Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm new here; I have a Rav4 2004, Great Cars...
recently, I faced an issue: I noticed oil in the radiator mixed with the water, the oil was very light brown (like sand color). I checked with my mechanic, and he told me that I need to replace the Transmission Oil Cooler, as due to the water quality in my country(lots of calcium in it), it caused the erosions in the cooler, which allowed oil to sneak into the water, and mixed. I changed it, and performed a flushing for my radiator, in order to clean the mess. 2 months later, just today, I noticed same oil in the radiator.

What might be wrong here? the old cooler was pretty messed up, it needed change...

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
Unfortunately the only other cause I know of for oil in the radiator is a failing head gasket. That usually also puts coolant into the engine oil making it a coffee brown color. I'd check for that. Also, was the transmission fluid checked or replaced?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your prompt reply :smile!
When the cooler was replaced, I had to add around 1L of transmission Oil. did not check today if there is missing.

I will check the head gasket, for any possible leaks, but if it's not fine, wouldn't I notice oil coming out of the engine gasket, where I fill the engine Oil?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Have you checked your oil as Dr. Dyno suggested? Also there can be an internal leak or leaks between oil and coolant passages in the head gasket area without the leak being visible from the outside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I'm going to do next. Hopefully, this will be the cause, and I can fix it for good.

I will keep you posted for the results

Peace

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked your oil as Dr. Dyno suggested? Also there can be an internal leak or leaks between oil and coolant passages in the head gasket area without the leak being visible from the outside.
what if the engine oil from the dip stick is fine can we eliminate a head gasket problem? what could the problem be?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts