Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I register the 2017 rav4 LE AWD with ToyotaCare for oil change.

The website says 5000 miles or 6 moths interval for SYNTHETIC oil change.

Does the manufacturer put SYNTHETIC oil (full or blend) the first time?

how does the dealership know what to put in, should you tell them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Toyota has their own brand of oil, which is what the factory and dealers use.
If your dealer doesn't know what oil to use for changes, find a new dealer.

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts

Thanks,

The US 2017 Rav4 maintenance guide makes no mention of synthetic oil changes at 5k/6mos, the US standard service interval for normal operation for oil changes is every 10k miles or 12 months, oil is changed every 5k miles or 6 months in special operating conditions(severe service). AFAIK all Rav4s come with synthetic oil in the US, they have at least since 2015. Dunno what the standard is for elsewhere in the world, you haven't completed your profile so we don't know what part of the world you're in.

https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-17RAV4/pdf/T-MMS-17RAV4.pdf

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts

Thanks,
And you live WHERE???? Obviously not in the USA.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I know a person, from other community, that was testing different brands of synthetic oil, sending it for evaluation to a lab after 5k, 7k, 10k, etc.. Toyota synthetic oil starts losing its characteristics between 5k - 7k, so changing it around 5-6k is probably a good idea. For Brands like Amsoil, Red Line and few others, which are better quality, it`s about 7-8k.
Personally, i always use Amsoil Signature series 0W20 for last 8 years, changing at 7-7.5k.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
I keep hearing about these Amsoil products, but I can't seem to find them at my local Walmart, Advance Auto, or AutoZone. Are they only sold in certain parts of the country?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
I keep hearing about these Amsoil products, but I can't seem to find them at my local Walmart, Advance Auto, or AutoZone. Are they only sold in certain parts of the country?
Order online or from your local "dealer" (private party, it's like Amway but it's not an MLM deal, no pyramid scheme)

Very expensive. Preferred Customer program gives you dealer pricing, but it's only really worth it if you're putting 40,000 miles a year on a Diesel pickup.

Bang for the buck, just stick with Mobil-1 from Walmart (was on sale for $23 for the 5qt jug last week at my store)
UOA posted on various forums show that M1 and the factory filter are just fine at 10k.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
And you live WHERE???? Obviously not in the USA.
5k is an option for severe service conditions, but the "free" Toyotacare service is only going to include two oil changes whether they are at 5k and 10k or 10k and 20k.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
Order online or from your local "dealer" (private party, it's like Amway but it's not an MLM deal, no pyramid scheme)

Very expensive. Preferred Customer program gives you dealer pricing, but it's only really worth it if you're putting 40,000 miles a year on a Diesel pickup.
Uh, yeah, I think I'll pass. If it were as good as many believe, it would be sold in stores nationwide.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yes, it`s not cheap, 50 dollars for an oil change. Mobil1 is ok too :)

Other great choice would be Royal Purple 0W20, it`s 40 per 5 qts

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
I just don't see doing it myself is any advantage any more, the local dealer does 5 qt dino oil changes for $40 and synthetic for $55, that includes a new filter and they get rid of the used oil, and that's only after the 2yr Toyota Care expires, the first two changes(10k miles/12mo and 20k miles/24mo) are free, what's not to like about that! :D I did my own oil changes for decades, but in the last 10yrs or so I've had em done by Toyota, works for me, I have better things to do with my time than play mechanic, been there, done that too many years.

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
It is generally sold by Amsoil dealers that have become distributors and available online. I have only seen two car parts stores in my life that sold Amsoil, they were both in Austin Tx. Their top line oil is superb and said to last up to 25K. At twelve bucks a quart plus shipping (less in some instances) it might be the best but I just can't see it. Today it's not unusual to see 200K miles on an engine changed at proper intervals with plain old dinosaur oil.

Also with the many variations of Mobil 1 available everywhere I see no reason to order Amsoil. Others swear by it, it has an almost cult following.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey, I don't swear by anything haha, nor I am forcing anyone to use top of the line motor oils. And I am not amsoil dealer either ? I did a lot of reading and made my choice, using their product everywhere.. transmission, dufferentials, tcase.. etc, in all my vehicles, that is all :)

·
Super Moderator
11,099 Posts
Who said that you were???:shrug:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Its surprising how many people automatically equate "expensive" with "top of the line" or quality. If it were that simple it would be great. But the issue isn't whether a lubricant passes more tests and ratings, its whether that makes any difference in normal use.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Who said that you were???:shrug:
I am just talking out loud man, haha

Its surprising how many people automatically equate "expensive" with "top of the line" or quality
Good point, many do that. You are absolutely correct, characteristics, test results, etc should be the main factor :cheers: Unfortunately expensive and top of the line, have a tendency being together lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just don't see doing it myself is any advantage any more, the local dealer does 5 qt dino oil changes for $40 and synthetic for $55, that includes a new filter and they get rid of the used oil, and that's only after the 2yr Toyota Care expires, the first two changes(10k miles/12mo and 20k miles/24mo) are free, what's not to like about that! :D I did my own oil changes for decades, but in the last 10yrs or so I've had em done by Toyota, works for me, I have better things to do with my time than play mechanic, been there, done that too many years.
I would pay twice that price if I knew the service was being performed correctly. I've told my dealer that to their face after the final straw.
Glad it's working out for you though.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I am just talking out loud man, haha

Good point, many do that. You are absolutely correct, characteristics, test results, etc should be the main factor
Not really. Not unless the higher "performance" can be shown to be of any real value in normal use. Unless you are involved in "extreme use" like military, aviation, etc, the high performance lubrication has no real value. Recommended oil, recommended change interval ... do that and there won't be any lubrication-related issues.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Its surprising how many people automatically equate "expensive" with "top of the line" or quality. If it were that simple it would be great. But the issue isn't whether a lubricant passes more tests and ratings, its whether that makes any difference in normal use.
Ditto.

I've tested Royal Purple compared to M1, Amsoil, and Dino oils.
Let's just say that if RP put as much money into R&D as they do product placement on "gearhead" cable shows, advertising, and racing sponsorships, they'd have a great product.
But they don't, and they don't.

Testing 20w50 products in my motorcycle, Royal Purple did not hold viscosity any better than Castrol GTX. Both sheared down to a 30wt within 2,000 miles.
M1 and Amsoil were still 40wt at 6,000 miles.
The worst was Motul Twin-Synd. Sheared down to a 20wt in 1500 miles AND destroyed my clutch... and this was a JASO-MA rated oil designed for wet clutches.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts