Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Got a problem and need some quick help. This is on a '08 Rav4 with the 4 cylinder engine. We're heading to Canada tomorrow and on the way home from work the Rav4 threw CEL, VSC and 4WD indicator lights. The oil light also started to flicker. I checked the oil level and it was about a quart low, so I topped it up. I got the code pulled at the parts shop, and it comes out as a "P0012, camshaft position "A" timing over retarded bank 1". Their software states that it's most likely the Oil Control Valve that needs to be replaced. They've got the part in a range of prices, but my manual doesn't mention how to replace these items, or where they are. I'm happy to do the work (in fact I'd rather do it myself) but my experience is mainly with a '99 Jeep Wrangler, a far cry from the '08 Rav4. I'd really appreciate it if y'all could give me some guidance on how to handle this, especially if you could post a pic indicating where this part lives. If you disagree with the diagnosis, please chime in as well.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Here is some info that may help. This thread discuss the location and goes into removing it but it is for the Gen2 but maybe similar to the Gen3.
There is a diagram location for a Gen2 that may give you a clue where it is.

I think this video shows removing an oil control valve on a 07 RAV4 :

You do know the 2.4 litre engine have problems burning excessive oil ? Many people have this problem with this engine(06-08).

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hey Folks,

Got a problem and need some quick help. This is on a '08 Rav4 with the 4 cylinder engine. We're heading to Canada tomorrow and on the way home from work the Rav4 threw CEL, VSC and 4WD indicator lights. The oil light also started to flicker. I checked the oil level and it was about a quart low, so I topped it up. I got the code pulled at the parts shop, and it comes out as a "P0012, camshaft position "A" timing over retarded bank 1". Their software states that it's most likely the Oil Control Valve that needs to be replaced. They've got the part in a range of prices, but my manual doesn't mention how to replace these items, or where they are. I'm happy to do the work (in fact I'd rather do it myself) but my experience is mainly with a '99 Jeep Wrangler, a far cry from the '08 Rav4. I'd really appreciate it if y'all could give me some guidance on how to handle this, especially if you could post a pic indicating where this part lives. If you disagree with the diagnosis, please chime in as well.

Thanks,
Adam

This might help its for 2007- Camry 2.4

http://www.autozone.com/repairguide...ing-Oil-Control-Solenoid/_/P-0996b43f81b3d637

·
Registered
659 Posts
The oil control valve is easy to remove and test. But there is also an oil filter for the OCV that can be clogged and cause that trouble code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help folks, I really appreciate it.

It certainly looks a lot like the ones in the videos, the Spanish one in particular. Since I knew the oil was full (and a little over) I drove it on a few errands last night, and the lights stayed on. On the advice of the parts shop folks, I pulled one of the battery cables for 15 minutes to let the electronics reset. I then replaced the cable and ran it in the drive for about 5 minutes and the lights did not come back on. Hopefully this problem was caused by just not having enough oil in the system for the valve to function properly. I'll run it again on errands this morning and get it out on the highway for a while to give it a better test. I'll also take my tools with me on the road. It seems like this filter, and valve aren't all that tough to replace and fairly common. I've already gotten oil and a funnel and plan to check the oil level every few hours.

I didn't realize this model year had an oil consumption problem until yesterday when I stumbled upon it while researching this problem. I'll have to dig into that in more detail. If anyone wants to post some links to look at or provide a short summary here, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
There must be hundreds of entries here regarding this. Give the search function a go, it works pretty well. Do serious research, Toyota might rebuild the engine for you at no charge.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Thanks for the help folks,

I didn't realize this model year had an oil consumption problem until yesterday when I stumbled upon it while researching this problem. I'll have to dig into that in more detail. If anyone wants to post some links to look at or provide a short summary here, that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Adam

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, problem solved, sort of . . .

I put in the new oil control valve. That seems to have solved the check engine light, VSC light and 4WD light.

I looked high and low for the oil control valve filter/strainer. The parts stores don't know it exists, and the dealer doesn't have it on hand. He showed me a diagram of where that filter is located and it looks like it's buried in the parts under the valve cover and head. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable digging around in there, so I let it go for now.

As I've been dealing with this issue, the oil lamp has gone from occasionally flickering to steady on. So, I fixed one problem and am left with a second one. I know it was low on oil when this whole process started. I added and seem to have over filled it somewhat. I was hoping that simply being over full was the problem so I drained out oil until I got it to read right at the full mark. No joy, the lamp is still steady on. I do see that it goes out under heavy acceleration and/or engine revs, around 5000-6000. So, where do I go from here?

At this point, we'll be leaving the Rav4 at home and we'll take the Corolla on the road trip. It's not as roomy or as comfortable, but I'm not happy with the idea of driving the Rav4 1000 miles with the number of troubles it's had and seems to still be experiencing.

Thanks,
Adam

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad oil pressure sending unit. Should be fairly simple to replace.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I looked high and low for the oil control valve filter/strainer. The parts stores don't know it exists, and the dealer doesn't have it on hand. He showed me a diagram of where that filter is located and it looks like it's buried in the parts under the valve cover and head.

It is located behind the power steering pump. You have to unscrew an allen 8mm plug, then the strainer can be removed. I just cleaned mine today.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
It is located behind the power steering pump. You have to unscrew an allen 8mm plug, then the strainer can be removed. I just cleaned mine today.
There is no power steering pump on a 2008 RAV4.

·
Registered
659 Posts
There is no power steering pump on a 2008 RAV4.

I have a RAV4.2, so I have the steering pump. But the engine is the same as his 2008.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts