Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2012 4cyl with 54,000 km just started to leak a lot of oil from a sensor in the cylinder head above the alternator (front left side facing the engine). The vehicle is still under warranty, I was just wondering what this sensor is? I added a picture, you can see that there is oil on the alternator, exhaust manifold and running down the block. Regular drip with the engine running. Reminds me of a failed oil pressure switch from an old GM 305!
Thanks

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
My 2012 4cyl with 54,000 km just started to leak a lot of oil from a sensor in the cylinder head above the alternator (front left side facing the engine). The vehicle is still under warranty, I was just wondering what this sensor is? I added a picture, you can see that there is oil on the alternator, exhaust manifold and running down the block. Regular drip with the engine running. Reminds me of a failed oil pressure switch from an old GM 305!
Thanks
It may be the oil pressure sending unit. To confirm, unplug the thing and start the engine. If you get an oil light, bingo.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of thought along those lines; but if its not the oil sending unit, I could generate a check engine light that I can't reset (don't have the tool) before I bring it to the dealer. If it wasn't under warranty, I would certainly take your advice and probably have it fixed by now. I have an appointment for tomorrow, I'll update the post with the results.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,718 Posts
Well by all means, if it's under warranty take it back to the dealer and let them sort it out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, it is the oil pressure switch, not under warranty as it is not considered part of the block and I had passed the bumper to bumper mileage/time part of the warranty. About $100. They also found that the engine side cover was sweating, so they changed that gasket under warranty, that doesn't look like a pleasant job. Thanks for your input JuneBug, love that Baton Rouge crest/flag, looks like a combo of the Quebec and Ontario flags with a castle added in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts