Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the oil of RAV4 2006, but I don't know if I have to change it the oil filter as well. I just bought this car last year with +100k km. Somebody knows? If I do have to change, what tool have to be used?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Yes you need to change the oil filter. You need: Toyota oil filter wrench , 14 mm socket or combo wrench for drain bolt, ratchet and extension for oil filter wrench, funnel and oil tray. I also highly recommend you get a (3/8) torque wrench to torque the oil filter housing. The torque for the oil filter housing is 19 ft lbs. Also I don't bother releasing the bottom oil filter drain plug on the filter housing not to be confused with the drain bolt on the drain pan.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I always remove the oil filter drain plug first. It is the square 3/8" drive hole right in the middle. Typically mine will spin the entire filter housing off unless I give it a quick snap. Then you insert the little plastic drain nipple supplied in the kit. You don't have to do it this way, but it saves you from spilling hot oil all over your face when you remove the filter housing. Also I would not attempt to change the filter without the housing removal tool. Does not need be OE toyota tool, but one made for these filter housings. Generic oil filter wrenches won't work. I tried everything the first time I changed the oil.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes you need to change the oil filter. You need: Toyota oil filter wrench , 14 mm socket or combo wrench for drain bolt, ratchet and extension for oil filter wrench, funnel and oil tray. I also highly recommend you get a (3/8) torque wrench to torque the oil filter housing. The torque for the oil filter housing is 19 ft lbs. Also I don't bother releasing the bottom oil filter drain plug on the filter housing not to be confused with the drain bolt on the drain pan.
I think everybody, including dealers over tighten the filter housing. I know I have been guilty of it. This time I actually remembered to use my torque wrench to tighten the housing, but first I installed it by hand pretty tight. When I checked it with torque wrench at 18ft lb. It only tightened a small amount before the torque wrench audible click. I think the filter housing could probably be tightened by hand to the appropriate torque. One thing I do like to over tighten is the oil filler cap as I have had come loose.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm changing the oil of RAV4 2006, but I don't know if I have to change it the oil filter as well. I just bought this car last year with +100k km. Somebody knows? If I do have to change, what tool have to be used?
I have a question for you, what do you have when you change the oil and not the filter?...A crankcase full of dirty oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Valber
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing