Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was running rotary engines on my RX3, I had a lot of small parts that made a huge diffrence. One of them was an oil pan scraper or baffle. The cost of the Oil Pan scraper is around $50.00. What are some of the benefits?

1. Less rotating mass for the engine to accelerate because of the removed oil

2. Less loss of power because of excessive drag caused by the windage cloud

3. Helps reduce engine damaging oil-foaming

4. Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and turning as well as during off-road driving

5. Helps to cool critical engine parts by quickly returning heated oil to the sump

6. Helps to prevent the cylinder walls from being overloaded with oil

7. Can help with fuel efficiency

Some of you guys might be a little skeptical regarding the use of this scraper. But man, I used it in a heavily modified RX3, 13B. It worked great. Keeping high oil pressure in fifth gear where it counts the most, after 6,000RPM

See picture here --->
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/new toyota 3s scraper.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Crank scrapers are always used in high performance small block Chevy's. I have one in my Vette. There can be no harmfull effects of using one. Is the one in your picture a custom piece or offered by some company? Is it easy to get the oil pan off our engines with the engine in place? If it's not too much trouble to remove the pan and bolt in a scraper I think it's a great idea. What about a larger oil pan too? The one on my Vette holds 9 quarts. It's of coarse an aftermarket item.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob86ZZ4, I also was a Chevy fan. I once had a 383 Nova. It was a weekend warrior. Until they took it for a joy ride and destroyed it. I guess a turbo 3SFE engine is knocking on the door of Hi-Performance these parts help. A larger Oil Pan, well, I also tried to find one. To no avail. I guess it has to be custom made. Moroso has some Toyota Oil Pan, but they don't fit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yep, I thought that might be the case. There is a company in Wisconsin called JR Manufacturing ( www.champpans.com ) and they build custom oil pans. They are very good. They made the pan for my Corvette. I don't know if there is any room around the current pan in the Rav to allow kickouts to be welded on. The other thing is with a large pan you need to have trap doors in it that allow the oil to flow to the pump pickup but not away from it. I guess you would need to determine how much need there is for such a pan. Do our engines in the Rav have a oiling defficiency now? I don't drive my Rav hard. If you ever starve the pump then there would be a need for more oil. If the oil runs too hot more oil would help that but a cooler would be easier to install and probably more effective. Does anybody run external oil coolers on the Rav's?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You ask if anyone runs oil coolers in thier RAV4? Yes, me, and Kidong [but I've haven't seen him around lately] and some other guys here. You'll get to know them as you post on this forum. They are a group of cool people. I also have a Hi-Performance Oil Pump waiting to be installed this summer.

Here you can see it in front of the radiator. It's also a Transaxle cooler. Which keeps the gear box and axle oil cool at all time. This keeps a lot of viscosity rich oil running in your engine at all times. I change the oil and 3,000K later, the oil looks fresh. Fuel economy goes up also. I use Castrol 10-30 or 10-40 depending on everyday temp. Besides, in Puerto Rico, right know. We have an 80 degree sun. This is like this all year round
. :)

Hi-Performance water pump helps also. Which is a weak spot in the RAV4 1997. I heard a lot of water pump failers. Like the Chevy water pumps. It just has larger pump fins and disc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in Minnesota. This morning it was pretty warm. 10 degrees below zero ambiant temp. With the wind it was 25 below wind chill rating. Yesterday morning when I got up the ambiant was -15. Oooops, these are all farenheit, I don't know celsius so good so can't do the conversion for you sorry. High temp today is predicted at zero farenheit. My wife just loves the heated seats I put in her Rav.

Your oil cooler, do you have a adapter mounted between the oil filter and the block to divert the oil to the cooler and back? That's how I did it on my Vette.

The trans cooler I'm guessing you take the line coming from the trans toward the radiator and divert that to the cooler and then run the fluid to the stock radiator fitting?

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yea, BTW. The OEM oil cooler has to go. This is the specific Derale Kit that I got. When removing the OEM oil cooler, install the Thermostatically Copntrolled Sandwich Adapter and use Loctite http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/index.cfm. Check for leaks!. You might have to use the larger Toyota Oil Filter. This would be the V6 Toyota Oil Filter. This is an advantage since you have to use 5 oil quarts. [This is where a larger oil pan would come in handy, BUT] anyway, the gear box lines are taken from the OEM lines, no brainer. Place the Derale radiator in FRONT of the OEM radiator, and you're all set.

http://www.derale.com/engineoilcoolers.shtml

BTW, good luck to the Vikings, they'll need it. Oh, Randy is cool, so is Minnesota. We had in our company [C-1-1] about ten guys from Minnesota when I was in the ARMY.

·
Registered
986 Posts
The oil scraper is a good idea, however what scares me a little is having a thing piece of metal located near rapidly moving parts, although it probably doesn't break that easily...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts