Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this topic has crossed the boards before.

I have a 2015 RAV4 LE AWD Upgrade Package here in Canada I bought in late Oct 2015. When I first brought the car home with less than 10km on it, I checked the oil just for the heck of it and the dipstick showed the oil level right at halfway (midway between 1 and 3 mark and "normal" per the manual) I thought I would check with the dealer and the dealer said that was fine at that level. I guess I expected to see the level near the top (3) mark with a brand new car but, OK, it's where the manual says is "normal", no problem. I probably checked it a few more times in the following couple of weeks and there wasn't much change in its level.

Today, Jan 1, 2016, I check it out of curiosity and it was just a hair above the (1) mark, so very close to being low. The car has around 2200km on it, have driven it fairly conservatively, some highway, but mostly city stop and go. Some high speed driving on the highway but I've tried to take it easy on the engine. There are no signs of any leakage that I can see from the top of or underneath the engine (everything still looks brand-spanking shiny and new in the engine compartment), no leaks on the garage floor, no leaks or residue that I can see anywhere underneath the engine at all. I have not gotten a low oil pressure warning light. The oil is perfectly clean and new looking. I should also add that I have been using Econo-mode a lot the last month and have been averaging about 9.5L of gas per 100km.

Is this cause for concern? My first oil change doesn't come up for another 6000km, or April. The manual says that reasons for increased oil consumption can be when the engine is new, high speeds, heavy traffic, the typical reasons.

Obviously I will have to top off the oil before 6000km/April. Just wondering if I should make an appointment with the dealer. or should I just top it off til my first maintenance? Is it OK to use an equivalent (non-Toyota Genuine Oil) 0W-20 oil for a top off? Is there a recommended non-Toyota oil to use with this RAV? Is it best to top off so the level will hit around the half-way mark between 1 and 3 or go all the way to right below (3) on the dipstick?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Oil temperature can make a big difference in the apparent level on the stick.
Oil should always be checked when the engine is warm, after being shut off for 5-10 minutes to allow it to drain back into the pan.
If it was 20 in October and only 4 today, that is going to make a fair difference in the apparent level.

As for a top-off, if it is above the "low" mark, it is not low.
Anything between the marks, on a warm engine, is acceptable.
The difference between low and high is most likely around 1 litre.

If you are concerned, keep an eye on it. New engines tend to use some oil as they break in. My wife's '15 was down about 3/4 of a bottle when I did the first oil change last weekend.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oil should always be checked when the engine is warm, after being shut off for 5-10 minutes to allow it to drain back into the pan.
If it was 20 in October and only 4 today, that is going to make a fair difference in the apparent level.

If you are concerned, keep an eye on it. New engines tend to use some oil as they break in. My wife's '15 was down about 3/4 of a bottle when I did the first oil change last weekend.
Thanks for the info. Is it OK just to top it off (if necessary) til my scheduled maint in April --and should I worry about using Toyota oil?

How many miles or km did your wife's 15 have when it had gotten down 3/4 of a bottle? What was the level on the stick? I'll drive it til it's fully warm to check next time as it had just been backed out of the garage to allow for my snow blower to get out when I checked it. When you do the oil change, do you fill the crankcase so the level gets up to about full on the stick or back off a bit? Thanks again!

·
Registered
32 Posts
There is nothing wrong with adding oil to bring it up to the top level on the dipstick. Personally I would just use the Toyota oil during break in, but any 0w20 full synthetic oil would do. I also think what you describe is normal for a certain percentage of vehicles, while some use no oil during break in.

I would rather have the oil at the full mark than driving with it at the very lowest mark in the normal range. But that is just the way I treat my vehicles, I prefer the level to be at the highest mark.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Mine has ~9k miles on it, oil level has dropped to just below the full mark, most of the drop was the first 3k or so, hasn't moved much if any since.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Mine has ~9k miles on it, oil level has dropped to just below the full mark, most of the drop was the first 3k or so, hasn't moved much if any since.
Pretty much the same here.
The "down 3/4 qt" was a guesstimate based on what was drained from the engine and filter housing.
I checked the dipstick at 3k and again at 6k and the level was in the acceptable range, so I didn't bother to check it before changing at 10k miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I feel like a bit of an idiot :doh:. When I did a proper oil level check, i.e., took the car for a 3 mile spin to warm it up, parked it in the garage, waited about 20 minutes for the oil to settle and then checked it, it was almost exactly mid-way between low and full, almost the exact spot where it had shown the day I bought it (why they didn't put a full oil fill at the plant I have no idea but it's normal anyway). For some reason, the quick back out of the garage (about 15 feet) to move my snow blower, then about a 5-10 minute wait, then just for sh _ts and grins oil level check, is not the best idea. It created some odd anomaly in the oil level on the stick showing it right above the low level. So, all is well, the RAV is not using oil at an accelerated rate and, even with the new engine break in, it's hardly used any. I've checked subsequent times also and it has been in the same spot. So, word to the wise, when you do an oil check, whatever you do, either check it when it's been sitting a while or better yet, do a full engine warm up, wait 10-20 minutes, then check. Don't do a quick move of the car and then check it before the engine has fully warmed and expect to get an accurate reading.

I really appreciate everyone's comments on this thread. I've checked the oil level on a lot of different machines over the years but I guess I had never checked it in that particular misguided sequence of moves and it kind of threw me. Being an expensive car and all and the worry of having an issue so early on can make a person a bit unnecessarily jumpy:shock:!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts