Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all - hello to everyone! I am currently looking for RAV4 mk2 for some weekend travels. Seems that it is not easy task to find something in good shape.

Today I found one which was pretty ok inside and for drive - until I watched engine. Can you give me some idea what can be reason behind the oil leak? I attached an image (yeah, engine is dirty :) ).

Attachments

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
By the looks of the leak the valve cover is leaking which means you need a new valve cover. Also your power steering fluid is black which should be reddish pink and that needs to be changed. The power steering is a biggy since that can cause very expensive parts in the steering system to wear such as p/s pump, rack and pinion steering, etc.

As the car ages the rubber valve cover wears due to heat and shrinks which allows oil to seep down the engine. The part alone is not that expensive and there are youtube on how to diy if you don't want to pay for labour.

By the way your flag of Poland does not match your location of Australia?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, thanks a lot for the answer. I wonder if to waste time for this car (not mine) - or just look for another one.

Regarding flag - is it more often to have flag of nationality or location on this board? :smile

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Hm, thanks a lot for the answer. I wonder if to waste time for this car (not mine) - or just look for another one.

Regarding flag - is it more often to have flag of nationality or location on this board? :smile
Just looking under the hood does not give a good impression but if you don't know how to check it is best to let a mechanic do an inspection. You don't want a vehicle with a long list of expensive repairs.

If you are located in Australia then use that country flag so this way we know you have a vehicle that is from that country. The Rav4 is different for each country if you didn't know already.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts