Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failed my oil consumption test and wanted to know what people would recommend doing while they're in there. Its a 2008 4cyl Rav4. They said they would check the water pump to see if it needs replacing. Suggested spark plugs which seems a given. Also suggested new valves due to burnt oil buildup at about $500. Not sure on that one. And they suggested timing belt but since these are chain drive I assume they mean tensioners? Anything else? Truck has 92k miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
New valves due to oil buildup? That makes no sense since oil consumption due to bad piston rings wouldn't cause it. I've seen lots of buildup on the back of the valves but it's due to bad valve stem seals not rings. Even then they just need cleaning not replacement.

Also not sure how you "check" a water pump. Guess you could see if there's any play in the shaft but usually they either leak or they don't. My original pump has 133,000 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, didn't make sense to me either but this is the dealer service department after all. Gotta get that commission!

So spark plugs will get done. Water pump - do regardless or only if it looks worn? Are there chain tensioners that should/could be replaced?

·
Registered
53 Posts
As far as the buildup on the valves are concerned, you could have them show you the build up on the valves, when they get the head off. you should be able to see the valves through the intake and exhaust ports. I would expect the buildup to be only on the exhaust side as the intake gets washed by gasoline. ( I don't believe yours is direct injection)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How big of a pain in the ass is the water pump to do normally? I'm used to 100k pump lifespan but not sure if maybe Toyota ones are better than others. Motor mounts are probably worth doing now that I think about it so I'll add that to the list unless its a complete waste.

For valves it sounds like a $10 can of seafoam is the way to go, if anything.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Change the water pump while you are in there, use a genuine Toyota water pump: it has lasted you this long. The guaranteed for life jobbers ones are not as good, and what is the good of a guaranteed for life if you have to go through the hassle of changing it once a year. As far a seafoam is concerned, if there is a lot of burnt oil buildup on the exhaust, you would be better off getting them removed, cleaned mechanically and then reseated IMO. Motor mounts, if they are not cracked or oil softened, they should be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here's what they suggested:
Spark plugs - $105
Water pump - $216
16 valve seals - $352
Drive belt - $94

Plugs seems really high. I can get a set of 4 OEM iridium ones for about $30. They seem pretty easy to get to so I'll just plan on doing these myself.
Water pump on mine is fine, but I'm tempted to bite the bullet on this one as if I have to do it later it'll definitely cost me more since it seems like a pain to do myself. On the other hand, I've had no problems with aftermarket brands and they cost $30 plus at 92k miles I could very well only have used about 2/3 of my current pump's lifespan.
Valve seals - They said they replaced half under the recall but the other half aren't covered and should be done since its a very expensive job and if they fail down the road Toyota will say too bad. This seems like something worth doing.
Drive belt - I was under the impression I had a timing chain, are they referring to a different belt? Either way, I figure its time to replace this anyways and I hate doing belts so I'll probably go for it.

Thoughts? After taxes and everything for the 3 items I'm looking at around $700 and was really budgeting more like $500 but I don't want to be cheap now and pay for it later.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
The drive belt would be the external accessory, alternator, A/C one - a $15 belt. Easily replaced if ever needed and a ripoff at $94.

Valve stem seals: They are most likely replacing them on the intake valves but I don't know why. If they do leak it will contribute to oil consumption and years ago (30+) they'd get hard and crack but with today's materials they just don't fail. I had an '86 Accord with 403,000 miles that never used any oil and never had it's valve stem seals replaced. Fiats of the 70s was different story!

So they replace them with the recall - okay I guess they're covering themselves but even bad seals on exhaust valves don't cause oil consumption so IMO there's no reason to replace them EVER.

·
Registered
53 Posts
So here's what they suggested:
Spark plugs - $105
Water pump - $216
16 valve seals - $352
Drive belt - $94

Plugs seems really high. I can get a set of 4 OEM iridium ones for about $30. They seem pretty easy to get to so I'll just plan on doing these myself.
Water pump on mine is fine, but I'm tempted to bite the bullet on this one as if I have to do it later it'll definitely cost me more since it seems like a pain to do myself. On the other hand, I've had no problems with aftermarket brands and they cost $30 plus at 92k miles I could very well only have used about 2/3 of my current pump's lifespan.
Valve seals - They said they replaced half under the recall but the other half aren't covered and should be done since its a very expensive job and if they fail down the road Toyota will say too bad. This seems like something worth doing.
Drive belt - I was under the impression I had a timing chain, are they referring to a different belt? Either way, I figure its time to replace this anyways and I hate doing belts so I'll probably go for it.

Thoughts? After taxes and everything for the 3 items I'm looking at around $700 and was really budgeting more like $500 but I don't want to be cheap now and pay for it later.
Plug price is very high.
Water pump 30$ plus installation. My experience is that the guaranteed for life aftermaket ones have a short life and you have to pay to have it replaced. OEM about 120$ plus installation. good for another 100,000 miles
Valve seals If they replaced half of the valve seals already (one per valve) why do you need 16?
Drive Belt I refer you to this Does my vehicle have a timing belt or timing chain?

Serpentine belt 20$, tensioner, 150$, idler 45$,tensioner pulley 25$.

In my opinion this dealer must have large glass doors and can see you coming. They are attempting to have you pay for a large portion of the warranty work, to maximize their profit. It would not surprise me if they submitted the bill for the warranty work back to Toyota and included some of the work that you paid for already. If it were me I would avoid this dealership as if it had the plague. Just my opinion though

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I asked if it was intake or exhaust they said they replace the "bottom" valve seals as part of the recall. Didn't really make any sense to me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sad thing is its one of the better dealerships in my area.

Its a 2008 4cyl, so it seems I have a timing chain and a serpentine accessory drive belt. For some of the items, like plugs, they're probably charging me .75hr labor or something like that as well. The pump and belt they said weren't being charged labor. For valve seals, how many valves is my engine? I assumed 32, but that seems a bit excessive for a 4cyl now that I think about it.

Sounds like water pump may be worth it and maybe I can talk them down on the belt. Putting on a used belt when its 10yr old and has nearly 100k miles seems ridiculous, but so does the price though it seems like its around $65 for an OEM belt from a Toyota dealer.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Your engine has 4 valves/cylinder = 16 total.
Short answers:
Extra valve stem seals - waste of $352. Because they will never fail.
Belt - waste of $74. DIY
Spark plugs - waste of $75. DIY
Water pump - decent price except that it's a 5-minute job with the engine out and it may never fail while you own the car.

It's your $$$ but I'd be saving $352 + 74 + 75 + 216 = $717 if it was mine.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The drive belt would be the external accessory, alternator, A/C one - a $15 belt. Easily replaced if ever needed and a ripoff at $94.

Valve stem seals: They are most likely replacing them on the intake valves but I don't know why. If they do leak it will contribute to oil consumption and years ago (30+) they'd get hard and crack but with today's materials they just don't fail. I had an '86 Accord with 403,000 miles that never used any oil and never had it's valve stem seals replaced. Fiats of the 70s was different story!

So they replace them with the recall - okay I guess they're covering themselves but even bad seals on exhaust valves don't cause oil consumption so IMO there's no reason to replace them EVER.
If you don't mind me asking, what recall are you referring too? I did a quick check here (2008
Toyota RAV4 Recalls
) and I didn't see anything that reference a recall on the valve stem. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apparently some of the valve seals are replaced under the oil consumption fix which is technically not a recall but easier to just call one.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Yeah I just threw in the term "recall" because I didn't want to figure out what the official name was for the excessive-oil-consumption-customer-complaint-and-confirmation-test-Toyota-sometimes-remedy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts