Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the timing belt, oil pump gasket/seal, camshaft seal, crankshaft seal, and valve cover gasket. I saw some oil on the intake manifold between cylinders one and two. I cleaned it up and it looks like is pooling there again. At first, I wondered if I caused it being messy filling the oil because that is near below the filler. I also see oil on the hose (17341-74710) that goes to the IAC.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Would there be oil in this hose? It is supposed to be an air hose. It is running great. One idea I considered was maybe something went wrong with the new valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Gasket on the oil fill cap in good shape, and seems to seat well? I'd look for a bad hose too.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The hose that connects to the bottom of the IAC at one end connects at the other end to an air control valve mounted at the bottom of the power steering pump. Another hose from the air control valve then connects to the intake plenum. More at https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/689-rav4-1st-generation-1994-2000/1654492-iac-hookup.html . It should not be oily.

Can you check the PCV hose and PCV valve, just to eliminate them as the possible sources of oil? Else like LugNut, I am aware that oil fill cap gaskets can harden and not seal. I remember replacing one on my old Honda Civic. It surprised me that this was the source of an oil leak. It's not obvious except maybe to the experienced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hose that connects to the bottom of the IAC at one end connects at the other end to an air control valve mounted at the bottom of the power steering pump. Another hose from the air control valve then connects to the intake plenum. More at https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/689-rav4-1st-generation-1994-2000/1654492-iac-hookup.html . It should not be oily.

Can you check the PCV hose and PCV valve, just to eliminate them as the possible sources of oil? Else like LugNut, I am aware that oil fill cap gaskets can harden and not seal. I remember replacing one on my old Honda Civic. It surprised me that this was the source of an oil leak. It's not obvious except maybe to the experienced.
Hmmm. It looks like it goes from a barb between cylinders 2 and 3 to the IAC. I don't see where it goes to the power steering pump. https://www.rav4world.com/threads/throttle-body-vacuum-line-question.282121/

Another thought: what about the PCV valve grommet? The valve seems to work (at least it rattles when I shake it. The PCV is on the valve cover between cylinders 2 and 3. I ran a rag around the rear of the valve cover and did not see any oil so I am suspect the valve cover is okay. As for filler cap. It does not look like a Toyota factory filler cap so it may have been replaced at some point.

My plans are to get a Toyota filler cap, PCV valve, and PCV grommet and see if it helps. I may get a funnel that fits properly too so I don't spill when filling. If I still have a slow leak, it may be I didn't do the valve cover gasket right. I did not see the torque values and what is the correct value until well after I did it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PCV: while the valve seems to work properly, it moves freely in the grommet when it is fully inserted.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good catch on the PCV grommet. They can harden and fail to seal.

I checked the Rav4.1s in a salvage yard recently. They all had the same setup: Hose under IAC goes down, proceeds from the port side of the engine to the starboard side, connects to a metal tube which then connects to the "power steering air control valve" on the bottom aft side of the power steering pump. A second hose coming off the power steering air control valve connects to the air intake plenum, on the starboard side. https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/689-rav4-1st-generation-1994-2000/1654492-iac-hookup.html . I suppose this could vary within the first generation.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As for filler cap. It does not look like a Toyota factory filler cap
Definitely replace, and a (one of many) prime suspect. New, OEM recommended.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced all: filler cap, pcv, and pcv grommet. I have been using a threaded filler. I have not seen as much oil but I still have to add it occasionally. Frustrating as I can't find a leak per se. I also don't know how much it is leaking as I am not the primary driver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The oil on the intake manifold seems to be fixed along with major leak. When I changed oil, found the drain plug was looser than I wished. I used Toyota parts including Toyota drain plug gasket. The only oily area now appears to be near the driver's side near the coil. The area is often cited with discussions of the distributor leaks but mine has coils. The valve cover gasket is a possibility. I will be looking at this area further and cleaning it well to see if I can narrow it down.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To update, I was wrong, it is not fixed. I think I need to redo the valve cover gasket. I want to redo the permatex (with a new gasket). I may not have used it everywhere it was needed. I am also leaning towards a leak behind the ignition coils. I saw oil in that area and read about leaks from the distributor seal. I thought I was safe because I don't have a distributor. I have been losing oil so I searched forums and read that Toyota just put a plug in the head where the distributor used to go. A number of people state they have leaks around that plug as the engines get older. I was also wondering about the half- moons. Replacing them and redoing the permatex on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts