Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK just finished my test and it failed. Looking at the recall it looks as though they just put pistons in the engine. I was wondering what else I should have done at this time. It has around 160K on it. I was thinking timing chain for sure and maybe water pump. Does anyone know if they will do additional repairs during the recall? Will they charge me less to do so since the engine will be out of car?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You already have the 2 items I would have suggested. And yes the labour should be free since they are supposed to disassemble the majority of the block to measure specs on the crank/journals etc.

I'd just call ahead and ask to be sure... I know it says in my letter that the dealership may suggest parts to be replaced not covered under the program and those I understand paying for, but since they need to reassemble the block I would assume labour is free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got my car back today. My daughter went and picked it up. Check engine light was on and VSC. She took it back and they said it was oxygen sensor. They said it was common for the oxygen sensor to need replacement after the recall. I have not seen the car yet but I think they are full of it. Not sure what the deal with VSC light is.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Got my car back today. My daughter went and picked it up. Check engine light was on and VSC. She took it back and they said it was oxygen sensor. They said it was common for the oxygen sensor to need replacement after the recall. I have not seen the car yet but I think they are full of it. Not sure what the deal with VSC light is.
Is yours front wheel drive?...usually a few lights come on when the check engine light does...the computer will disable some systems til the check engine problem has been fixed...

·
Registered
88 Posts
VSC and engine line comes on, as well as the famous ECU code for any CEL. It'll disable your 4WD until the code is cleared.

Since you're in the US - go to any Autozone and have the codes cleared for free.

Drive and if it comes back on - replace the O2 sensor.

I've had an O2 sensor code come on for the past 50,000 kms but wasn't going to fix it since my 2.4 burns more oil than fuel. Now that I have that fixed I'll replace the O2 sensor, but normally when it comes up I clear it and it doesn't come back on till a month later.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Yeah 2006. Front wheel drive.
Figured it was since you didn't mention the 4 wheel drive light...chances are all that oil getting burned has killed that o2 sensor...you could clear the code and see if it comes back, but I would just replace them both and be done with it...

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I agree with rav4sys....oil burning would certainly affect the sensors. Change them and be done!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just kind of odd that it happened after the repairs. Just thought I would check and see if anyone else had had this happen.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had my 07 fixed after failing the test. Got it back yesterday. They had a piston repair kit with new pistons, rings, fipg oil pan, head gasket, oil injectors. Car has more power and I noticed its running a little cooler as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
my '07 failed today. Hoping all goes well. I asked them that when they broke it down to let me know if there's anything that needs a freshen up. Looking forward to getting it back and hoping there's no CEL or VSC light coming on. Until then, I'm enjoying this free rental '15 with the sunroof. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's my understanding that Toyota (corporate) pays the bill for whatever the dealer has to do. So I'm not quite sure why so many people say their dealer is out to get them on not doing the repair. If they're just writing up an invoice to corporate and getting paid to do it, it seems like they'd be doing EVERYTHING reasonable if it needs the fix (ie doing the gaskets, oil injectors, pan, etc...).

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
It's my understanding that Toyota (corporate) pays the bill for whatever the dealer has to do. So I'm not quite sure why so many people say their dealer is out to get them on not doing the repair. If they're just writing up an invoice to corporate and getting paid to do it, it seems like they'd be doing EVERYTHING reasonable if it needs the fix (ie doing the gaskets, oil injectors, pan, etc...).
I'm under the impression that Toyota pays the dealer a flat fee for any given warranty work. If that's so, then the dealer could be looking to "pad" the bill that would be paid by the owner. But yes, just doing the basic repair shouldn't be a hassle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only took them 3 days to do the piston repair - got it back last night. They replaced the pistons and rings and gave me the new oil pan. Runs incredibly well. Incredible difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am witing for my Dealesrhip to receive the parts, They ran out of the parts I think since December, so they could not repair for that Oil consumption since then.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts