Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I have had a small leak at the rear of the engine, which today turned into a BIG leak.
The oil is dripping of the left rear corner of the sump.
Just idling the car created a puddle the size of a pancake in less than a minute.
I tried to tighten the sump bolts but no change.

What is there on the rear face of the block that can cause a leak when the car is running?

This Rav has 305000klms (190,000miles). So I know its done a lot, but I don't really want to throw it away just for an oil leak.

Cheers
David

·
Registered
432 Posts
My guess is the valve cover gasket is leaking and the oil is running down the back of the engine, it's a common failure, look at that before you check if its coming from the head gasket.
The oil pump is set lower on that side, any oil leaking from either the pump cover gasket or the pump rotor oil seal will be leaking from inside the timing belt cover, I would expect to see the oil pressure light at idle if you are loosing that much though.
Fingers crossed its just the valve cover gasket!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken,

Thanks for your reply.
Last night in the dark i grabbed a torch and looked from under the car whist it was idling.
The oil was very clearly running from the oil pump casing area.
That is a real pain, as last week we replaced the head gasket which meant we have to pull all the timing gear off. If only we did the gasket for the oil pump at the same time.
Now i have to pull it all off again to fix the leak.

I know how it all goes together now so should be much easier than last time.

Cheers

·
Registered
432 Posts
Glad you found the source, sorry it was the pump, I made one mistake doing mine, I bought the strange shape gasket and the oil seal for the rotor from Rockauto, I dont blame them, only their suppliers, the gasket was useless and couldn't be used and to oil seal too tight. Take a tip, you already know what's involved and you won't want to go back there again so go to Toyota and get the parts, I did my water pump at the same time and substituted the supplied seals with genuine Toyota ones, all up for oil and water the cost was approx $30
Good luck, I don't envy you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fixed. Yes the oil leak was from the gasket behind the oil pump cover.
If you have taken your timing belt of a number of times you should have no problems.
I took the right front wheel of to access the oil pump from there. Easy.
The only point i want to make is make sure you have some gasket silicon or similar to "glue" the little gasket to the recess in the pump body.

Thanks Ken.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David242gt: How long did it take you to replace the oil pump gasket?
To replace the gasket probably was 1.5 - 2 hours light work.
You need to remove the front right wheel to get good access, remove the timing belt cover, remove the timing belt, remove the oil pump pulley, remove 5+ little bolts holding the pump cover on.
I used some silicon or grease to hold the gasket in place when installing.
Then reverse the procedure above.
If you feel you need to replace the timing belt at the same time i would as you have to partially remove it to do this job.

Its a fiddly job but rewarding, as i have not lost a drop of oil since doing this job, plus it use to drip onto the exhaust so it would gently smoke at traffic lights. But no more.

Cheers.
David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts