Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Rav 4 with a 2.5 I 4 with 98,000 miles and it is using a quart of oil at 3,500 . I am interested in knowing if this is normal for the age and miles. I bought it new and has always had the oil changed at 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
2007 and up 2.5 4cyl engines do not have the oil usage issue of the earlier 2.4 engines. That's not to say that any engine could have an oil usage problem. A qt every 3500 miles, while annoying, isn't considered to be a problem. Have you had it checked for leaks? Did it start all of a sudden, or gradually?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you noticing any oil leaks? I have an 09 2.5 and it was loosing oil from a rear main engine seal leak. Once I fixed that I found that I could go about 6,000 miles to a quart which is oil change time for me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not noticed any leaks , and the lost of oil started very gradually. I was not worried about the amount over the miles driven but was more curious where other Rav owner with the same engine , age and mileage had experienced any oil loss similar to mine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am sure it is the 5W20 as I have always had the same mechanic do the oil change, that is what is indicated on the invoice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not aware of any common oil consumption issues with the 2.5L engines. My '11 has 130k miles on the 2.5L engine and doesn't have any noticeable consumption between oil changes. I change the oil every 7500 miles and use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. I used to run 5W-20 or 0W-20 (which is specified in owner's manual) and had no noticeable consumption with the lighter oil, either. I switched to 5W-30 several years back when I started putting 3k to 6k miles per year of high speed towing and/or roof box usage--figured the slightly heavier weight oil would be better with the additional strain involved with towing.

In short, it doesn't matter what oil I use or how many high speed highway miles or slower city miles I do...I've never had any real noticeable consumption.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts