Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so just took my Rav for a warrant of Fitness and failed it on Oil contamination of power steering belt & pump! Found this a little hard to believe as no signs of oil dripping or losing oil and having to top up more than usual, feel like as I'm a female they may have been trying to exploit me. Any feedback gratefully appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,510 Posts
I'm guessing a warrant of fitness if like an inspection for road worthiness? Why not drain the pump with a turkey baster, install new fluid, then go for a re-inspection? If the belt has fluid on it then install a new one just prior to the re-inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the useful info will give this a try! I just felt he was thinking I'm some dumb blonde and wanted my money for a job that perhaps is not necessary. I'm no mechanic but in his comments there were issues with L/H outer cv boot split Alternator belt perished, rear door check strap is loose all 3 of these issues not needing attention just so I know the problems

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
If you do trust the evaluation and advice from the person or shop which conducted the evaluation, is there another place where you can have this inspection done and which has a good reputation for fairness?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with Blogson. I'm female also and have seen more than my share of rip off mechanics. Definitely go somewhere else. Ask friends, family and colleagues for recommendation of an HONEST and hardworking mechanic. I used to drive 35 minutes to the other end of the city to take my car to an honest and reliable shop.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It just means that the pump has a slight leak that has made its outside and belt oily, Bluey had that issue when I first got him, I fixed it with a good degreaser wash and a new belt + tighten the PS return hose clamp. should take a competent mechanic 20 mins to do both belts and give it a quick wash down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts