Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Rav4 lovers,

I plan to replace the oil sump seal of my 1997 Rav4 L V (3S-FE) by myself as the engine oil is dropping. Does anyone use to replace it before ? I want to know whether the sump needs a shaped rubber gasket or I can apply the 3-bond sealant, like Loctite, for the purpose.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
vv,
I'd be really suprised if you're leaking enough oil through the sump gasket to cause the level to drop noticibly. Every few oil changes I'll get under there and snug up the bolts as they will all weep after a good amount of time...
But, given the RAVs propensity to burn oil out the valve seals, I'd think this is where you should investigate. I've resigned myself to the fact that it's cheaper to keep a close eye on the oil level and refill when needed rather than tearing the head down...
How much oil are you losing here?
Bogatyr

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bogatyr,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Actually, I have tried tightening up the nuts around the sump and kept observing. The dripping, though reduced, hasn't completely gone.

I notice that the oil still drips from around the sump so I'm pretty sure the seal must have expired. The volume of oil does not drop drastically, it could actually last until the next oil change. However, it's just annoying to see oil drops on my garage floor every morning. My concern is whether the sump definitely needs a shaped (rubber/cork) gasket or any packing sealant will do. As I never change it before, I'm not sure whether there's such a Toyota gasket. My previous Mitsubishi Galant doesn't have an oil sump gasket but uses the 3-bond sealant.

Any advice ?

VV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts