Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ive finally gotten tired of being screwed over by the local quick-change places... so im going to start doing them myself. I jsut had some quick questions for those of you taht do your own changes also:

1. What oil do you recommend (as in brand) I know its 10W30... ive been leaning toward the castrol syntech. Is there anythign I should know abotu before switching to a synthetic from a regualr oil?
2. What tools will I need? Whats the sizing on the drain plug?
3. Is there enough clearance under there to do it without the use of a jack and stands? Since I dont currently own either, id really prefer to do it without them...

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Drifter. I do my own changes on my 99 Rav. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. I hear alot of good things about Mobil 1, but Castrol Syntec is good stuff too. You should have no problems switching to synthetic from dino juice. My '99 uses 5W-30 according to the owners manual.
2. Metric sockets if you remove the skid plate. I do to cut down on the mess. 14MM wrench for the oil drain plug. I also remove the exhaust manifold heat shield to get at the filter easier.
3. I use car ramps to make it easier and do a visual inspection of the front while the oil drains.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
The Drifter said:
Well, ive finally gotten tired of being screwed over by the local quick-change places... so im going to start doing them myself. I jsut had some quick questions for those of you taht do your own changes also:

1. What oil do you recommend (as in brand) I know its 10W30... ive been leaning toward the castrol syntech. Is there anythign I should know abotu before switching to a synthetic from a regualr oil?
3. Is there enough clearance under there to do it without the use of a jack and stands? Since I dont currently own either, id really prefer to do it without them...

Thanks for any help
Well, it is best to use the oil recommend from Toyota. You can find it on the oil cap. Synthetic, hay, it's your call. Brand, well Castrol and Mobile 1 works for me. Tools, 14mm, oil dump can, you can find them cheap in any Auto Zone or Pepe Boys. Clearance, yea, you don't need and jacks nor stands. How often, I do mine every 3,000 miles. But that's me. Everyone else says every 5,000 miles. It's up to you. Also take in consideration the climate and how you use your RAV4. Slow, mild, or full throttle. :wink:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bah, I do 3k miles because I go off-road or drive it hard on a daily basis...

I said 10W30 because according to toyota 10W30 would be the better choice for the warmer florida climate I live in. When it does get colder, they said to swith back to 5W30 because 10W30 would be too thick for the coler climate and cause hard start-ups... that, and 10W30 is said to last a little longer than 5W...

But yeah... 1 liquid burn, 1 pinch bruise, and 30 mins later.... and my rav is now happily full of Castrol Syntech 10W30... thanks for the info and all the help (especially abotu what size wrench... I actually didnt have a 14mm so I had to go out and buy one... glad i found that out before I started.. haha...)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, all is done... and now im deciding on what oil for my next change

The Castrol Syntech is great oil, and the rav does seem more responsive.... but not enough to spend the extra money on it all the time. I mean, its 5$ a quart, when its 2-3$ a quart for a regular synthetic.

Since my rav is at the 150k mark, im thinking about trying the Castrol High Mileage formula, which is advertised to stop smoking at start-ups, and add extra protection to worn engines. what do you think?

J

·
0 Posts
I use Valvoline Max Life << did I spell that right?... Anyways, my Rav4 is running very smoothly with that brand~

·
Registered
302 Posts
i found this while searching in the net....has anybody tried using this....

it will be getting colder soon, and it says that it provides faster lubrication at low-temperature startup...

i always get an average 20 miles a day driving around....is it worth getting this? hopefully it works out fine...

Perhaps you own something that has to work a lot harder, like a rugged pickup, a minivan that carries a lot of people, or a heavy SUV. You should use an oil that's specifically formulated for these hard working engines. One that gives better protection than conventional oil alone can offer, like Quaker State® Synthetic Blend for 4x4s, SUVs & Trucks.

Quaker State® has created a Synthetic Blend motor oil specifically for 4X4s, SUVs and light trucks which contains anti-wear additives and friction modifiers that help protect your hard-working engine. And, Quaker State®, guarantees your engine with a 10-year/250,000 mile limited warranty, even if you change your own oil.

Compared to conventional oil, Quaker State's® Synthetic Blend for 4x4s, SUVs and Trucks provides:
Protection against engine stress under heavy loads
Faster lubrication at low-temperature startup
Improved resistance to thermal breakdown
Lower oil oxidation and consumption

Exceeds North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SL, SJ, SH and/or ILSAC GF-4, GF-3 or GF-2 oils are specified. Is Compatible with conventional oils. Check your owner's manual for the proper SAE grade.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Most of the stuff that you can buy at Wal Mart is not fully synthetic. Including Mobil 1 since the new formulation came out. Don't get me wrong, it is still fantastic stuff, but you shouldn't be forced to pay the same price.

Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Red Line are all great PAO full synth oils.

5W30 is must and protects the same as 10W30. Hence the 30. It flows slightly better and anything higher will cause some windage losses in the engine. (you will lose MPG)

For the best bang for your buck, check out Shell Rotella T.

FWIW, I'm running Amsoil 5w30 in the motor, Amsoil ATF(synthetic) in the tranny, and Amsoil differential fluid(in both differentials). I get 26mpg on my daily commute which is a mix of city and highway. I can get 27-28 if only on the highway going 65mph. This was a good bump in my previous mileage which I attribute mostly to the differential fluid.

I have 110,000 miles on the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Boo_Duh,

Since you are in Northern climes I would recommend you run 100% Synthetic oil. I have been happy with 5w30 Castrol Syntech.

I have taken a litre of regular oil, semi-synthetic oil, and 100% synthetic oil and stuck them in the freezer for a few days. Only the 100% Synthetic oil remained pourable or liquid when tested. The Semi-Synthetic was no better than regular oil.

For the Cdn guys and gals who have a Canadian Tire nearby if you gas up there regularly they give you 7.5cents per litre Cdn tire money. Just wait for the synthetic to go on sale and buy your oil and filter with Cdn tire money. Works for me! :D

Hey AWD,

Did you make a decision on your tires yet? What did you go with?

Regards,
Allan

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Drifter said:

Thanks for any help
Does your Rav use much oil? If it does I wouldn't spend money on expensive synthetics. If no then go for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
tankd0g said:
Does your Rav use much oil? If it does I wouldn't spend money on expensive synthetics.
I agree with tankdog... if it burns oil or even has high mileage, the chances are that you will end up burning more oil, or start burning oil due to the thin oil... as we all know warn valve seals are one of the most common issues with the RAV for burning oil...

·
Registered
273 Posts
No joints to grease on a RAV4.

Just use a good filter and change the oil.

I drive all year on synthetic oil. $5 a quart is not that expensive when you make one change all year. I change the oil filter twice a year.

You can change the differential oil and transmission fluid while you are down there. I would change that stuff around 100,000 miles or 5 years. I used Amsoil synthetic when I changed mine.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The Drifter said:

Thanks for any help
Tools you will need are 14mm socket wrench, 65mm oil filter wrench, get the type that will fit on a socket wrench. You won't need a jack, just a pan to catch the oil. And 10w30 desiel oil is all I use in both my cars but I seem to be the only one here that believe's in it's benifits :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi,

i'm new to the forum and just bought a used 1999 RAV4 L...i just want to comfirm how many quarts of oil does the manual call for? thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Drifter said:
WOW this is an old one... damn, hard to believe i went from knowing close to nothing about cars, to being one of the best diag techs at my toyota dealership in just about 3 years. :lol:

anyway, the 98-00' RAV's need 4.3qts (4.1 liters) of 5W30.
thanks! i didnt want to get flamed for starting a new thread on a subject that i'm sure was discussed A LOT. also, i know i would have gotten the "search is your friend" response if i did start a new thread.

could you also tell me what type of spark plug is good for the RAV? NGK? bosch? platinum? iridium? thanks!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts