Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2002 RAV4 L for three weeks now. The first non-freezing day I crawled over and under it for a close inspection and found a LOT of oil on the leading edge of the tranny. My first thought was the main seal was bad, and I took it right back to the dealer to have it checked out. They looked, cleaned off the oil, and declared that it was coming from the seal around the oil pan, which was leaking. The service manager said it was not a big problem, but I should check my oil level regularly and if it failed completely they would discount the four hours of labor it would take to do the repairs.

I pointed to their poster on the wall that said Heritage Toyota checks all used vehicles for -- among other things -- leaks before they are sold and asked why I had to pay anything at all. He said it wasn't a big deal, that most cars had small leaks like that.

Is he blowing smoke? Am I expecting too much?

Pete

·
Registered
779 Posts
It depends what you mean by a lot. If you are always having to top up the oil all the time then that will be a problem. If it's just the occassional drip and you do not need to add anything between oil changes then that is not so bad. I have had several cars with the odd drip coming from the drain plug and I lived with it (made a mess of the drive though), no problems. But a seal sounds a bit more serious.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Boondox, that's what every SOB says "that's normal" or "it's nothing" when they screw up or sell something and are in the wrong.
You should ask to park it in his home driveway and let it leak all over it.

A

·
0 Posts
Oil Pan Leak

Take your RAV 4 back to the dealer and have them replace the oil pan. The reason it is leaking oil is your oil pan gasket is defective which is causing the leak. It is not normal and job of this nature actually costs in the $300.00 range.

Make them change the pan!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Japanese engine have a reputation for being tight and clean. Detroit engines on the other hand are notorious for leaks. My big block Chevy engines would actually surprise me if they didn't leak (sweat oil, or mark their territory). Even after fresh rebuilds, there is that annoying spot on the pavement. Even newer GM SBC engines leak.

Anyway minor spotting is not a mechanical problem per se and probably will not be honored under any warranty.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If the car is covered by warranty, I would expect an oil leak (however small) would be covered.

I had a very minir leak on my 97, and the dealer replaced the gasket (not really a gasket, but some pink sealer stuff) with no probs

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it took intervention by the VT atty general, but the dealer fixed the leak under warranty. It helped that I enclosed a photo of the dealer's huge poster promising, among other things, that all their used cars were certified leak-free!

Score one for the little guy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts