Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Oil in the exhaust pipe

4K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  rav97 
G
#1 ·
Hi im new to the forums stumbled across them while looking on how to fix the new problem with my Rav4

Its a automatic 2000 4cylinder 130k miles Replaced the transmission at 30k after pulling a u-haul trailor with the built in tow package ( Bad mistake ). Yesterday I changed the oil and rotated the tires. I think i might have slilghty overfilled it the dip stick shows about an inch above full. But anyways.

It started smoking and the check engine light popped up. I thought it was somethingto do with the transmission because going from either 3rd-4th gear or 4-5th ( if it has a 5th im not sure ) it reved real high then slipped into the gear and i had ALOT of white maybe blueish smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. I went home and checked the transmission fluid. It was so low it didnt register on the dip sitck. I put a quart in it then when driving the car again the same thing happened.

I inspected the exhaust pipe and it was heavily lined with oil. This made me think about the oil change and i realized that i just had the front on jack stands wich would make it have more oil then normal. I was wondering if the excess oil is the problem. Or does it have to do with a leak somewhere causing un-wanted fluids getting into the crankshaft/cylinder head. Any info is appreciated thanks.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Do not drive the car again until you get the oil level in your engine to the proper parameters of the dipstick level!!!!! The reason it is smoking is because the engine is so full of oil that it is blowing throughout the combustion chamber instead of just lubricating the moving engine parts. I hope you didn't blow the seals in the engine. Why would you think you could fill a motor "an inch avbove the dipstick level" and think it is OK to drive? That is why they put didpsticks with level indicators in engines in the first place.

The reving between gears on an automatic transmission (particularly if it was a quart low) means you may have run the trans out of fluid and the trans is toast. Whay would an auto trans that was rebuilt 30,000 mile ago not have enough trans fluid?

#3 ·
The engine should be OK if you didnt drive it long and drain out the exces oil.

One of our Toyota forklifts at work dumped all its oil used for the hydraulic lifts into the engine oil sump.......it started smoking like crazy and when we emptied the sump it had over 15 (yes 15) litres in it :D

As for the auto, it sounds like you have major problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.