Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never remove when changing oil filter. Just unscrew the canister. Maybe a little more messy but I don't see the point of draining the canister before removing it. Anybody else skipping this step?

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I don't remove it and I bet most people don't. It can be more trouble in some cases I heard aftermarket canister ones leak like the Dorman drain cap does not seal as good as the Toyota one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I go to a top mechanic, with a 2 man shop / they put the '08 RAV4 Limited v6, on the hoist.
- and they only remove the aluminum canister
- change the "O" ring on the canister base
- use my supplied WIX XP Synthetic oil Filter (57047XP)
.... and throw the white plastic thingy away
- best oil I found is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum

Labor Charge = $15 cash
Syn. Oil = $29/5.0 Jug...takes 6.1 liters
WIX XP = $10.05 (RockAuto) + $5 ship...buy 3-4/time
Oil Change Freq...every 10,000 Km.
- no oil analysis needed / my used oil, still retains half of its honey color

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Same here. The 3/8 square hole in the cap makes it easy to remove and reinstall the canister w/o special tools. I suppose if it ever comes loose I'll change the little valve thingy but until then I just throw away the extra parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here. The 3/8 square hole in the cap makes it easy to remove and reinstall the canister w/o special tools. I suppose if it ever comes loose I'll change the little valve thingy but until then I just throw away the extra parts.

Your plug must be torqued in REALLY TIGHT if you can remove the canister using the 3/8s drive hole. But I may try it myself next time.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i remove mine. Did it a couple of times with just removing the canister and did not like the mess. There is still a tiny bit of oil that comes through but not as much as when not pre-draining it. It is an extra few minutes but I feel it is worth it for myself.

I cut a piece of tube and attach it to the white drain plug device. Useful as I just drain it into a used yogurt container. Works well and I've been using the same drain piece for a few years now

·
Registered
31 Posts
I replace my oil cartridge filter on our 3.5L 2G-FE every 5 k miles. We have 3 Toyotas with the 3.5. An '07 Sienna, '08 Highlander and the '10 Rav4. My local Toyota dealership sells a case of 10 cartridge oil filters for $40 out the door. Hendrix Toyota of Apex NC

Why wouldnt you change your oil filter cartridge? A proper oil service is the cheapest insurance you can give your car.

BTW, the '07 Sienna just passed 224 k miles. Beautiful condition.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I replace my oil cartridge filter on our 3.5L 2G-FE every 5 k miles. We have 3 Toyotas with the 3.5. An '07 Sienna, '08 Highlander and the '10 Rav4. My local Toyota dealership sells a case of 10 cartridge oil filters for $40 out the door. Hendrix Toyota of Apex NC

Why wouldnt you change your oil filter cartridge? A proper oil service is the cheapest insurance you can give your car.

BTW, the '07 Sienna just passed 224 k miles. Beautiful condition.
I think this thread is discussing how to change the filter, not whether to change it.>:D

·
Registered
184 Posts
I remove it and drain the filter. Takes a second and makes job much cleaner, especially if you doing it in someone else`s garage haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts