Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 08 RAV4 (I4, AWD) in to the dealer here in GTA area for the oil consumption test at end of January 2016. Just got a call from the dealer that Toyota (Canada) finally authorized and released the parts for the repair to go ahead. So, eleven months after my RAV4 failed the test, it will get the necessary repair.

The service manager indicated if in the process of engine rebuild, they may find worn out parts which may need to be replaced and cost to me is parts only. He mentioned on average, the parts cost is between $500 to $700.

From owners who have gone through this repair before me, could I ask what are the typical parts that may need to be replaced? Water pump, timing chain, spark plugs ... etc? I just want to be prepared and don't want to be taken for a ride.

Thanks in advance!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
If it were me, I'd go ahead and change the water pump but not the timing chain. The plugs are very easy to replace any time.

·
Super Moderator
10,204 Posts
I agree with JuneBug but it would be interesting to see what list they come up with after they get it apart. They'll probably want a quick decision (after you've waited 11 months!) but if you could post it we can probably give you more specific recommendations within a couple hours.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the repair done a few months back. The dealer was to call to confirm if any other parts are to be replaced, for the costs of the parts only, but they didn't bother calling, so cost us $0.

Toyota supplies a kit for the repair, including all the replacement seals for the engine rebuild, so, like others noted, I can only think of waterpump for possible replacement, but even that might not be necessary. Besides, if the waterpump does fails, it will likely do so slowly with obvious signs (overheating/coolant leaking) that gets worse over time, giving you time to replace the pump.

Do keep an eye out for anything abnormal post-repair. Engine rebuild is a major work touching bunch of stuff, and you wanna be sure everything is put back together properly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your advice ... I will post a list (if provided) by the dealer.
Will be bringing the car in on Jan 16.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Again... I just received the list from my dealer, of the suggested extra work, totalling $1400 (Cdn). Could some one who's more knowledgeable than me give an idea of how valid these suggestions are?
Here the list... My apologies if it doesn't format properly, as I'm doing the cut & paste on my phone.

REC REPLACE SPARK PLUGS (SPARK PLUGS) PARTS $ 64.60 / LABOR $ 0.00
REC PERFORM FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE (THROTTLE BODY DIRTY) AFTER ENGINE REPAIRED $169.95
REC REPLACE VVT-I (INTAKE) TIMING GEAR PARTS (STICKING )PARTS$ 278.04 / LABOR $ 54.50
REC REPLACE WATER PUMP (LEAKING) PARTS 258 / LABOR $ 54.50
REC ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD RE-SERVICE AND REPLACE INTAKE & EXHAUST VALVE SEALS (AGE)
(BY MACHINE SHOP) PARTS AND LABOR $ 460.00
REC REPLACE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID (LEAKING FLUID FROM FILLER PLUG) 41.95
REC REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 41.95

TOTAL 1423.49 PLUS TAX

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Another note, I usually take my 2008 Base RAV4 (AWD) to a local mechanic, so if any of the work from the list can be done there, that would be my preference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you a female? You are being taken for a sucker. At the very least, consult with your local mechanic first.
No, not female... But I do admit I am not technically inclined enough to challenge them. I will ask my mechanic what he thinks of this list, but hoping to tap in to the knowledge of the forum members.
I don't have too much time, as I will need to respond to the dealer.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
Not necessary:

REC REPLACE SPARK PLUGS (SPARK PLUGS) PARTS $ 64.60 / LABOR $ 0.00

REC PERFORM FUEL INDUCTION SERVICE (THROTTLE BODY DIRTY) AFTER ENGINE REPAIRED $169.95

REC REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 41.95

REC ENGINE CYLINDER HEAD RE-SERVICE AND REPLACE INTAKE & EXHAUST VALVE SEALS (AGE)

Can be done later and cheaper by your mechanic:

REC REPLACE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID (LEAKING FLUID FROM FILLER PLUG) 41.95

Probably OK to let them do:

REC REPLACE VVT-I (INTAKE) TIMING GEAR PARTS (STICKING )PARTS$ 278.04 / LABOR $ 54.50
The iridium spark plugs are supposed to be good for 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...REC REPLACE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL FLUID (LEAKING FLUID FROM FILLER PLUG) 41.95
...REC REPLACE REAR DIFFERENTIAL FLUID 41.95
I'll chime in:
The 'Front Diff' change price seems odd--since it is co-located inside the housing with the transmission. To change that fluid (full transmission fluid change) would take several liters. By comparison, the 'Rear Diff' only takes about half a liter--and could be done any time. I'd recommend skipping both those services since there is some mis-information going on.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,756 Posts
I'll chime in:
The 'Front Diff' change price seems odd--since it is co-located inside the housing with the transmission. To change that fluid (full transmission fluid change) would take several liters. By comparison, the 'Rear Diff' only takes about half a liter--and could be done any time. I'd recommend skipping both those services since there is some mis-information going on.
Good point, Red! My eyes saw "Front Differential" but my brain was thinking "transfer case" instead. Definitely some clarification needed from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've heard this recommended on the Camry forum where many rebuilds have been done. I have no idea if that is a fair price. Maybe other mechanics will chime in. The other stuff on the list seems like fluff and mirrors. The purpose of the extended warranty is to fix a specific problem, that problem only.

However, most folks would probably pay the price for all and cover their bases. If anything is still wrong after the work, it's on them. Sometimes I think the shop wants to make some easy money on top of what the Corporate office is paying them for the warranty work, but maybe it becomes an incentive to do a more thorough job. And if you have all that stuff done, you might come away feeling like you have a new engine in most respects.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Good point, Red! My eyes saw "Front Differential" but my brain was thinking "transfer case" instead. Definitely some clarification needed from the dealer.
I only know because my dealer pulled that one on me when I first bought it and I didn't know anything about the RAV!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your responses & advice.
Really appreciate the helpfulness from the forum members.

I authorized the dealer to perform the items suggested by JuneBug below.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts