Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic oil filter cap on my 2011 RAV4 has been damaged during an oil change, so it can't be removed until a new one is purchased and fixed. Apparently the plastic cap can be damaged easily if not removed correctly. Can I replace with aluminum or do I have to purchase plastic cap again? Can someone please point out one I can purchase online?

Would either of these work?

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-15620-31060-Filter-Assembly/dp/B008BHP68A/ref=pd_sim_263_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=513njBjspnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1PY75F0ZPEYH7W9Z8P50

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222096162756?item=222096162756&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Yes you can upgrade to the metal one.
New Genuine Toyota Oil Filter Housing Cap Holder 15620 31060 | eBay

Do you have the removal tool. It is a must. I was told to get the tool (real one not a cheap autopart store one, those dont work) before the job. I didn't. Had to wait till I finally got the tool and postponed the oil change for a week.

New Toyota Cap Oil Filter Wrench for Toyota Prius Corolla Rav 4 Auris 14 Flutes | eBay
That oil filter wrench will be a tiny bit loose. Should be 64 mm if you want a perfect fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the Assenmacher and is works well. I have been told by others on this forum this tool works better if you ever have a stuck cartridge. It has more grip because of the groves that catches the fins on the cartridge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XTAGHU0/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1462231543&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=toyota+oil+filter+wrench&dpPl=1&dpID=51W7nMcCl+L&ref=plSrch

·
Registered
37 Posts
I hope the oil change place is paying for the new one. They clearly didn't use the right tool for the job.

Im assuming your have a 4cyl since my v6 came with the metal one. I never understood why Toyota makes some plastic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hope the oil change place is paying for the new one. They clearly didn't use the right tool for the job.

Im assuming your have a 4cyl since my v6 came with the metal one. I never understood why Toyota makes some plastic.
Want to hold oil change place accountable. Problem is I got it changed in January and just found out when I brought it to get changed again in April at a different place. They took a pic and called me right in to show me. First place is going to of course say it wasn't them. How can I even prove?? So annoying...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Want to hold oil change place accountable. Problem is I got it changed in January and just found out when I brought it to get changed again in April at a different place. They took a pic and called me right in to show me. First place is going to of course say it wasn't them. How can I even prove?? So annoying...
Confront them and tell them what happen. You may as well try instead of giving up. You may get lucky but let them have an earful if they deny things for screwing up your car.

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is one reason why I do all my own work and I did replace the plastic oil filter housing with the aluminum one and bought the special tool to remove the filter housing.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 11850 miles

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: the first place is saying there's no way it is them because they have all the proper tools to remove it and are competent on removing these special plastic caps. Also said the it looked like someone tried to remove it with pliers and even a small piece of the plastic fell off - they said it "looked fresh". (implying it was the 2nd place that did it).

I honestly don't even know who to believe. Neither place will admit they did it. The first place is down the block from my apt, So I gave them the OK to order a new (plastic) one for $42 and they're gonna put it on with no extra charge. Said there's no aluminum option for my 2011 Rav 4 cyl - only plastic.

And in the future, before all future Oil Changes, I will make it a point to tell them they need to be careful removing the oil filter cap and use the proper tools.
But how can I even prevent this from happening again? If it does happen again, I wouldn't even know for months after, when I go for another oil change and they can't do it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Unfortunately, there is no fool-proof way to prevent damage to your vehicle, if it has been serviced by someone that is incompetent. You have to due do diligence and pick the best quality shop you can easily get to, build a rapport with the shop - goes a long way if something weird happens. Most owners on this board will do their own work for maintenance items, but in that case where you have to take it in - verify that everything is good to go BEFORE you leave the shop. I'm not shy about checking things on the car before I leave. I'll check fluid levels, get under the car and verify that everything visually looks OK. If there is anything suspect, I'll grab a service manager and have them pull it back on the lift (have to pull teeth to get them to agree to that). Sometimes the damage is not visible, and only people know about it from forums like this. Good example - the oil baffle plate that is in the valvecover. Shops use a "gun" to refill the oil, that gun is usually jammed in the oil fill and shuts off automatically. The problem is, on the 1ZZ-FE engines - right under that fill is the oil baffle plate - the metal gun tip, left at an angle, can actually pry that plate and cause it to make contact with the camshaft - eventually, you're grinding metal on metal. Doing it yourself, there is no way you could cause that damage, unless you tried to force the funnel into the oil fill as deep as possible, with a sledge hammer. My 2016 RAV4 has a lifetime warranty on the powertrain at the dealership. The caveat - ALL work has to be done by the shop, no DIY work, even with receipts. I hate taking the car to the shop where I can't see them do the work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know where the damage was on the plastic cap or what it looked like but is there any possibility it was caused by road debris bounding up underneath?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know where the damage was on the plastic cap or what it looked like but is there any possibility it was caused by road debris bounding up underneath?
The manager said it could have possibly been from the road. NJ roads are terrible. But they also said it looked like someone tried to remove it with pliers...?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts