Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning for my first oil change. Have used and like Mobil 1 filters for years. Model for this car is M1-103, $10.99 @ Autozone.

Is there any "larger capacity" (i.e., longer) filters for this car?

I run a "longer" Mobil 1 filter on my 3800V6 Pontiac Grand Prix with great results (Mobil 1 oil as well). 118k and running strong.

Thanks, kj

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes and No

Yes, a wider filter is available that will fit the threads - the filter for a Camry V6. A wider and taller filter - the excellent Motorcraft FL-400S will also fit the threads. Problem is that there is a bit of metal that gets in the way of spinning the filters down. Nothing a Dremel can't handle.

I was about to do just that, so as to use the FL-400S, but I figured that sine my 05 is under warranty, best to use the OEM size filter.

That's why I went with the NAPA (Wix) Gold 1396. Silicon ADBV and spring-loaded bypass valve, just like the FL-400S. Toyota can't complain about that. And, using Mob-1 full synth 5W30.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmmm, thanks. I'm not modding my oil filters. ;-) I will probably go with the Mobil-1 M1-103 (OEM spec). I've heard good things about the Wix filters. What do they run you?

And when did you do the change to synth?

-kj-

·
Registered
87 Posts
kjarrett said:
Hmmmmm, thanks. I'm not modding my oil filters. ;-) I will probably go with the Mobil-1 M1-103 (OEM spec). I've heard good things about the Wix filters. What do they run you?

And when did you do the change to synth?

-kj-
The NAPA Gold 1396 was under USD$6.00. Take a look at one for construction quality, then look at the Mob-1 filter. I think you'll like the better-built Wix sold by NAPA.
Same Wix is available from Carquest in their "Premium" brand, and from Wix of course - but Wix-branded Wix filters are harder to find at retailers. Most retailers are into FRAM, Purolater, STP, Mob-1, others.

I would have went for the Purolater Pure One, but the OEM sized filter isn't in the stores yet, just the Premium (which matches the Mob-1).

I switched to Mob-1 5W30 full synth at 1700 miles. The "factory" oil was already dirty.

Check out the forums at this site for interesting discussions on filters, oil, etc...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/index.html

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks. I'd heard about BobIsTheOilGuy but never been to his site. Will check out the WIX. I seem to recall M1 filters having their design change or something a while back. I bought a case for my 3800V6 before the change. So I guess the Wix is worth checking out. Thanks again. -kj-

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the duplicate..

Hey all, I just posted this in another forum but this is where I should have posted it. When I bought my 05 RAV4 I asked if I could get my oil changes done at any licensed mechanic without voiding the warranty. I was told that I could but that I had to use Toyota oil filters or my warranty would be voided. The following article that I found from the K&N website seems to explain that by law, it can't void the warranty. I was just wondering if this is true or if there's exceptions to this law before I go and ask my salesman about it. Here's the site:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

Thanks,

Dre

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to be careful, in the U.S it is against the law to void warranty for such things like air filters etc unless they are supplied for free(correct me if I am wrong), but I am not sure in Canada if that is the case. I would suggest contacting Toyota Canada and see what they say. Dont just take the dealerships advice as they have to answer to Toyota Canada for warranty claims.

I am using a fram air filter as they are cheaper than stock and have a better seal(rubber as opposed to none for OEM). I asked Toyota Canada about it and they said its fine unless if problems arise they can attribute it to the air filter as the cause.

Just my 2 cents

1 - 7 of 7 Posts