Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my gf had her uncle do her oil change because he wanted to do it for her since he was willing to. But it ended I guess that last time she took it in the dealership they over tightened it he says. And when trying to take the oil filter off with the right oil filter wrench he ended up snapping the tabs off of it.....And now we still have it on there right with tabs broken. what would you Guys recommend doing to take it off? tech really torqued it too much I guess.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
My wife's 2018 RAV4 was exactly like that - I ended up broken the tab and still unable to loosen it. I then used a propene torch to heat around and easily remove it. I had to replace the cap (housing) with a metal one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife's 2018 RAV4 was exactly like that - I ended up broken the tab and still unable to loosen it. I then used a propene torch to heat around and easily remove it. I had to replace the cap (housing) with a metal one.
you have any other ideas on removing it?

·
Registered
232 Posts
My suggestion is when you do get it off, replace it with an aluminum housing. Over time the plastic ones become brittle and break because of the heat from the oil passing through it. When you tighten it, just turn it so it's snug. This is what I do and I have never had a problem getting it off. You can buy an aluminum housing on Ebay or Amazon. Make sure it will fit you engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts