Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited AWD
848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Recently had my oil changed by a dealership and in checking their work found the level of oil on the dipstick is at/slightly above the "Excessive" mark as per p.575 of my owners manual. The engine is cold and has not been run in ~16 hours.

Is this level of oil damaging to the engine/seals? Should some be removed? Am I just being paranoid? I have about 15,000 miles on the ODO.

Thanks!

Line Rectangle Parallel Font Slope

Office supplies Writing implement Natural material Wood Twig

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,323 Posts
Hi all,

Recently had my oil changed by a dealership and in checking their work found the level of oil on the dipstick is at/slightly above the "Excessive" mark as per p.575 of my owners manual. The engine is cold and has not been run in ~16 hours.

Is this level of oil damaging to the engine/seals? Should some be removed? Am I just being paranoid? I have about 15,000 miles on the ODO.

Thanks!

View attachment 183785

View attachment 183786
A little bit above the top mark is OK. You are good to go.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Lots of threads and posts about that situation. For our RAV4 V6 dealer service oil change measures about 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the dipstick full mark, no problems resulting after 11 years. Other threads regarding other RAV4 generations also have discussed similar situations, most have reported no engine problems from that amount of fill level.

·
Registered
309 Posts
you are fine. your mechanic poured 5 quarts instead of 4.8 q.
the dipstick will conclude that's 1 q over so one time I was freaking out but its .2q over.
better to inform mechanic next time

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited - Blueprint
72 Posts
It takes 4.5 quarts, as mentioned by CCN. They probably put in the 4.8 quarts as per the manual, hence a bit over. Usually the difference between low and high marks is about 1 quart, so if it was way over the high mark then maybe that would be an issue.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks!
After 16 hours, additional oil will trickle down into the oil pan. On the same page as the dipstick Toyota clearly states the time frame to check the oil level. If you perform the check per the manual, the level will be fine. Make sure the first pull of the dipstick is cleaned, reinserted and then checked.
Product Rectangle Organism Font Art

·
Registered
45 Posts
actually you'll find that the oil level will be much higher when checking 5 minutes after running hot..and you'll find it will be overfilled by a fair bit.
when you let it see in the cold for 16 hours the oil level will "contract" so to speak.
also these engine might have a oil dilution problem, so after 5000km you dip stick will be much higher than the full mark.

·
Registered
2022 Rav4 Hybrid Limited
147 Posts
Putting in 4.8 quarts after an oil/filter change will result in the oil level showing ABOVE the full dot. Either Toyota needs to change the dipstick marks or the numbers listed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just brought my 2021 RAV4 to Bernardi Toyota in Framingham MA at 9K miles for my complementary check up. I am a bit of a nut and have changed the oil 3 times already. To remind myself on how much oil to add, I wrote 4.8 in silver pen on the beauty cover. Being a nut, I always check the level after someone changes my oil. When they did the oil change they added 5 quarts, even though the Toyota spec says 4.8, resulting in oil a little over like yours. I called them out on it and they just shrugged.

I drained a bit of oil out the next day to get it between the dots on the dipstick.

·
Registered
2022 Lunar Rock XLE Premium loaded
83 Posts
I just brought my 2021 RAV4 to Bernardi Toyota in Framingham MA at 9K miles for my complementary check up. I am a bit of a nut and have changed the oil 3 times already. To remind myself on how much oil to add, I wrote 4.8 in silver pen on the beauty cover. Being a nut, I always check the level after someone changes my oil. When they did the oil change they added 5 quarts, even though the Toyota spec says 4.8, resulting in oil a little over like yours. I called them out on it and they just shrugged.

I drained a bit of oil out the next day to get it between the dots on the dipstick.
Why did you take it to the dealer if you've already changed it three times? You do know that they probably didn't put in 0W-16 oil, they most likely used bulk oil and since you said you are a "nut" why would you trust your car to some low level grease monkey (that's who works in the oil change areas) who doesn't give a shit?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts