Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've taken all the warnings on here and now feel every 06-08 is a potential oil burner waiting to happen. I had a good opportunity to buy a used 08 but now believe that my original plan to buy a solid used car to get me thru a couple of years and be a decent starter for my teen in a couple of years is not gonna play out.

Now what? I do like the size and dependability of the rav4s. How are the v6 models for reliability? Any big issues? And the 2.5l? Are they what i want to focus on?

·
Registered
8,536 Posts
From reports on this forum there have been a good number of 2006-2008 2.4.L engines which have had no problems. Toyota also offered a fix for those which were confirmed-by-test oil burners at no cost to the owners. RAVs which had the repair done in the U.S. would have had that detail added to the vehicle service record at www.toyotaowners.com. Unfortunately I don't know whether a similar reporting service is available in Canada. V6 models have good reliability although some 2006-2008 owners had premature coolant pump failures and some V6 owners have had transmission whine problems. The 2.5 L models seem to have had no outstanding category of problems.

Other members may have different observations.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The repair program from Toyota was limited to less than 150k miles, and no more than 10 years from first use. I missed this window by three months. No free repair for me, or any repair. $2.44/qt oil from Wal-mart added every 600 +/- miles is our future until we sell it or drive it into the ground. Other than that, good car, but would have preferred the v6 4x4 version.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The repair program from Toyota was limited to less than 150k miles, and no more than 10 years from first use. I missed this window by three months. No free repair for me, or any repair. $2.44/qt oil from Wal-mart added every 600 +/- miles is our future until we sell it or drive it into the ground. Other than that, good car, but would have preferred the v6 4x4 version.
And what is still, by any "normal" measure, excessive consumption was deemed acceptable by Toyota. My wife's '04 would use 2 quarts between 5k oil changes. I wasn't aware of any service campaign available, but even had I known, it would not have failed at that level.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went through the oil consumption test with a dealer, while waiting for Toyota North America to respond to a request for an exception. Two passes are done, and mine failed both times. 2 quarts had to be added each time, after 1300 miles of driving, to bring the level to full.

I'd like to get rid of the car, but unlike when I bought it, I'll be disclosing the issue to the next buyer. It's a shame. Neat little car. Black on black, leather, Sport model, and in really nice shape. One local NC owner prior to me. Not sure how after 120k miles and the selling dealership always servicing the car that the issue wasn't seen and corrected while within the limits of the program.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
packmule said:
The repair program from Toyota was limited to less than 150k miles, and no more than 10 years from first use.
Actually, when the extended warranty repair program first came out, it was for unlimited miles for the 2006-08 models until Oct 31, 2016. After that, it was 150k miles, 10 years as you say.

Pretty generous on the face of it, but notification to owners was sketchy. It was not a recall, so Toyota didn't really try very hard, and many dealers like yours were not helpful.

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
No free repair for me, or any repair. $2.44/qt oil from Wal-mart added every 600 +/- miles is our future until we sell it or drive it into the ground.
Look on the good side. It means you're getting 2,400 mpg on oil and never have to do another oil change since you're doing it continuously. Just remember to add a quart every two or three gas fill-ups and enjoy the ride. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So I've taken all the warnings on here and now feel every 06-08 is a potential oil burner waiting to happen. I had a good opportunity to buy a used 08 but now believe that my original plan to buy a solid used car to get me thru a couple of years and be a decent starter for my teen in a couple of years is not gonna play out.

Now what? I do like the size and dependability of the rav4s. How are the v6 models for reliability? Any big issues? And the 2.5l? Are they what i want to focus on?
As you surmise, IMO, just skip the 2006-08 models and concentrate on 2009+ either 4 or 6-cyl very high reliability. Probably the best value of any RAVs out there. You can get a very fine and reliable gen 4.3 RAV for less than half of a new one--and many here feel the V6 was the best ever made, and no longer available. The 2.5 liter is still used as the primary engine of the RAV, even in the hybrid, though some changes have been made as the 'Atkinson' variant.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Look on the good side. It means you're getting 2,400 mpg on oil and never have to do another oil change since you're doing it continuously. Just remember to add a quart every two or three gas fill-ups and enjoy the ride. :)
Ex-wife's dad had an old Impala like that.
He'd change the filter every month and just keep the oil topped off. It never looked worse than what came out of my Buick.
UOA would have been interesting, but reports that I've seen on Corvette forums, if running bypass filtration, the quart that replenishes the oil at filter change is adequate to maintain the TBN on 10k filter change intervals.

Of course, his old beater wasn't running bypass filtration... not technically... it was "bypassing" onto the ground and into the air :D

·
0 Posts
same here. we missed it by a couple months. pissed, but oh well.

i ran 20/50 over summer and that slowed the burn down a bit.

just had it all flushed and changed for winter, using 5/30.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
We love our V-6 RAVs . They are very quick with acceptable miles per gallon. When they first appeared some car magazines called them overpowered and they will easily walk away from big V-8s of yesteryear. With that in mind I'd think long and hard about a hand me down to a teenager. The 2.5l might be more suitable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh, yeah... no V6 RAV for inexperienced teen drivers

We love our V-6 RAVs . They are very quick with acceptable miles per gallon. When they first appeared some car magazines called them overpowered and they will easily walk away from big V-8s of yesteryear. With that in mind I'd think long and hard about a hand me down to a teenager. The 2.5l might be more suitable.
The V6 RAV is a quick machine but there's another facet to this. The gas pedal seems to be VERY lightly sprung, so even a light touch on the pedal can induce squealing tires and sudden lunging forward. One needs to be aware of this and be VERY cautious when starting out. I tend to wear boots most of the time, which aggravates this problem. Been driving for 52 years now and have never owned a car with this sensitive a gas pedal. It's OK once one gets used to it but it can be hair-raising at first.

That said, I would not own the current 4-cyl RAV offering. While the V-6 is considered "too much engine" by some, the I-4 is definitely not enough engine, especially if one wishes to merge safely into freeway speed traffic via uphill on-ramps or drive at posted speeds in the big mountains out west. I test drove a 2016 RAV4 with the I-4. Nice car but I kept wondering if it was working properly. It's a gas sipper but also short about 40-45 hp. I have a 220 hp minimum on any car I own, so the 170-175 hp 4 cyl engines just don't do it for me. A 2+ liter turbo 4, on the other hand, does just fine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So I've taken all the warnings on here and now feel every 06-08 is a potential oil burner waiting to happen. I had a good opportunity to buy a used 08 but now believe that my original plan to buy a solid used car to get me thru a couple of years and be a decent starter for my teen in a couple of years is not gonna play out....
DsrtRat ^^ A couple of Years (??) ... need to set your goals higher & pick a used vehicle skillfully.
- where are you located ?

I could probably & easily maintain our '08 Gen3, for another decade.
- I maintain our used vehicles extremely well, to re-coupe top dollar & achieve low depreciation

I got the wife's 2008 Limited v6 4x4, from a Doctor in London, ON.
- 2.5 years ago, with 89,xxx Km / 2 owner gem & only Toyota dealership maintained
- leather, heated seats, heated glass under wipers & heated side mirrors, moon roof, etc...loaded
- and saved approx. $5,000 Cdn, by buying private & smart
I will never own a 4 cyl. with or without Turbo, subject to added maintenance costs.

^^ Have to be patient & close the deal when a good one comes on local Kijiji.
- had it wax-oil spray undercoated and exterior body & unibody is still rust free
- took 6 months to find, and was the 1st one we looked at
- now has 157,800 Km / one set of Firestone Destination Le2 / rear MaxBrakes kit / AGM battery / $90 rear stabilizer axle link plus 1/2 hour mechanic time, to install
- and 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with WIX XP Platinum oil filter (every 10,000 Km)...all Synthetic fluids

Absolutely the best used vehicle our family has owned, in over 4 decades / still drives like brand new...I still make this comment, to the wife.
- a vehicle I could probably get to 300,000 miles (500,000 Km), if I wanted
- but mom gets sons '15 Lexus AWD v6, when he updates for business travel
- my brother already spoke for our used RAV4 (for his wife)
- when the time comes to sell it / even with an extra 100K on the odometer
- they are one of the best vehicles ever made, in the last decade
- and gas mileage is decent / 269 HP can be an true rush
- winter traction is amazing...a tank of an SUV
I feel confident, wife has a most reliable & safe ride commuting to work / regardless of most weather conditions - as long as she can see the snow covered roads, the RAV4 will make it home.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The V6 RAV is a quick machine but there's another facet to this. The gas pedal seems to be VERY lightly sprung, so even a light touch on the pedal can induce squealing tires and sudden lunging forward. One needs to be aware of this and be VERY cautious when starting out. I tend to wear boots most of the time, which aggravates this problem. Been driving for 52 years now and have never owned a car with this sensitive a gas pedal. It's OK once one gets used to it but it can be hair-raising at first.

That said, I would not own the current 4-cyl RAV offering. While the V-6 is considered "too much engine" by some, the I-4 is definitely not enough engine, especially if one wishes to merge safely into freeway speed traffic via uphill on-ramps or drive at posted speeds in the big mountains out west. I test drove a 2016 RAV4 with the I-4. Nice car but I kept wondering if it was working properly. It's a gas sipper but also short about 40-45 hp. I have a 220 hp minimum on any car I own, so the 170-175 hp 4 cyl engines just don't do it for me. A 2+ liter turbo 4, on the other hand, does just fine.
I would agree about the V6 Rav not being the best choice for a kids first car. Yeah, the gas pedal is touchy at first, but once I got used to it I can take off as smooth as I want.
I disagree about the 4cyl Rav being too slow. I'd say its probably the same as maybe 90% of the vehicles on the road today.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I disagree about the 4cyl Rav being too slow. I'd say its probably the same as maybe 90% of the vehicles on the road today.
So....yeah.

Too slow.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I would agree about the V6 Rav not being the best choice for a kids first car. Yeah, the gas pedal is touchy at first, but [...]
I'm sympathetic to the sensitivity. Aren't there mods we can make, or buy that send a different accelerator position to the ECU?

I'm passing my V6 on to my wife.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I'm passing my V6 on to my wife.
If you are in the process of passing your V6 on to your wife, what are you looking at to replace it with for yourself?

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
Pico is hunting for a nice 3 cylinder Geo Metro..........;)

·
Super Moderator
10,147 Posts
The V6 RAV is a quick machine but there's another facet to this. The gas pedal seems to be VERY lightly sprung, so even a light touch on the pedal can induce squealing tires and sudden lunging forward.
I'm sympathetic to the sensitivity. Aren't there mods we can make, or buy that send a different accelerator position to the ECU?
There have been many posts on the subject of various throttle pedal modifying devices. They are generally intended to make the pedal more aggressive but many also have so-called "economy" modes which deaden throttle response and allow a softer tip-in.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
especially if one wishes to merge safely into freeway speed traffic via uphill on-ramps or drive at posted speeds in the big mountains out west.
I've driven with my wife and full load of luggage for a week (and we're both over 250) from Los Angeles to Austin, several times, including trips in the AZ mountains between I-10 and I-40 and have never found her '15 lacking.
No, it's not fast, certainly not as fast as my '03 Tundra was, but it is just fine and have never felt that it lacked the power to safely merge or even pass on a 2-lane highway.

Posted speeds on the big mountains out west? We run 5-10 over without a problem, only issue is to kill the cruise before a steep grade, or kick it down out of OD so the transmission doesn't hunt for gears and the cruise doesn't surge.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts