Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil FIlter - where to buy

4600 Views 65 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  SLS Artemis
Aloha from Hawaii! It's about 6 months since we bought our 2022 Rav4 Hybrid XLE and the dealer says they will not change the oil until it reaches 10,000 miles. It has about 3,900 miles on it and I want to do an oil change when it reaches 6 months in December. I will get 0W-16 Toyota Synthetic oil from the dealer but what is the Toyota oil filter number? I've been searching but no Toyota dealer has it listed. Our local dealership has an online ordering system but the oil filter isn't shown. The VIN ends with a "J". Thanks in advanced.
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
2022 RAV4-Hybrid XLE Premium, Blizzard Pearl
63 Posts
Mobil-1, 0W16 from Walmart should be less expensive than the dealer. When I did my 5K oil change in my Rav4 back in June it was about $26 for the 5 gallon jug. At that time Mobil-1 was doing a rebate as well so my cost was $16 each for 2 of the 5 gallon jugs. Finding 0W16 at Walmart can be a challenge since most stores do not stock a lot of it at any one time. I paid about $8 for the filter and crush washer at my dealer.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
The oil filter from the Dealership was cheaper than the Toyota part at Walmart. Don't forget to get a crush washer for the oil pan as well.
I purchased the 5-qt jug of 0w-16 from Walmart. I don't recall the price but it wasn't cheap. Not that it was expensive, however it was not on sale. I don't think I would waste my money on dealership oil costs.

Your Hawaii prices may vary so shop around. Call your dealership to ask how much the filter is. I think it was about $1.50 cheaper than Walmart. So if it costs you more time and money to go to two stores, then shop Walmart and forego the washer. I didn't get the washer when I changed oil a month ago.

You also need a good oil filter wrench.

· Registered
11 Posts
Speaking of oil filters... I have a 2022 Rav4 XLE Hybrid with about 1100 miles on it. Now that the car is past its break in period I want to change the oil and filter, but I CAN'T GET THE FILTER OFF! I have used 3 different oil filter wrenches to no avail. Is this Toyota's way of making get our filters changed at the dealership? Suggestions?

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Hybrid
122 Posts
Speaking of oil filters... I have a 2022 Rav4 XLE Hybrid with about 1100 miles on it. Now that the car is past its break in period I want to change the oil and filter, but I CAN'T GET THE FILTER OFF! I have used 3 different oil filter wrenches to no avail. Is this Toyota's way of making get our filters changed at the dealership? Suggestions?
They're trying to tell you that it's due at 10,000 miles, not 1100.

· Registered
373 Posts
I use this cap wrench with a microfiber towel between the wrench and the oil filter for added grip and friction: Robot or human?

· Registered
423 Posts
Bazinger,
I just measured my spare oil filter, 90915-YZZN1. The end of the filter measures 64 MM, with a digital micrometer. . Yet your link above is for 74-76 MM size wrench? Is that the correct link?

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Just keep trying, or stick a big screwdriver through it.
They are definitely snug. My filter wrench slipped a few times but with diligence and persistence (and getting in a good position to securely hold the filter while using the ratchet to loosen, it did find budge.

· Registered
373 Posts
It might actually be this one: Robot or human?

Let me check when I get back home, but the take away is that I use a microfiber towel to protect the oil filter from damage from the wrench and to increase grip. It help removing the factory oil filter. It took some trial and error until I arrived at the microfiber towel solution.

Bazinger,
I just measured my spare oil filter, 90915-YZZN1. The end of the filter measures 64 MM, with a digital micrometer. . Yet your link above is for 74-76 MM size wrench? Is that the correct link?

· Registered
16 Posts
I just did my first oil change tonight. My dealer sold me 90915-yzzf1 which is the longer filter. It fits fine and should be easier to get off than the shorter version. The original filter was put on by a gorilla but I got it off using the cap style filter wrench with relative ease.

FWIW I am doing my first two oil change intervals well before the 10K mile recommendation too. I always have dropped the first oil change early and never had any engine oil or oil consumption issues with any of my cars.

· Registered
2022 RAV4-Hybrid XLE Premium, Blizzard Pearl
63 Posts
I did the first oil change myself at around 6K because I was curious about what metals, etc. a lab report would show in the oil. I am thinking I might change the oil again at 15K which is coming up in a month or two to see how a lab report @ 15K will compare to the first one.

I used an oil filter wrench to get the original filter off which was a little tight. I suspect that the oil filters are put on at the engine plant using some sort of device to be more time efficient which also over tightens them.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
I just did my first oil change tonight. My dealer sold me 90915-yzzf1 which is the longer filter. It fits fine and should be easier to get off than the shorter version. The original filter was put on by a gorilla but I got it off using the cap style filter wrench with relative ease.

FWIW I am doing my first two oil change intervals well before the 10K mile recommendation too. I always have dropped the first oil change early and never had any engine oil or oil consumption issues with any of my cars.
Negative, almost everybody here has a tight filter -and I don't believe the filters are installed by hand in the factory. Maybe they are.

Did it not strike you as odd to tighten it as much as it is? It can't be expected to be an easy removal in 6 months with as tight as Toyota thinks the filter should be.

· Registered
608 Posts
Using the right filter wrench makes it super easy. Doesn't matter how tight it is. I have 3 or 4 aftermarket cap wrenches of that size and none of them work right. I have just held onto them for whatever reason.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Negative, almost everybody here has a tight filter -and I don't believe the filters are installed by hand in the factory. Maybe they are.

Did it not strike you as odd to tighten it as much as it is? It can't be expected to be an easy removal in 6 months with as tight as Toyota thinks the filter should be.
Tightened by a gorilla is an expression. No, it wasn't odd that it was that tight. I used to work at a car dealership in service and as I recall all factory installed filters were extra tight compared to cars that had oil changes done by people. It's rare that I can't get a filter off by hand.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Tightened by a gorilla is an expression. No, it wasn't odd that it was that tight. I used to work at a car dealership in service and as I recall all factory installed filters were extra tight compared to cars that had oil changes done by people. It's rare that I can't get a filter off by hand.
Yes, I know it was an expression.
It is commented on by almost everybody who does their first oil change of how tight the filter is.
I have never used used a wrench to install an oil filter.
For all intents and purposes, the filter installation instructions indicate that a Gorilla is needed to properly install.
These filters have the tightest requirement of a filter that I have ever installed. I do not expect to loosen it by hand and I do expect it to be pretty tight when I do the next change.

Inexperienced folks performing an oil change always say how tight the filter was when they want the sense of accomplishment of performing their own maintenance. Here on the Toyota forum on the other hand, almost everybody comments how tight the filter is meaning even experienced people blame a shop or the factory from poorly installing the filter.
In cases when a first-timer makes the claim it's probably false because they have no experience. Here on the other hand, if most claim it is tight, it must be tight.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts