Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so I just bought a 2008 Toyota a month and a half ago RAV4 it’s in fantastic condition drives and runs great I just did a oil change 5-20 and put a new filter on and I lost like all my oil in 1k miles I checked online for recalls on this model but their was none I asked the owner before me did she have a oil issue she said no and said she uses 5-40 because it burns slower and she changes oil every 5k miles got me thinking ether she’s lying or maybe I did somthing wrong it’s driving me crazy so I don’t smell no oil or burnt oil no smoke from the back and also oil is clean no milky residue no bubbles in the coolant or signs of blown head gasket runs drives great shifts great I don’t know what happen I later found somthing tho so I removed the case on top with the Toyota symbol the case that’s on top of the valve cover gasket and underneath the white sponge type fabric is black and had oil soaked inside of it fresh oil but I don’t see anything leaking from the valve cover but then again I probably wouldn’t if it’s soaking into the top is this even logical? I’m not mechanic but should I be worried ? Am I looking to rebuild this engine I don’t have this kind of money and I was really hoping this isn’t nothing serous let me know guys please thank you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So, no oil leakage for the first 45 days, then you change the oil and it's all gone in a few weeks? I suspect either the filter or the drain plug were installed incorrectly and it just poured out the bottom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys so I just bought a 2008 Toyota a month and a half ago RAV4 it’s in fantastic condition drives and runs great I just did a oil change 5-20 and put a new filter on and I lost like all my oil in 1k miles I checked online for recalls on this model but their was none I asked the owner before me did she have a oil issue she said no and said she uses 5-40 because it burns slower and she changes oil every 5k miles got me thinking ether she’s lying or maybe I did somthing wrong it’s driving me crazy so I don’t smell no oil or burnt oil no smoke from the back and also oil is clean no milky residue no bubbles in the coolant or signs of blown head gasket runs drives great shifts great I don’t know what happen I later found somthing tho so I removed the case on top with the Toyota symbol the case that’s on top of the valve cover gasket and underneath the white sponge type fabric is black and had oil soaked inside of it fresh oil but I don’t see anything leaking from the valve cover but then again I probably wouldn’t if it’s soaking into the top is this even logical? I’m not mechanic but should I be worried ? Am I looking to rebuild this engine I don’t have this kind of money and I was really hoping this isn’t nothing serous let me know guys please thank you.
The 2AZ-FE engine is notorious for burning oil. You mentioned that you've driven 1k on it before noticing the oil disappearing. That's enough usage to make oil "disappear". I'm afraid the lady who sold you this didn't disclose the whole truth about this engine.

Keep an eye on the oil level and you should be fine. These cars/engines are solid otherwise.

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
Which engine? Since you used 5W20 I assume it is the 2.4l four cylinder. That engine is a known oil guzzler and was replaced in 2009 by the 2.5l engine which solved the oil usage problem. 2006~2008 2.4l engines were made with faulty internal parts.
There's a reason she used 5W40.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The 2AZ-FE engine is notorious for burning oil. You mentioned that you've driven 1k on it before noticing the oil disappearing. That's enough usage to make oil "disappear". I'm afraid the lady who sold you this didn't disclose the whole truth about this engine.

Keep an eye on the oil level and you should be fine. These cars/engines are solid otherwise.
Certainly need to keep a close eye on the oil level with that generation but I don't agree that the car is otherwise solid. We have a '06 Rav4 in the family and it suffers from every known issue with that generation. Heavy oil consumption, shuddering torque converter, clunking intermediate steering shaft...etc. Now that it is older it has significant rust-thru issues on the rockers and underbody plus rear differential leaks. All at only 170,000kms.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I stopped reading the first post because of lack of any punctuation. You guys are heroes for going through that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Check for leaks underneath your vehicle also.
Top up the oil level and check every day to try and figure out where it's going.
If you're burning oil badly, then remove a couple of your spark plugs and see what they look like. If they look bad, then the previous owner lied to you about her heavy oil burning issues. If she ran 5W40, then I guarantee you that engine burns oil badly.
This is a common issue with these engines. I had my dealership rebuild my engine during the extended warranty period and now it works like new. Cost to have it done there a few years ago would have been about $5000 if I had to pay.
Good luck.....

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I possibly did it’s just I don’t see any leak down there it seems dry and yeah she said she had 5w 40 in it I didn’t notice any change but the car was little more hot then it is now once I changed it to the recommended oil the engine is way cooler. Thanks for the reply

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s a 2.4 yea
Which engine? Since you used 5W20 I assume it is the 2.4l four cylinder. That engine is a known oil guzzler and was replaced in 2009 by the 2.5l engine which solved the oil usage problem. 2006~2008 2.4l engines were made with faulty internal parts.
There's a reason she used 5W40.

yes it’s a 2.4

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
Dman412,

I can read your foul mouthed post that was deleted. Just one more outburst like that and you will be gone from this forum forever. Keep it civil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sold my 2007 Toyota RAV4 last year because it was burning through all the oil in about 2500 miles. I just had to keep oil with me and checking it all the time. Prior to the previous year, I was doing the every 5K oil change, but after I hit about 150,000 miles, it started burning much faster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You did not indicate how many miles the car had when you bought it.

I have a 2008 with the 2.4 L engine and it has 75,000 km on the clock.
It don't burn any oil but I use a 5W30 synthetic oil.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You did not indicate how many miles the car had when you bought it.

I have a 2008 with the 2.4 L engine and it has 75,000 km on the clock.
It don't burn any oil but I use a 5W30 synthetic oil.
Has 140k

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sold my 2007 Toyota RAV4 last year because it was burning through all the oil in about 2500 miles. I just had to keep oil with me and checking it all the time. Prior to the previous year, I was doing the every 5K oil change, but after I hit about 150,000 miles, it started burning much faster.
Yeah I’m at 140k miles

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dman412,

I can read your foul mouthed post that was deleted. Just one more outburst like that and you will be gone from this forum forever. Keep it civil.
Oh. It’s ok to have people be mean to people ? Ok buddy are you the internet police officer? Lol ok

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

hey guys I found out what it was she had a factory PCV valve in it and it was bad machanic said it was horrible changed it out and haven’t burned oil Since ! 💪🏽 And runs way better

1 - 17 of 17 Posts