Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to change the oil and filter @ 971 miles, just because. :) I used a Napa Gold 1368 and Pennziol 5w-30 Dino, and I plan to switch to Mobil 1 at the next interval. I also installed my Filtermag filter magnets and a Fram SureDrain.

The factory filter was VERY tight on the engine, I really had to honk on it to loosen it. Some oil spilled out of it as well, which suprised me. Is the tightness and slight spillage normal?

Anyway the Napa Gold 1368 is noticeably smaller (shorter) than the OEM Toyota filter, and, the Mobil 1 M1-103's I got for $9.99 @ Pep Boys on sale are even shorter. This concerns me.

I'd planned to go with Napa Gold's, they are inexpensive and highly regarded.

But given the difficulty getting the filter off, I'm now wondering if the K&N (with the nut on the bottom) is the better choice.

Finally, Mobil has now launched its 'Extended Performance' line of filters:

http://tinyurl.com/cch32

These will likely be pricey as heck but they are obviously going to be LARGER with more filtering material ... so now I'm back to square 1 re: filter choice.

Thoughts?

-kj-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally, I'm sticking with the NAPA Gold (by Wix) until Purolater finally starts shipping their "Pure One" version for our cars, PL-sumthin.
The Pure One will have the same physical benefits as the NAPA Gold, just (usually) better filtering media. I didn't notice any size diff between the NAPA and the factory filter.

BTW, the Jap.-made, Jap.-market factory filter that I removed looks great, but is hard to come by over the counter. The Toyota dealers sell the very different Thai.-made filters that don't look all that special.

If you must have larger, there is an oversized filter for the Camry V6 that supposedly fits, and the highly-rated Motorcraft PL400S will fit too. And both are wider than the stock size.

I too noticed how the factory had torqued on the factory oil filter, I ended up getting one of those "filter caps" that one uses with a 1/8th drive to remove. Put my NAPA on hand-tight.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks nfafan,

Here is the PureOne you seek:

http://ecat.arvinmeritor.com/smartlink/?partnum=PL14477

Are you sure it's not available yet? I'm off to Pep Boys to check.

I'm not interested in running a 'larger' filter than stock, though I do that on my Pontiac Grand Prix. I was just curious about the size differences between the stock filter, the Napa Gold, and the Mobil 1. Guess it has to be that way to fit many different applications.

-kj-

·
Registered
986 Posts
Toyota switched from the smaller oil filter to the slightly larger filter in 2001. However, many oil filter companies still use the smaller of the two filters for both applications. It really doesn't matter that much if you change your oil regularly. The oil filters for the new GM V8's have shrunk a bit, and are only a little larger in diameter than the ones for our Rav.

Spillage from the oil filter is normal because of the way it is mounted. Not all of the oil can flow back into the pan, so it sits above the filter mount until you unscrew the filter. As for getting the filter off, you should get a filter wrench cap that uses a 3/8" ratchet and goes on the end of the filter.

I use the standard Toyota filters whenever I can get them at a decent price. If I don't use the Toyota filters, I use the standard Purolator filters. Napa (Wix) and CarQuest are also good, but I don't think the K&N or Mobil 1 filters are worth the extra money. Honestly, as long as you aren't using a Fram filter you are fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Jeff said:
Toyota switched from the smaller oil filter to the slightly larger filter in 2001. However, many oil filter companies still use the smaller of the two filters for both applications. It really doesn't matter that much if you change your oil regularly. The oil filters for the new GM V8's have shrunk a bit, and are only a little larger in diameter than the ones for our RAV.

Spillage from the oil filter is normal because of the way it is mounted. Not all of the oil can flow back into the pan, so it sits above the filter mount until you unscrew the filter. As for getting the filter off, you should get a filter wrench cap that uses a 3/8" ratchet and goes on the end of the filter.

I use the standard Toyota filters whenever I can get them at a decent price. If I don't use the Toyota filters, I use the standard Purolator filters. Napa (Wix) and CarQuest are also good, but I don't think the K&N or Mobil 1 filters are worth the extra money. Honestly, as long as you aren't using a Fram filter you are fine.
EDIT: Absolutely!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great feedback, thanks. I'm back on the Napa Gold (Wix) bandwagon, LOL! I just returned those $9.99 Mobil-1 filters.

-kj-

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I'm sticking with the Toyota filters. They've worked very well on my Celica according to my oil analysis. And the RAV's is essentially a longer version of the same model.

The factory fitted filter was a bear to get off, but since I've put the replacements on by hand it hasn't been a problem since.

Will be getting an analysis done on the RAV next time I do a change. Using Mobil 1.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts