Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change the engine oil in my 2000 on a Sunday (dealer closed) so I dropped into Canadian Tire to get some oil
and a filter .
I ended up getting a Fram oil filter .
When I took the old (OEM) filter off at home I noticed that the
Fram filter was 1" shorter then the Toyota one :shock: .

I ended up putting the Fram on but decided to change the oil and filter sooner the next time around .
I'm not so sure that a smaller filter is any cause for concern but it
never hurts to play it safe .

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I think sometimes depending on the manufacturer of the filters the size may vary slightly also due to construction of the filter inside...
I always like to use OEM filters, considering the price difference is not huge... I know sometimes OEM filters may change in size due to new designs, don't know how often that happens but it has...
You can always doublecheck the part# you got for the FRAM to make sure...

V

·
0 Posts
Hey,
I had a similar concern when i bought the FRAM oil filter. If you bought it from Canadian Tire or Part Source they usually provide one that fits the RAV, pretty sure it's PH4967 (can't remeber from the top of my head). I had mine in for 2000km and everything seems to be working fine, Gotta love the "Grip" on the filter especially if you got some oil on your hands.

Since we're on the topic of oil filters, How tight should you tighten the filter. I had some previous experiences where oil would leak after an oil change cause the filter wasnt tight enough (was done by mechanic). Since I started changing my own oil there hasn't been any dripping but for future reference should I tighten as much as I can?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Depends on the application. One little know fact is that on each filter of any reputable quality it says on the side how much to turn it after contact with the engine mounting surface. Example: it will say 1 3/4 turn or 3/4 turn. It usually depends on the diameter of the filter.

One key thing to remember, always wipe down the mounting surface to ensure it is clean and that there is not an old gasket left behind. Always rub some oil on the new filter gasket before mounting and believe it or not according to the guidlines on each filter, the filter does need to be pretty tight. Don't want leaks.

Later. M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts