Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the car with a broken oil dipstick, the tip was laying somewhere in the oil pan,
and need to be dug out with probably another surprises.
so i begun dismentalling the oil pan, 18 bolts and nut out and one left out of reach,
the accesses with any kind of tool was impossible, so i drilled the beam that got in the way
and inserted a 1/4" long socket adapter with the socket.
oil pan out, finally i dug out that dipstick tip , but with it found something that looked like wire ring, a closer look revealed it's source as part of a helicoil used in the drain thread.
the helicoil almost gone and the drain plug was held only by a Teflon band used by plummer.

i tried using an insert but the walls of the hole were too thin,
new helicoil weren't an option since it's already been used.
so i needed different and much more robust solution.

a visit to a workshop i used to worked there, and the ex employer and a master on lathes
made for me this custom part :

next assignment was welding, although i am welder myself i don't have tig welder,
so the next station was at a friend workshop who is a master welder who got all the tools i ever wanted.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Ahhhhh! Did I burn my eyes looking at the welding pictures?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW another option if you haven't got TIG welder in reach is brazing that part to the pan with MAPP oxy torch, much cheaper to purchase but the part need to be milled in a different way
it should look like a hat or the drain bolt.

Assembling the oil pan was harder.
i prefer using non setting compund for gasket over the silicon one which got a time limited window unlike the almost unlimited time window in non setting componds.
but the mating surfaces should be more slick.
i used 500 800 and then 2000 sanding papers with water.
the compound i used for gasket is Marston-Domsel MD 4000.574 Surface Seal

other good option is Blue Hylomar

assembling the oil pan demand more space so i had to remove the down pipe and loosen the beam bolt & nuts and engine mount a little.

my choice for oil is to relay on Ferrari choice

1 - 6 of 6 Posts