Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
The oil pressure switch is just in front of the engine bay. You can see it right away after open the hood. It locates at top right corner of the cylinder header (front view) above exhaust manifold. Its wire is bundled with coolant temperature sensor wires together.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4VAR said:
The oil pressure switch is just in front of the engine bay. You can see it right away after open the hood. It locates at top right corner of the cylinder header (front view) above exhaust manifold. Its wire is bundled with coolant temperature sensor wires together.
the gauges is a oil temp gauge, not pressure.
please if you or someone can post a pic on where I conect the wire
I connect it in the sensor with one wire

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't think there is an oil temperature sensor in RAV4. I can't find any information about it in my 1997 factory manual. No any DTC refers to it.
Even if the sensor existed, you should not connect your gauge to it, because there is no engine oil temperature gauge in a dash board, the sensor must connect to ECM. To connect additional device to it would affect ECM to get correct reading.
I think you can buy an oil temperature sensor, get a 3-way adapter. Install the adapter to the location the oil pressure switch was at, and then install both oil pressure and oil temperature sensors on the adapter. The oil pressure switch is shown in the middle of your last photo, just sitting on the cylinder header horizontally beside the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is an A/T oil temperature switch used to trigger a warning light on the dashboard, not send analog signals. To use your gauge, you still need addtional sensor and adapter. Because your RAV4 is equipped with a manual transmission, it is not a place you are looking for.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4VAR said:
There is an A/T oild temperature switch used to trigger a warning light on the dashboard, not send analog signals. To use your gauge, you still need addtional sensor and adapter. Because your RAV4 is equipped with a manual transmission, it is not a place you are looking for.
thanks :wink: , anyway, I''m going to install a air/fuel gauge.

·
Registered
69 Posts
From your photos, I can see you have made your RAV4 so nice. I wonder whether engine and emission control systems of RAV4 sold in your country are the same as north America. If your RAV4 also uses OBDII, you may conside to install a handhold with scan tool kit on the top of the dash board. It will make your modification look more cutting edge.

I bought an Auterra scan & dyno kit for my laptop last month. It is quite good. Besides retrive and clear DTC, it monitors 12 generic live data at real time. You can get readings and graphs for 2 oxygen sensors, short/long term fuel trim, coolant and intake air temperature, rpm, speed, engine load, throttle position, intake manifold air pressure and ignition advance. You can record and replay all data streams for analysis.

This kit combines a dyno together. With it, you will get your RAV4's horsepower and torque curves, 0-60 mile time, 1/8 and 1/4 mile time and speed.

The kit costs about US$200, but the palm is not included. If order the kit from ebay, a brand new one costs around US$150. If you got a high end palm, you would be able to use it as personal organizer, automotive scanner & dynometer, GPS, probally even mobile phone and wireless internet browser.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4VAR said:
From your photos, I can see you have made your RAV4 so nice. I wonder whether engine and emission control systems of RAV4 sold in your country are the same as north America. If your RAV4 also uses OBDII, you may conside to install a handhold with scan tool kit on the top of the dash board. It will make your modification look more cutting edge.

I bought an Auterra scan & dyno kit for my laptop last month. It is quite good. Besides retrive and clear DTC, it monitors 12 generic live data at real time. You can get readings and graphs for 2 oxygen sensors, short/long term fuel trim, coolant and intake air temperature, rpm, speed, engine load, throttle position, intake manifold air pressure and ignition advance. You can record and replay all data streams for analysis.

This kit combines a dyno together. With it, you will get your RAV4's horsepower and torque curves, 0-60 mile time, 1/8 and 1/4 mile time and speed.

The kit costs about US$200, but the palm is not included. If order the kit from ebay, a brand new one costs around US$150. If you got a high end palm, you would be able to use it as personal organizer, automotive scanner & dynometer, GPS, probally even mobile phone and wireless internet browser.
thanks, all I have done it with much effort.
WOW! :? you can know all of this with it!? please, post pic of yours. or a link of the item. what is the name of this?
and 2 question: who intake look better? the CAI or the short ram. that thing, it's easy to install??

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually know little about modification of a car. I've never modified my cars. I try to understand mechanism, how to diagnose, fix problems and keep my car trouble free. There are plenty things I need to learn from all of you.

I have not measured horsepower yet. I plan to do that next month and will post result here to get advice.

To get details about Auterra, please access following websites:
http://www.auterraweb.com/
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/auterra/Auterra_Palm_Based_Scanner_Review.shtml

There are many scan tools on market. Most of those are either too expensive or have limited functionality. For Windows version software, I think Auterra has nice user interface and more functionalities.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: gauge pods

franco90 said:
where did you buy gauge pods also i have pics of oil pressure guage hook up if you still need them
Hi franco, it's being a long time
I bought the pod in a store called E.T. auto sound (here in the island) but you can buy a universal gauge pod from autometer in any car accesories shop. about the oil pressure gauge, yes I need to know where install it, but some ravers told me that the rav don't have any place to connect the gauge(it can be connected on the coolant water sensor, and I do that but it don't work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts