Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil FIlter - where to buy

4601 Views 65 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  SLS Artemis
Aloha from Hawaii! It's about 6 months since we bought our 2022 Rav4 Hybrid XLE and the dealer says they will not change the oil until it reaches 10,000 miles. It has about 3,900 miles on it and I want to do an oil change when it reaches 6 months in December. I will get 0W-16 Toyota Synthetic oil from the dealer but what is the Toyota oil filter number? I've been searching but no Toyota dealer has it listed. Our local dealership has an online ordering system but the oil filter isn't shown. The VIN ends with a "J". Thanks in advanced.
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

· Registered
'21 R4P XSE PP
54 Posts
Aloha from Hawaii! It's about 6 months since we bought our 2022 Rav4 Hybrid XLE and the dealer says they will not change the oil until it reaches 10,000 miles. It has about 3,900 miles on it and I want to do an oil change when it reaches 6 months in December. I will get 0W-16 Toyota Synthetic oil from the dealer but what is the Toyota oil filter number? I've been searching but no Toyota dealer has it listed. Our local dealership has an online ordering system but the oil filter isn't shown. The VIN ends with a "J". Thanks in advanced.
Just ask them to change the oil at 5k instead of 10k, my dealer said okay then at 10k I just took it to a different dealer and they changed the oil again. I reckon even at the same dealer the tech is just doing the 10k service and they’re not going to leave out the oil change. Anyways, demand and you’ll get it, it’s your car they don’t get to decide when an oil change happens.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
Just ask them to change the oil at 5k instead of 10k, my dealer said okay then at 10k I just took it to a different dealer and they changed the oil again. I reckon even at the same dealer the tech is just doing the 10k service and they’re not going to leave out the oil change. Anyways, demand and you’ll get it, it’s your car they don’t get to decide when an oil change happens.
LOL -this is a fun one.

· Registered
373 Posts
with ToyotaCare, you get two free oil changes and the rest is paid. When you want to use those free oil changes is up to you. That's how they explained to me.

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,447 Posts
with ToyotaCare, you get two free oil changes and the rest is paid. When you want to use those free oil changes is up to you. That's how they explained to me.

That is the way I used mine. 2 free and the rest I paid for. Got a 30% off coupon for the Monday after Thanksgiving and since my mileage was about 25k I took advantage.

· Registered
165 Posts
Speaking of oil filters... I have a 2022 Rav4 XLE Hybrid with about 1100 miles on it. Now that the car is past its break in period I want to change the oil and filter, but I CAN'T GET THE FILTER OFF! I have used 3 different oil filter wrenches to no avail. Is this Toyota's way of making get our filters changed at the dealership? Suggestions?
Hi Makamike. The filter is hard to access I know. The problem occurs at the factory in many makes of cars, trucks and motorcycles, because they don’t put any oil on the seal before installation. So the seal sticks to the mount and they are about impossible to get off. I can’[t tell you how many times, on brand new aircraft, it’s taken me an hour or more to remove the filter. Sometimes I’ve had to drive a straight slow screwdriver through them, other times, I’ve ahd to use a chisel on the outer radius at the base to get them off. All because they have been installed dry.

The trick is to get the correct filter wrench first, and just apply a steady force to it. Don’t try and jam it or force it with bumps. It will come off. The last issue I Had was with the outboard on my boat. Same problem and I actually had the correct wrench. I ended up using the chisel and hammer to get it off, after the wrench collapsed the filter.

· Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium J-VIN
286 Posts
I never used any of the free oil changes. The less they touch my car the better. I have a hard time even letting them do warranty or recall work.
I don’t either.

When I had my Camry I asked if they would just give me the oil filter instead of the free oil change and they said no.

Oh well, not a big deal to me, what’s two free oil changes errr, “Toyota care” when you already spent $30-$40K on the vehicle and DIY oil changes are ~$30?

$60 to ensure quality oil is used and it’s done right? That’s a bargain.

· Registered
59 Posts
WOW, you must have a cranky dealership. I have a 2021 RAV4 XLE hybrid. I don’t even have 10,000 miles on it. My dealership has changed the oil twice. The last time was just before the two year free service period was just about to expire.

· Registered
608 Posts
I have more filter wrenches of different sizes and designs than I care to admit. For me I have found that using the right tool makes all the difference. I prefer the proper cap wrench as opposed to a universal wrench. The Toyota filter wrench is worth the money IMO. Having the right tools makes everything easier.

Attachments

· Registered
166 Posts
This was the tool I used on my 2018 Toyota Avalon with the cartridge style filter:
CTA Tools 2475

Build like a tank. I think that may fit the regular oil filter too? When I sold our Avalon I gave the tool to my son, he can use it on his 2015 Camry. This is what happened to the cheaper ebay/amazon quality tool . . .

Input device Peripheral Mouse Guitar accessory Computer hardware

· Registered
18 Posts
Hi Makamike. The filter is hard to access I know. The problem occurs at the factory in many makes of cars, trucks and motorcycles, because they don’t put any oil on the seal before installation. So the seal sticks to the mount and they are about impossible to get off. I can’[t tell you how many times, on brand new aircraft, it’s taken me an hour or more to remove the filter. Sometimes I’ve had to drive a straight slow screwdriver through them, other times, I’ve ahd to use a chisel on the outer radius at the base to get them off. All because they have been installed dry.

The trick is to get the correct filter wrench first, and just apply a steady force to it. Don’t try and jam it or force it with bumps. It will come off. The last issue I Had was with the outboard on my boat. Same problem and I actually had the correct wrench. I ended up using the chisel and hammer to get it off, after the wrench collapsed the filter.
JUST TO SAY I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM GETTING THE FILTER OFF, WHAT I DID WAS TO BUY A OEM FILTER, TAKE IT TO A AUTO STORE AND BUY THE CORRECT SIZE CUP TYPE WRENCH. AS HE SAID WHEN YOU GET THE FILTER OFF YOU WILL FIND THAT THE "O" RING IS DRY. BE SURE TO LUBE THE O-RING AND DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT.

· Registered
20 Posts
Speaking of oil filters... I have a 2022 Rav4 XLE Hybrid with about 1100 miles on it. Now that the car is past its break in period I want to change the oil and filter, but I CAN'T GET THE FILTER OFF! I have used 3 different oil filter wrenches to no avail. Is this Toyota's way of making get our filters changed at the dealership? Suggestions?
@Makamike -- oh you made me laugh, here is my filter after 1 hour of wrangling with 3 different straps and wrenches - I didn't have a filter wrench specific to the rav4 - though all the other cars I've owned, including toyotas, I've never had a specific wrench for the filter, including the prius.... :), so I felt your pain ;).

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Water Motor vehicle

· Registered
1,204 Posts
JUST TO SAY I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM GETTING THE FILTER OFF, WHAT I DID WAS TO BUY A OEM FILTER, TAKE IT TO A AUTO STORE AND BUY THE CORRECT SIZE CUP TYPE WRENCH. AS HE SAID WHEN YOU GET THE FILTER OFF YOU WILL FIND THAT THE "O" RING IS DRY. BE SURE TO LUBE THE O-RING AND DON'T OVER TIGHTEN IT.
That is good advice for installing a new filter, generally.

The OEM Toyota filter comes pre lubed. I did still add a smear of used oil before installing but if a rooking oil changes forgets to add oil to the seal probably not a big deal. Toyota has our back on that one. haha

· Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4, 2014 F150, 1930 & ‘31 Ford Model A
4 Posts
Don’t drive much but tied to get my oil changed early at 1,000 miles then again in subsequent months (I wanted to pay for this). They wouldn’t do it. Finally at one year and 5k they changed it - I paid. Sicko practice of you only get to change oil at 10k.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts