Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for input on my issue. I had my oil changed on my 07 Rav4 and a few weeks later my oil light came on for ~10 seconds & then went off. I was on my way to Wal-Mart anyway so I pulled into their auto shop. I told the guy about the light and he checked the dipstick 4 times, no oil at all. Made me sign a waiver that they didn't do anything & they checked pan plug & said it was put in wrong and threads were stripped and it leaked all of the oil out. I bought 3 quarts of oil & put it in myself & took it to a mechanic like they recommended. He said I could try a bigger plug or a new oil pan & I should talk to whoever changed oil last. I went to lube shop that last serviced it, they put in a bigger plug, filled oil & assured me it was fixed. A few weeks later, same thing again with oil light on. I went right back to lube shop, they put in a bigger plug and again assured me it was fixed. 5 days later, I'm driving on the interstate & engine light starts flashing, then all warning lights start flashing I loose power & have no acceleration at all. Car stays running, but no power. I pulled off the road & was thinking about what to do because I had no cell service on mountain pass. Suddenly all the warning lights went off & car was fine. I took it to Napa & had them check the code, no code came up, but I told the guy my oil story & asked him to check it. (I had a shoulder injury & just had surgery so I can't get hood up myself to check it). Sure enough it's low on oil & dripping from plug. Lube shop said they would put a seal on it. Napa guy says engine took a big hit from no oil twice, I know that a new pan is only way to fix leak for sure, but what about engine damage and liability?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have the lube place replace the oil pan at their expense. If the engine still turns over and runs fine, it probably is okay. You can do a compression test on each cylinder to determine damage to piston rings as well..

·
Registered
91 Posts
By the time the oil light comes on you have damaged the engine, yours has come on multiple times, the engine is toast.

Go back to the lube place, get the name of THIER insurance company, file a claim, make them pay for a remanufactured engine.

One dealership I was associated with had an open claim with Jiffy Lube's insurance company because the local Jiffy Lube idiots didn't put the copper washer in with the drain plug.... and the oil leaked out.

We put in a LOT of long blocks in that insurance companies dime.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
By the time the oil light comes on you have damaged the engine, yours has come on multiple times, the engine is toast.

Go back to the lube place, get the name of THIER insurance company, file a claim, make them pay for a remanufactured engine.

One dealership I was associated with had an open claim with Jiffy Lube's insurance company because the local Jiffy Lube idiots didn't put the copper washer in with the drain plug.... and the oil leaked out.

We put in a LOT of long blocks in that insurance companies dime.
+1 !!! If the lube shop refuses you should file a complaint with your state's department which deals with consumer vs. auto shops, and it also may be necessary to sue the shop. Hopefully your state has small claims courts with upper lawsuit limits which are high enough to cover the needed replacement cost, including labor.

S

·
0 Posts
If all this oil came out so many times, wasn't there some oil under the car! ! from every place you parked? a smell ?
Ditto on file claim with them, but also take it to a TOYOTA SERVICE DEPT. let them know what went on.
And get their repair recommendations in writing. You may end up back there for final repair.
Consult an attorney, most are free for first visit.
Don't take no from the Lube place!.......................keep us posted. And legally you can now mention the name of the place
because we asked, "What is the name of the place you had this experience at?"

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've heard this exact horror story too many times. I will NEVER take my car to a Jiffy Lube or shop of similar ilk for this reason. There's a Jiffy Lube place near where I work, walking past their shop at lunch time I witnessed one of the lube monkeys putting a drain plug back in with an impact wrench!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I've heard this exact horror story too many times. I will NEVER take my car to a Jiffy Lube or shop of similar ilk for this reason. There's a Jiffy Lube place near where I work, walking past their shop at lunch time I witnessed one of the lube monkeys putting a drain plug back in with an impact wrench!
I'll second this, as I have a family member who's engine seized after an oil change at a Jiffy Lube. Due of course to not putting the drain plug back tight enough.
Geez, just how hard is it to put the plug back in correctly?:mad:

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
Also on one occasion a quick change shop put oil into my car (not my RAV) which was the incorrect weight. When I complained to the manager she said that since my car used the same oil filter as Hondas use (my car wasn't a Honda) she said that she though it used the same weight oil! They did change it out again along with the filter for no cost because of my complaint. No more quick change oil places for me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Also on one occasion a quick change shop put oil into my car (not my RAV) which was the incorrect weight. When I complained to the manager she said that since my car used the same oil filter as Hondas use (my car wasn't a Honda) she said that she though it used the same weight oil! They did change it out again along with the filter for no cost because of my complaint. No more quick change oil places for me.

My first oil change on my rav4 V6 was done at the Toyota dealer... They put in 0w20 instead of 5w30.... Is the Toyota dealer bad as well?? They said they put 0w20 into both the 4 and 6 cylinder...

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
My first oil change on my rav4 V6 was done at the Toyota dealer... They put in 0w20 instead of 5w30.... Is the Toyota dealer bad as well?? They said they put 0w20 into both the 4 and 6 cylinder...
For one thing 0W20 is full synthetic so you paid a premium for the wrong oil. It likely won't hurt anything but 5W30 is called for. I would have them drain the oil, put in the correct viscosity, and refund the previous oil change entirely.

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
That dealer's service department fails the basic intelligence test - Toyota has stamped the correct oil weight right onto the filler cap, and it's in bright white on the contrasting black background.

·
Registered
11 Posts
WOW...to the OP definitely get a lawyer, your engine has been compromised. I am glad I do all the work on my vehicles. Keep us updated and I hope you get a new engine out of this. I can't believe someone can't tighten a drain plug correctly and mess it up twice.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Sorry to be off topic but I suggest the OP consider getting a Fumoto Valve. I had one on my previous 05 RAV4 for 5 years with no problem and this will eliminate the chance of someone screwing up the drain bolt/oil pan. I will be installing the old Fumoto valve on my new (used) 09 RAV4 on the next oil change.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Sorry to be off topic but I suggest the OP consider getting a Fumoto Valve. I had one on my previous 05 RAV4 for 5 years with no problem and this will eliminate the chance of someone screwing up the drain bolt/oil pan. I will be installing the old Fumoto valve on my new (used) 09 RAV4 on my next oil change.
lol. I remember hearing about them years ago!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts