Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2015 XLE used and it was due for it's oil change the other day. I had an '09 Avalon and the filter housing on that was all metal and was no problem to get off. On the RAV I had a wrench for the filter housing but it was a chore to get off. It is plastic and I wondered if changing it with a wamr/hot engine made this mpre difficult due to possibly differeng expansion rates of the material. I got it done but for a few minutes there I was afraid it was going to break or strip something. No, it was not cross threaded. Just wondered if this is characteristic of this new setup.

·
Registered
209 Posts
You can swap it out to a metal housing like many others have done including myself. For long time use I am more comfortable with the previous aluminum filter housing and I grease the threads before re-installing the filter housing.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 15700 miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Where did you get the metal case? Is this something you got from your Toyota Dealer?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Where did you get the metal case? Is this something you got from your Toyota Dealer?
There's a thread here somewhere on the forum that discusses a replacement after market metal housing that is available at one of the chain auto stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc, I don't remember which one) It is made by one of the big aftermarket suppliers.
EDIT:
15620-31060 is the correct OEM part. Dorman 917-016 is an aftermarket part, available at AutoZone.
Here's the thread:
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/126-4-4-mechanical/209490-metal-oil-filter-housing.html

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes, you can get a new, genuine Toyota metal housing on Ebay for about the same price as an aftermarket Dorman .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts