Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a brand new 2017 Rav-4 XLE [2.5L DOHC 4-Cyl Dual VVT-i] in april this year, coming on 6 months and 5,000 miles, I thought the oil is supposed to be changed at this time. Contacted the ToyotaCare 2yr included service and they tell me its not changed till 10,000?

Do most owners feel comfortable with this, or change their oil early themselves? I remember when I bought my 1988 Toy 4x4 SR5 the oil had to be changed first at 1,000, then every 3k, but that was using conventional oil as well...

I also bought the original Toyota Repair Service manuals that came with the 1988 4x4 for like $20 back then, now they are all online only?, so you have to print them out?
And I guess they are really expensive now?

Which oil is preferred for the 1st change if your doing it yourself?
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120758-Advanced-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B00J00X5YO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475590577&sr=8-2&keywords=mobile+1

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-120766-Extended-Performance-5W-30/dp/B00J00X3NW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1475590577&sr=8-3&keywords=mobile+1

I saw this online, anyone have a link for servicing a 2017 Rav-4 XLE?
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Articles/Toyota-RAV4-Common-Problems-Repair-Maintenance-Guides.htm

·
Registered
932 Posts
Purchased a brand new 2017 Rav-4 XLE in april this year, coming on 6 months and 5,000 miles, I thought the oil is supposed to be changed at this time. Contacted the ToyotaCare 2yr included service and they tell me its not changed till 10,000?

Is this right? I remember when I bought my 1988 Toy 4x4 SR5 the oil had to be changed first at 1,000, then every 3k, but that was using conventional oil as well...
Synthetic oil- 10000 or one year which ever comes first. So they give you 2 changes really 3 if you include the oil that comes with the Rav... 30000 or 3 years I love free stuff.

·
Super Moderator
11,106 Posts
Reactions: ranosbb

·
Registered
412 Posts
I will shoot myself before I let the oil go to 10k miles. :wink
I don't care what anybody says.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I will shoot myself before I let the oil go to 10k miles. :wink
I don't care what anybody says.
I felt the same way, but the more I look at some of the oil that has been anilized at 5k, 7.5k and 10k, I think I may change at 10k. If I decide to go earlier, then I migh change at 8k. Right now I am at 7k and have my Mobil 1, Toyota filter and filter wrench so I just need to determine when but I think 10k. Mobil 1 guarantees their extended life oil to 15k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I felt the same way, but the more I look at some of the oil that has been anilized at 5k, 7.5k and 10k, I think I may change at 10k. If I decide to go earlier, then I migh change at 8k. Right now I am at 7k and have my Mobil 1, Toyota filter and filter wrench so I just need to determine when but I think 10k. Mobil 1 guarantees their extended life oil to 15k.
Thanks all for the info and links, good info out there...

What tools do I need and where where can I get the documentation/instructions on this maintenance? I saw the TIS https://techinfo.toyota.com website that one can pay $15 for a 2 day access, can't that give someone enough time to download all the service manuals that you will need?
Why would someone need a year's access? All I need for now is info on an oil change, which seems more complicated then back in 1988!

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I change every 5k - just do what you feel comfortable with. As long as you don't go past the recommended services in the manual you should be OK.

I documented my oil change on our '14. They should be the same. You can check it out here: 2014 RAV4 Limited AWD Oil Change 101 - DIY
Very nice and great work! I will see how close this is to the 2017 when I do my own changes in the future...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ranosbb--You've done the equivalent of throwing gasoline on a fire. :D Nothing gets a group of grown men fired up faster than arguing about oil change intervals.

Early oil changes are completely unnecessary and a growing stack of used oil analyses proves it.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/123298-my-used-oil-analysis-reports-5k-10k-20k-miles-using-toyota-oil.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/237241-used-oil-analysis-m1-ep-0w20-12764-miles.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/218993-used-oil-analysis-11k-mi-2013-rav4-limited.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
How much does a synthetic oil change cost at the dealer?
I wasn't thinking every 10k oil change when i got the service plan. It might not have been a good deal if it's only done every 5 months or so.
I drive 400+ miles per week almost all hwy miles.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wasn't thinking every 10k oil change when i got the service plan. It might not have been a good deal if it's only done every 5 months or so.
I am not sure what the dealer charges for a synthetic oil change. I got the free ones at 10k and 20k and then I will do the rest myself.

They say the synthetic oil is good for 12 months or 10k miles. Mobil 1 says it's extended life oil is guaranteed to 15k, but that is to long for me and for Toyota warranty.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Get on the phone and call the dealerships around you and get their price for an oil & filter change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At first I wasn't sure about the 10k mile OCI, so changed the oil on my 2016 LE at 5k miles and 10k miles. I do all my own maintenance. I don't trust that the dealer is going to actually use the proper oil. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they substituted something cheaper to make more money.

After the 10k mile oil change I had been able to look at many oil analysis of Mobil 1 EP and AFE (I use EP) posted on the internet and I am 100% confident in the 10k mile OCI. I have seen many go even longer with EP, 12-16k miles, and the oil analysis still comes back perfect. 10k mile OCI is actually turning out to be on the conservative side. Looks like Toyota got it right. IMO, there is no reason to change the oil sooner than a 10k mile OCI unless you drive in very harsh conditions as noted in the manual. Basically, follow what Toyota says and you will be just fine.

Just like my last RAV4, I will take this one to 300k miles and am confident it will do it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Dealer charges close to $100 for an oil change with Mobil 1 Full synthetic. they do offer a regular Synthetic change for around $54 but its a Blend not full Syn

I Just bought a certified used Rav in September, it had 27k on it and wasnt due for an oil change. I did it anyways my self and spent under $30 for the M1 and Filter
Must say Im not a fan of the new filter set up.......

But Im doing it myself from now on......with M1 I may go the 10k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts