snyrav4 said:
Eh, no. That's marketing nonsense.

The toyota recommended 5k is just fine.
the toyota service center here recommend 4.5k :lol:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Portege_RAV4 said:
nouse4aname said:
Snyrav4 said:
Eh, no. That's marketing nonsense.

The toyota recommended 5k is just fine.
the toyota service center here recommend 4.5k :lol:
Do not listen to dealers anymore than jiffylube. Stick with the manual or get an oil anaylsis.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The issue of intervals is not so much how dirty it gets from picking up contaminate byproducts of combustion, but the fact that regular oil breaks down over time. Petroleum oil molecules, in contrast to uniform-sized synthetic oil molecules, vary significantly in size, shape, and length, which shortens its life. When your engine heats up, the smaller molecules evaporate, while the larger ones tend to oxidize and become engine deposits (i.e., varnish). 100% synthetic oil does not have this breakdown problem, hence the longer recommended change intervals. But all oil, regardless of what you use, becomes contaminated over time, so even though they recommend longer change intervals for synthetic, once oil gets overly saturated with contaminates, it's time to change it. Not to mention the stress this puts on the oil filter. Mobil One synthetic, when it first came out, advocated 25,000 miles or 12 months for an interval. I considered that too much and stuck to 10-12K intervals. My Del Sol has been using synthetic since its second oil change and it now has 240K miles on it and zero varnish on the valves and pistons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a few thoughts.

I have a 2002L 4WD automatic and live in Arizona, formerly in SoCal where I purchased the vehicle new. I avg. about 26-29± mpg highway - to Phoenix and Tuscon.

I have followed the manual per oil change intervals at 5k with Castrol multi - recommended by a friend who is a foreign car mechanic. What I do change more frequently is the air filter because of the dry dusty conditions where I live (sw Az).

Can someone send a few comments about synthetics and brand/viscosity recommendations?

Thanks.
Great info within.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want better mileage, you should use 5W20 especially if you live in cold climate like Main, Canada, .....etc....
I use 5W20 Mobil1 and Toyota oil filter on my RAV4, I change the oil once a year ( drive 12000 miles a year) and filter twice a year. I just sold my other car Nissan Maxima with 240 k miles on it , it doesn't burn oil and the engine was still good, can't beat Mobil1, I used 5W30 on the Maxima because it has a lot of mileage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts