Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I looked under my hood today to keep things clean. I noticed on the engine block near the alternator, some brown gunk. after wiping some of it off, it appears to be oil. I checked my oil level and its between full and ¾ full. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid or what. My RAV4 has 7k on it and hasn't even had it's first oil change. It's only had its first maintenance done (tire rotation). Anyone else notice that on their BRAND NEW RAV4?:crying

·
Super Moderator
11,736 Posts
You are likely being paranoid. Settle down. A new engine breaking in will use a bit of oil. That is normal. Have a quart of the correct oil to top off if required. Wipe off what you see and watch for it to reappear, if it does at all. Don't go bonkers over nothing.

I take it this is your first new car?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will top it off. I wiped off oil near the block, I'll see if it reappears. This is my 3rd new car. I've had a 2012 Scion xB and a 2014 Toyota Corolla, neither of those have done this before.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
17,344 Posts
Was the oil near the filler cap? If so, some ham fisted tech probably spilled some during an oil change.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hello,
I looked under my hood today to keep things clean. I noticed on the engine block near the alternator, some brown gunk. after wiping some of it off, it appears to be oil. I checked my oil level and its between full and ¾ full. Not sure if I'm just being paranoid or what. My RAV4 has 7k on it and hasn't even had it's first oil change. It's only had its first maintenance done (tire rotation). Anyone else notice that on their BRAND NEW RAV4?:crying
i noticed the same case with my rav too. first noticed this almost a year ago before i took my rav for its first 5k service. i told my service advisor from where i bought it and i was told that probably its leftover / oil sweat from heating up a new engine. i clean the said spot over and over and still get the same oil seepage. the last time i cleaned that spot was few weeks ago after my 15k mile service. i cleaned it with engine degreaser. I'll post a picture of that spot later when i get home and if we are experiencing this in the same spot, then probably there is a possible gasket failure or something else is not right with our ravs. i was planning to raise this issue with my SA if i see that it accumulates dirt again due to light oil seepage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i noticed the same case with my rav too. first noticed this almost a year ago before i took my rav for its first 5k service. i told my service advisor from where i bought it and i was told that probably its leftover / oil sweat from heating up a new engine. i clean the said spot over and over and still get the same oil seepage. the last time i cleaned that spot was few weeks ago after my 15k mile service. i cleaned it with engine degreaser. I'll post a picture of that spot later when i get home and if we are experiencing this in the same spot, then probably there is a possible gasket failure or something else is not right with our ravs. i was planning to raise this issue with my SA if i see that it accumulates dirt again due to light oil seepage.
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see what you say. I'll bring it up with my SA when I go in for my 10k service (thats in about 3 months).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thank you! I'll be waiting to see what you say. I'll bring it up with my SA when I go in for my 10k service (thats in about 3 months).
finally. here are the photos i took from my engine. the spots where the grime accumulates are encircled in red. i've manage to clean most of them but in one of the photo you can see some leftovers or should i say not as clean as those that did not experience this.

I am saying that my rav might have prob on this because i have seen another rav, about the same age as mine and a 2013 camry that has 22k miles on it, and this side of their engine are white clean (you can spot the difference between oil soaked dirt compared to regular dirt accumulation).

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is EXACTLY where mine was at at how it looks now after I cleaned it. Have you brought it up yet to Toyota? Obviously this is an issue... I love my car so much, I hate to see it have problems.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is EXACTLY where mine was at at how it looks now after I cleaned it. Have you brought it up yet to Toyota? Obviously this is an issue... I love my car so much, I hate to see it have problems.
i thought so. i had a few b-new cars in the fast and never experienced this except with my 4.4. i haven't brought mine to the dealership yet coz i just finished my 15k service before i cleaned. will definitely bring this up once i'm due with my 20k. or if you get to your next service first probably you can mention this and will support you with your claim.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same thing here, brand new only at 4.5k miles and it's leaking.:mad: will have a word with them when i go in for first service.

seems the grey thing sandwiched in-between engine and oil pan (suppose I can call it gasket) is the issue, so I tighten the screws close by which hold the oil pan, will see in a few days if it solves the problem.

·
Registered
126 Posts
same thing here, brand new only at 4.5k miles and it's leaking.:mad: will have a word with them when i go in for first service.

seems the grey thing sandwiched in-between engine and oil pan (suppose I can call it gasket) is the issue, so I tighten the screws close by which hold the oil pan, will see in a few days if it solves the problem.
the grey rubbery thing is a silicone gasket. it seals the gap better than just having the rubber gasket in between. am not really sure how i can bring this up with my SA when i go back for a scheduled service. i'd be able to tell him/them that there's already three 4.4 (2013 and 2015) models that experienced this light oil seepage. but if asked for a proof, what do you think i can give them? suggestions???

·
Registered
7 Posts
the grey rubbery thing is a silicone gasket. it seals the gap better than just having the rubber gasket in between. am not really sure how i can bring this up with my SA when i go back for a scheduled service. i'd be able to tell him/them that there's already three 4.4 (2013 and 2015) models that experienced this light oil seepage. but if asked for a proof, what do you think i can give them? suggestions???
I took a photo before wiping it clean so feel free to show them my photo.

I think there should be more than just us three out there. How many do we need for them to issue a recall?

At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total. :mad:

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Tell the SA that your RAV is leaking oil, then show him/her. Period. Amen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I took a photo before wiping it clean so feel free to show them my photo.

I think there should be more than just us three out there. How many do we need for them to issue a recall?

At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total. :mad:

hmm.. your case seem far worst than me. what is on top of this cv boot area (left or right side?)

since your oil trace is near the cv boot, i assume your problem is the engine side facing the firewall. and with how it looks like i guess your need to inform your SA with this ASAP.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Tell the SA that your RAV is leaking oil, then show him/her. Period. Amen.
i did brought this up during my 5k service. the SA dodge the issue as "possible" left over "oil sweating" case from a brand new car/engine. since then i've been observing my case if it'll worsen or not. as of now my grime accumulation stays the same (builts up about 3 weeks) and i would clean it then. but like i said, since i know now that there are other members here experiencing the same problem, i'd bring this up again on my 20k service.

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
At least they should pay for the cleaning fee for my garage floor. It's already soaked into the concrete now, five spots total.
Pour some plain kitty litter on the spots, grind it into the cement with your shoe until it's almost power. The oil will disappear in a day or two.

·
Registered
7 Posts
problem fixed

Took the car in for first time service, they acknowledged the leak was caused by a manufacture defect in gasket and replaced it for free.

Pour some plain kitty litter on the spots, grind it into the cement with your shoe until it's almost power. The oil will disappear in a day or two.
Great, now I have to find a cat. :nerd

Overall I'm happy with the service, although I wish it had never happened in the first place. Also I'm believe the cast aluminum oil pan with molded rubber gasket combination from the old days will last way longer than the silicon stuff, guess they don't make cars the way they used to...

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Took the car in for first time service, they acknowledged the leak was caused by a manufacture defect in gasket and replaced it for free.

Great, now I have to find a cat. :nerd

Overall I'm happy with the service, although I wish it had never happened in the first place. Also I'm believe the cast aluminum oil pan with molded rubber gasket combination from the old days will last way longer than the silicon stuff, guess they don't make cars the way they used to...

Thanks guys!!!
the picture you posted earlier (oil leak) did it came from on the side of the valve cover? were you able to pin point the origin of the leakage?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.