Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 4cyl Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have oil leaking at a sensor as shown in the photo. I am unsure of what sensor this is and if it is easily replaceable by my hands. The oil leak is not at the engine connection, but in the body of the sensor at the location shown by the arrows in the close-up photo. What sensor or valve is this? Thanks for any info or advice for removal/replacement. Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Did you clean the oil from where you suggest that it is leaking? Could not see any oil apart from what appears to be an accumulation of what might be years of slight seepage of oil and dust. If there is fresh oil, is it certain that it is actually coming from the sensor itself?

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 4cyl Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you clean the oil from where you suggest that it is leaking? Could not see any oil apart from what appears to be an accumulation of what might be years of slight seepage of oil and dust. If there is fresh oil, is it certain that it is actually coming from the sensor itself?
While the engine is running, the oil drips from the arrow location, at the bottom of the black ring that is part of the body of the sensor. It is a constant at almost 1 drip per second.

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 4cyl Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it off and this is what it looks like up close. Anyone know what sensor this might be based upon the location and appearance? Oil was leaking b/w the grey composite and the steel, so I guess replacing whatever this is will be the answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That is an oil pressure switch. When it leaks then time to change for a new one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was told today at my vehicle inspection for my Corolla that my oil pressure switch was also leaking. He said that when they start to leak, they get worse quickly. Best to change it asap .

·
Registered
2010 RAV4 4cyl Base
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. Bought the oil pressure switch for $27 🇨🇦and changed it out. Not sure what this cost would have been going to a mechanic, but likely saved a bundle. My Haynes manual didn't even tell me what this part was, let alone changing it; and finding a good engine diagram for this car was an unfulfilled search.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts