Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just had my Toyota dealer do the 10,000 mile oil change, on our Rav4 Hybrid. Finally had a moment to check it myself, and oil level, engine cold is about 1/4 inch above the upper mark.
When engine is is warm, level is almost 1/2 inch above upper mark on dipstick.

Should I worry about this? Or should I return to dealer to get him to lower the oil level below upper mark on dipstick? This dealer is a 1.5 hour drive from our home.

· Registered
897 Posts
You should be very worried.
Go back to Toyota and let them check it out and drain oil.
Look at the dipstick with them so they can show you that it is 'not' above the full mark.

If you have a dealership closer, have them check it and perhaps drain.

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oil is very clean looking, no foaming.
A closer Toyota dealer says they will drain it to proper level; tomorrow at 8:00 am.
They seem a lot more worried about it than the dealership, that sold us the car (and overfilled it).

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

motor cold, high oil level on dipstick

· Registered
NC '19 Rav4 Hybrid Limited, Entune 3.0, Adaptive Headlights, Advanced Technology Package
2,386 Posts
A closer Toyota dealer says they will drain it to proper level; tomorrow at 8:00 am.
They seem a lot more worried about it than the dealership, that sold us the car (and overfilled it).

View attachment 189312
I always thought the oil level was supposed to be measured after the oil was distributed throughout the engine. Like after going to a gas station.

It isn't uncommon to have the low wage "mechanics" who change the oil overfill. They use cans of 0w16 and are too lazy to measure several times so just pump full quarts into the sump.

· Registered
9,872 Posts
Topic has been discussed previously. People who have Toyota service their vehicles report that oil level on their dipsticks after an oil change generally are around 1/4 inch above the full mark. Years on this forum with different engines and no one that I can recall has reported having any problem resulting from that overfill situation.
Best time to measure oil level is in the morning before starting the engine. All that one has to do is to pull out the dipstick without even needing to wipe it.

Reactions: charlesj

· Registered
897 Posts

View attachment 189312
Excellent.

I would suggest you call the dealership back once you have the oil level updated and inform them that the local dealership was able to adjust to oil to the proper oil level.

This is a great example of "customer loyalty" means nothing.
The person changing the oil may not have worked there a year ago, he isn't your friend. The person who checked you in see's you as a car there for an oil change.
People always prefer to go to where they bought a vehicle expecting special treatment. In this case, special treatment would be actually doing the job correctly. ha

I'm glad you can have it addressed locally, I would hate to have you driving 3 hours on an overfilled crankcase.

· Registered
43 Posts
From the 2022 Rav4 Hybrid manual.....

Checking the engine oil
1 Park the vehicle on level
ground. After warming up the
engine and turning off the
hybrid system, wait more
than 5 minutes for the oil to
drain back into the bottom of
the engine.

Could be that the tech is not allowing this 5 minute drain down time. I run into this with my Chrysler Pacifica. Same instructions to allow the oil to drain down before checking the level. I supply my own oil to my dealer for the oil change and almost always get a call that they need another litre of oil. I point out the 5 minute wait and they back down.

· Registered
415 Posts
As usual, it all comes down to who is working on your car that day. Not a good idea to make generalizations about dealerships, lots of turnover. I plan on doing this stuff for as long as I can. I've passed on the free oil changes for all of our RAVs. What I do is check the oil level as per the instructions in the manual, get the level correct by adding and then I'll check it cold just to see where it is on the dipstick to become familiar.
Good news is if I drain the oil correctly, and use 5qt. jugs of Mobil1, the most I can overfill by is .5 qt. (Car Care nut says 4.5) or .2 qt (manual says 4.8). After doing a couple of oil changes now I think 4.8 is overfilling.

· Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
225 Posts
Good news is if I drain the oil correctly, and use 5qt. jugs of Mobil1, the most I can overfill by is .5 qt. (Car Care nut says 4.5) or .2 qt (manual says 4.8). After doing a couple of oil changes now I think 4.8 is overfilling.
Indeed, something is wrong with the manual. I have had the same experience with my carefully measured oil change. My theory is that someone confused quarts with liters, given that the manual here says 4.5 liters but the correct amount is reported to be about 4.5 quarts.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Prime SE in Midnight Black Metallic
210 Posts
As usual, it all comes down to who is working on your car that day. Not a good idea to make generalizations about dealerships, lots of turnover.

I've passed on the free oil changes

(Car Care nut says 4.5) or .2 qt (manual says 4.8). After doing a couple of oil changes now I think 4.8 is overfilling.
I just had my oil/filter changed by TCCN Automotive (Ahmed - "The Car Care Nut") a few weeks ago and he said 4.5 quarts indeed. The 4.8 quarts stated in the Owners Manual is probably overfilling (that statement makes things confusing). He used quart bottles of Toyota 0W16 oil (not oil from a bulk container). I never knew what a problem you can have if the engine is overfilled until I went on this forum. I had never checked the oil level on the dipstick after an oil change was done but I do it now (always assumed that it was done correctly - not).

I've passed on the free oil changes from the dealership that sold me the car too (I don't know them except for buying the car so I'm not sure of the quality of their work; they're not my local Toyota dealer whom I have dealt with on my three previous Toyotas).

· Registered
408 Posts
Manual says 4.8 quarts and store poured the whole 5 quart jug in the engine. Oil level was 1/4” higher than max fill level. that 1/4” makes you think there is 1 quart too much oil and I freaked out.
didn’t make damage but I insisted to pour 4.8q since then.
now I will insist to pour 4.5 quarts

· Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE
594 Posts
I always thought the oil level was supposed to be measured after the oil was distributed throughout the engine. Like after going to a gas station.

It isn't uncommon to have the low wage "mechanics" who change the oil overfill. They use cans of 0w16 and are too lazy to measure several times so just pump full quarts into the sump.
From most dealers I’ve experienced and worked with, it’s via a filling machine with bulk oil. Some using 0w-16, but many dealers still throwing in bulk 0w-20 as of last year. Only “cans” I’ve ever seen hand poured are actually bottles for the Toyota oil specced in the new GR Supras.

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I had the oil level reduced this morning in my RAV 4 Hybrid, at a Toyota dealership. Not the dealership that did the original oil change, and overfilled it.
Mechanic said it was overfilled by 1/2 a quart, probably no damage. I will insist on only 4.5 quarts for each oil change now. It was actually one of the TCCN videos that made me aware of problems, if you overfill Hybrid Dynamic Force motor with oil.

Speaking of RAV 4 Primes...
Leaving this dealership, I noticed a used 2021 Rav 4 Prime for sale. 18,000 miles. Asked about the price. Original MSRP for this SE was $41,628 with sunroof package, delivery.
They are asking $52000 !! That is almost $11,000 above the original MSRP for the new car.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Our 2011 4 cylinder calls for 4.7 qts after oil and filter change. I always buy the 5qt containers and dump it all in. That results in 0.3 qt over fill and about 1/4” above the full line. 125,000 miles of doing this has not been a problem. No leaks, burning or anything else.
I think you’d need to overfill by several quarts, to the point where the crankshaft starts splashing in the oil, before there’d be a problem. Engines I’ve had apart have the oil level set well, several inches, below the lowest throw of the crank. The level will drop lower when the engine is running as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2021 XSE Hybrid, Blizzard Pearl
79 Posts
From the 2022 Rav4 Hybrid manual.....

Checking the engine oil
1 Park the vehicle on level
ground. After warming up the
engine and turning off the
hybrid system, wait more
than 5 minutes for the oil to
drain back into the bottom of
the engine.

Could be that the tech is not allowing this 5 minute drain down time. I run into this with my Chrysler Pacifica. Same instructions to allow the oil to drain down before checking the level. I supply my own oil to my dealer for the oil change and almost always get a call that they need another litre of oil. I point out the 5 minute wait and they back down.
there is alot of things they aint suppose to do like tighten enlinks and swaybars on a lift you need to tighten cretin suspension part under load. they don't care they will just say oh it came loose just bring it back and we will fix it for free.

· Registered
897 Posts
Our 2011 4 cylinder calls for 4.7 qts after oil and filter change. I always buy the 5qt containers and dump it all in. That results in 0.3 qt over fill and about 1/4 above the full line. 125,000 miles of doing this has not been a problem. No leaks, burning or anything else.
I think you’d need to overfill by several quarts, to the point where the crankshaft starts splashing in the oil, before there’d be a problem. Engines I’ve had apart have the oil level set well, several inches, below the lowest throw of the crank. The level will drop lower when the engine is running as well.

Interesting, I didn't know oil level was set below the crank throws. 2011 isn't exactly recent, but is that something of a newer revelation or has oil level always been below the crank?
I've never really looked into it, just know (heard) that DIY race car drivers tend to run oil a bit low to reduce the effect of the crank splashing in the oil.

This thread is about Hybrid vehicles anyway. I don't know how much of a band-wagon fan I want to be of all the rumors, but it's been mentioned that oil level and foaming in a hybrid is worth concern, not to be considered the same as a gas model.

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Interesting, I didn't know oil level was set below the crank throws. 2011 isn't exactly recent, but is that something of a newer revelation or has oil level always been below the crank?
I've never really looked into it, just know (heard) that DIY race car drivers tend to run oil a bit low to reduce the effect of the crank splashing in the oil.

This thread is about Hybrid vehicles anyway. I don't know how much of a band-wagon fan I want to be of all the rumors, but it's been mentioned that oil level and foaming in a hybrid is worth concern, not to be considered the same as a gas model.
This is nothing new. Engines have been designed for decades to keep the oil level below the crank throws. If they weren’t designed that way the oil would be whipped to a froth which cannot be effectively pumped. Oil pressure would be very poor and main bearings would not be adequately suspended due to the lack of a continuous oil film.

A hybrid still has a conventional ICE, so with respect to oil levels, the requirements are the same.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts