Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided after much debate to proceed with the DVD install. Not as bad as I thought. Took about 45 careful minutes of checking, double checking and then rechecking before cutting the headliner and drilling screws into the cross beams. But I happy to report that the job was a success. It looks fantastic. Posted a couple of pics in my album.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
proud of you its easy I did mine almost a yr ago pretty cool nice install everyone should do this it cheaper on the long run and you r proud of your set up

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks great! A couple of questions:

1. Where did you power this from?
2. Where did you locate the DVD player or is it incorporated into the display?
3. With the screen down, do you lose the use of your rear view mirror.
4. Do you happen to have step by step instructions?
5. Were you able to install this in-place or did you remove the headliner?

OK, that's 5 questions. I been trying to decide to go this route or install headrest monitors. I would like to go with this type of system, just to need to convince the wife to let me cut up her RAV...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Answers:
1. Dome Light
2. DVD is built in the unit (much more simplified this way, no need to find a spot for a stand alone dvd-player)
3. 50-70% Loss depending on height of the driver.
4. Sorry no step by step other than question 5.
5. I didn't have to drop the headliner. I used a needle to poke into the headliner to find the cross beam. Once I found the cross beam, I centered the unit and cut a small hole the size of Dollar (Canadian :wink: , US dollar is a little too big) Fed power from the dome light to the hole. Made neccessary connections and proceeded to screw up the metal plate. I used self tapping screws to screw up the metal plate that comes with the unit. (Be certain that the screws they just long enough to penetrate the headliner, plate and crossbeam !! Anything longer will go right through you roof :shock:) I then mounted the system on to the plate, and that's it. Watch DVD's.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the answers.

I wonder how much harder this will be for me since I have a moonroof :?:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not familiar on how the moonroof opens:
If the moonroof pops up and opens on top of the roof, it will be the same install.
If the moonroof slides into the roof, there may be some issues you would need to consider.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It slides into the roof. Not sure how much room I have to work with. I need to check out a Limited with the DVD install and see where they mounted it.

If Toyota installs a system, they use the headrest mounted system. Now, that doesn't mean it can't be done though... So for I only found documentation for headrest mounted instead of roof mounted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Johnny, my dealership offered to put in an overhead dvd. And at the time before the 6 was availible, I was looking at the 4 Ltd. (with sunroof)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
sunroof

if you want to add a flipd down lcd to a car that has a sun roof its easy all you got to do is add a peace of wood between liner and actual roof and make sure that do this when the sun roof is open that it will appear like this metal roof ,sunroof and 3rd wood and 4 liner . I hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts