Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on my new to me 2003 Rav4. The oil pan is leaking and rusted so I am going to replace it. Pretty inexpensive repair and looks to be pretty easy. I am purchasing the new parts, but am having a royal pain trying to find the actual size of the oil pan bolts and the 2 nuts!! Crazy I know. I have OEM part numbers, but I just want to run to the hardware store to pick up the stainless bolts and nuts. Does anyone know what size these are? Probably metric??
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Spoke to several dealers. Part number is 90080-11289. Not one would tell me the actual size
edit - I really don't want to just pull one of the nuts and one bolt off the pan and risk the leak getting worse until I actually have the pan, bolts and RV gasket goop in hand. I prefer to have it all new and ready to go.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What size heads? I'd guess a 10 mm head, which would be a 6 mm bolt. Length should be easy, too - probably 16 mm, the pan isn't very thick. I doubt they use fine threads, so 6x1.0x16.

Why stainless? They're going into aluminum alloy. Stainless/aluminum has more galvanic potential than cadmium plated steel/aluminum, so is more subject to corrosion (and you really don't want the block to be what corrodes, which is what will happen). See here.

Toyota tends to be very good at metallurgy - I've had exhaust nuts corroded so they're almost completely gone, but the corresponding studs are in almost perfect condition, making repairs easy.

I'd advise sticking to what they use, which is not stainless steel for oil pan bolts.

Edit: I'd just reuse the existing bolts unless they're in really bad shape.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts
Go to the hardware store. Get a small assortment of metric bolts, maybe 3 or 4. Go back home, remove one of your pan bolts, measure, compare, then put it right back. Then you will know the length and thread size.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size heads? I'd guess a 10 mm head, which would be a 6 mm bolt. Length should be easy, too - probably 16 mm, the pan isn't very thick. I doubt they use fine threads, so 6x1.0x16.

Why stainless? They're going into aluminum alloy. Stainless/aluminum has more galvanic potential than cadmium plated steel/aluminum, so is more subject to corrosion (and you really don't want the block to be what corrodes, which is what will happen).

Toyota tends to be very good at metallurgy - I've had exhaust nuts corroded so they're almost completely gone, but the corresponding studs are in almost perfect condition, making repairs easy.

I'd advise sticking to what they use, which is not stainless steel for oil pan bolts.

Edit: I'd just reuse the existing bolts unless they're in really bad shape.

I just thought they were supposed to be stainless. If they do not need to be, then cool. The heads of the bolts are 10mm. So I think the 6-1.0 x 16 will be the go to give them a shot.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Go to the hardware store. Get a small assortment of metric bolts, maybe 3 or 4. Go back home, remove one of your pan bolts, measure, compare, then put it right back. Then you will know the length and thread size.

Yep - in fact if you can leave the RAV at home and drive another vehicle to the hardware store, before going to the hardware store remove one of the pan bolts from the RAV and take it along for comparison. The pan won't leak at the gasket as long as the engine isn't running.

Reactions: iriegnome

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be a great trick to drive 2 cars at once!! No just kidding.. The shop I work on the car is about 9 miles from the only auto part store around. I try to keep that kind of running around to a minimum.. As well as currently the most direct route to the store is closed so there is a 4 mile detour on top of the 9 mile drive!!

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
I'd just reuse the existing bolts unless they're in really bad shape.
Agreed, it's not like they're torque specific and supposed to be replaced like head bolts. And I've never seen a damaged pan bolt. Lost maybe, but you don't see those. :lol: Save a trip.
I just want to run to the hardware store to pick up the stainless bolts and nuts.
There shouldn't be any nuts but if so reuse those too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From my initial inspection of the pan, I think that it had a leak previously. Some of the bolts are just fine, others are very questionable. Which leads me to believe that someone had tightened them previously, but slightly damaged the head of the bolt. Far easier just to spend the $8 at the store to pick up 12 new bolts. I am all about easier..

·
Registered
517 Posts
The bolts head are 10mm... I just changed my oil pan last week.

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
What usually gets damaged when pan bolts are over-tightened is the pan not the bolts. Also pan bolts normally have a "shoulder" on them like a washer is attached. Makes more even contact with the pan than a normal hex head bolt you'd find at a hardware store. You could put a washer under a "regular" bolt but then you invite the possibility of weeping down the threads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts