Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to reroute the main belt to bypass the air conditioning water pump? It's a 2002 Rav 4.

That was done today after the bearings had seized and the belt snapped. After the bypass, it drove okay for about 8 miles but now won't start.

Any ideas folks? Probably an unrelated problem but the battery reads 11 volts. Starter motor was clicking once or twice but now battery 10 volts and nothing. I've tried rocking it in 4th gear to free the starter motor but no joy.

It drove fine and all seemed normal until I couldn't resist pressing the air con button. Shortly afterwards I noticed the speedo and trip meter didn't work, nor did the air blower (which worked before I pressed the air con button). Now the engine won't start. So I checked the fuses. There was a blown 10amp fuse on the middle row, which I swapped with a different one to no avail. I'm wondering if the computer has got confused and immobilised it, but maybe it's just me who's confused and immobilised. Yep, think so. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
I'm not quite clear on what you did with the belt but obviously you bypassed the alternator. The resulting low voltage has immobilized everything else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not quite clear on what you did with the belt but obviously you bypassed the alternator. The resulting low voltage has immobilized everything else.
Thanks Dr Dyno! I'll suggest that to the garage guys who did the bypass. It didn't start at 11 volts in the battery either, yet the lights are bright. Do you know how to reverse the immobilization? Will charging my battery a few volts more do the job or is there some reset to perform?

It did run at first, and has always suffered from gradually flattening batteries, which 13 garages and engineers across 15 years have never diagnosed, beyond observing infrequent use and high equipment level.

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Hey, I just figured this all out!

If you bypass the water pump your engine loses cooling and overheats.
If you bypass the A/C compressor you lose cooling and overheat.
If you bypass the alternator your engine loses power and nothing works.

Brilliant, if I must say so myself! :idea: :cheers:
Where's the pat oneself on the back smiley?

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, I just figured this all out!

If you bypass the water pump your engine loses cooling and overheats.
If you bypass the A/C compressor you lose cooling and overheat.
If you bypass the alternator your engine loses power and nothing works.

Brilliant, if I must say so myself! :idea: :cheers:
Where's the pat oneself on the back smiley?
Hah Ha :cool: Yes, I look forward to discovering tomorrow exactly what they've bypassed. They swore it was just the A/C. I appreciate your kind and helpful thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts