Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

oil level above upper mark on dipstick

1808 33
I just had my Toyota dealer do the 10,000 mile oil change, on our Rav4 Hybrid. Finally had a moment to check it myself, and oil level, engine cold is about 1/4 inch above the upper mark.
When engine is is warm, level is almost 1/2 inch above upper mark on dipstick.

Should I worry about this? Or should I return to dealer to get him to lower the oil level below upper mark on dipstick? This dealer is a 1.5 hour drive from our home.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Just did an oil change myself on my 2020 XSE hybrid today. I put in the 4.8 quarts per manual and I'd say it's about 1/4" above the mark too. Not going to worry about it cause that's what the manual says.

My feeling is that the marks on the stick could be off... idk.. another Toyota fail whether it's the mark on the stick is wrong or the 4.8 qt in the manual is wrong

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took mine in for 15k and dealer only suppose to top off fluids but for some reason overfilled my engine oil by 1/2 inch. I took it to lube shop and they even confirmed it was overfilled. Got em drained out and pour new ones with filter. Then took my recipt which stated overfilled to dealer for reimbusement.

I advise always check levels even if right after changes. Overfill can cause complex internal damages to your engine in the long run.

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium J-VIN
245 Posts
Just did an oil change myself on my 2020 XSE hybrid today. I put in the 4.8 quarts per manual and I'd say it's about 1/4" above the mark too. Not going to worry about it cause that's what the manual says.

My feeling is that the marks on the stick could be off... idk.. another Toyota fail whether it's the mark on the stick is wrong or the 4.8 qt in the manual is wrong
The dipstick isn’t wrong and I don’t think the manual is wrong either, just misleading.

4.8 quarts is the total oil capacity when you fill an engine that’s brand new and has never had oil in it.

When you change the oil, there is still a small amount of oil trapped in nooks and crannies that won’t drain unless you tip the engine over.

Like I said above, my RAV4 was delivered brand new with the oil exactly on the full mark and if you use 4.5 quarts for an oil change, that’s where it will be.

So, if you’ve been putting 5 quarts in, try using 4.5 quarts instead. You’ll have the correct amount of oil and you’ll be saving oil and money. It’s a win-win!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
There may or may not be a safety margin built into the oil level.

Before I bought my RAV4, I changed the oil on my 1997 Tacoma for all the 25 years I owned it. So many times I can do it in the dark. Oil capacity for the 5VZ engine is 5.5 quarts with a filter change; I always changed the filter. If I only added five quarts, it for sure was well below the full mark on the dipstick. If I added six quarts, it was a very tiny bit above the full line on the dipstick. First time I did that I was a bit concerned, and I would keep checking the dipstick for any indication of foaming. I never saw any.

Severe Service change interval is 5,000 miles. Everyone probably falls into the Severe Service category in reality. I do for sure. I would be down just a little oil in those 5,000 miles but never down all the way to the Low mark on the dipstick.

The only exception for oil use was when I tow my raft at highway speeds. Tacoma likes to drink a little more oil pulling that very NOT aerodynamic load at high speeds. Otherwise the unopened bottle that lived in the back of the truck went in with the next oil change, and I'd rotate a new one in.

It's a little harder to crawl under the RAV4, so I might consider letting someone else (gasp) change my oil for me.

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium J-VIN
245 Posts
How can you save money by pouring in 4.5 quarts vs 5?
You mean save the 1/2 quart until the next change 6 months later?
Yeah, I use 5 qt jugs and just leave a half quart in and use it later. I make sure to shake the jug up before I add to make sure all the additives are all mixed in well.

The oil won’t go bad in 6 months as long as you keep it sealed.

Vehicles don’t always have oil capacities in whole quart increments. That doesn’t mean you should be lazy and overfill the oil or throw away/recycle remaining oil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
There may or may not be a safety margin built into the oil level.

Before I bought my RAV4, I changed the oil on my 1997 Tacoma for all the 25 years I owned it. So many times I can do it in the dark. Oil capacity for the 5VZ engine is 5.5 quarts with a filter change; I always changed the filter. If I only added five quarts, it for sure was well below the full mark on the dipstick. If I added six quarts, it was a very tiny bit above the full line on the dipstick. First time I did that I was a bit concerned, and I would keep checking the dipstick for any indication of foaming. I never saw any.

Severe Service change interval is 5,000 miles. Everyone probably falls into the Severe Service category in reality. I do for sure. I would be down just a little oil in those 5,000 miles but never down all the way to the Low mark on the dipstick.

The only exception for oil use was when I tow my raft at highway speeds. Tacoma likes to drink a little more oil pulling that very NOT aerodynamic load at high speeds. Otherwise the unopened bottle that lived in the back of the truck went in with the next oil change, and I'd rotate a new one in.

It's a little harder to crawl under the RAV4, so I might consider letting someone else (gasp) change my oil for me.
Super easy with a set of ramps.
I have the XSE and there wasn't an issue with clearance with all the front plastics.
The most sketchy part I had with ramps was hoping the gas motor didn't kick in and launch me.
I've used ramps for 30+ years, except probably less than 5 times in the last 10 years. I can't lean out the window of the RAV to look at the wheel but it is easy to feel it. I stopped once when I hit the bump stop approaching the saddle, got out to make sure it was that one, not the one preventing me from going over.

Many seem to be changing with the car on the ground though, I have no reason to try scooting around like that when I already own ramps.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
How can you save money by pouring in 4.5 quarts vs 5?
You mean save the 1/2 quart until the next change 6 months later?
If you collect a half a quart for two changes, you'll have a full quart for the third change. :cool:

·
Registered
2021 Hybrid LE
224 Posts
The dipstick isn’t wrong and I don’t think the manual is wrong either, just misleading.

4.8 quarts is the total oil capacity when you fill an engine that’s brand new and has never had oil in it.

When you change the oil, there is still a small amount of oil trapped in nooks and crannies that won’t drain unless you tip the engine over.
Maybe it is the value for a perfectly dry engine. But that doesn't make the manual any less wrong.

The manual specifically says "Drain and refill". And "reference quantity to be used when changing the engine oil". There are not 50 ways to interpret that. It's wrong.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Maybe it is the value for a perfectly dry engine. But that doesn't make the manual any less wrong.

The manual specifically says "Drain and refill". And "reference quantity to be used when changing the engine oil". There are not 50 ways to interpret that. It's wrong.
I completely agree with you. No OEM publishes fill the completely dry new engine with X quarts of oil.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts