Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey:

I just installed an Old Man Emu lift kit on my 1999 RAV4 4-door AWD. It was purchased from Rocky Road Outfitters. Very easy to install. You need standard metric tools and a spring compressor for installation. I am very pleased with the kit. If you order a kit, remind seller to check to ensure both shock bushings are shipped in the package. I have also seen the same kit for sale on SierraExpeditions.com.

I'll post some before and after pics later.

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
BEFORE PICS FOR LIFT KIT & LARGER TIRES

Okay. Lift and tires are complete. Attached are before lift pics. I will post after lift pics later this afternoon.

Modifications:

Install Old Man Emu Lift kit which includes rear springs, rear shocks, and front springs. You will definitley need a coil spring compressor for front spring installation. I was able to complete rear spring installation without the compressor.

Install custom built 1" coil spring spacer for front end. The custom spacer is made from high density polyethylene (HDPE) plastic. You can purchase HDPE from Grainger or any raw material carrier in the U.S. I ordered two 12"W x 12"L x 1"T sheets. You can get away with just one 12"W x 12"L x 1"T sheet in order to make two spacers for the front (one for each side).

Install Bassett racing wheels 15" x 7" with 3.75" backspacing (model 57RF375)

Install Interco Super Swampers TSL Bias 29" x 8.5" x 15" (model SAM-25)

If anyone has any questions on lifting or upsizing tires, just ask. I will try to help any way I can. I found the RAV4 relatively simple to modify. The toughest part was custom building the spacers, but they ended up fitting perfectly. I did it myself, but a machine shop could easily machine the spacers for an individual that may not have drill presses and jigsaws.

My RAV4 is for strictly off-road use only at a hunting camp. I would not run these wheels and tires on pavement. Mainly because super swampers will not last long on pavement. If you want this setup for ON-ROAD use I would recomend sticking with factory wheels and a radial mud-terrain.

Thanks,
Josh

Note: after lift pics to come this afternoon.

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Looks badass! Nice upgrade!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STRUT MOUNT BOLTS

What did you use for strut mount bolts?
I found two options for strut mount bolts.

Option 1: Replace factory bolts with longer bolts available from Fastenal or Grainger used along with flat washers and lock washers. There is a disadvantage to this because you have to hold backup on the bottom side bolt head, and it is very difficult to reach the bolt head with a wrench.

Option 2: Purchase Daystar KT09105BK Comfort Ride 1" Front Strut Spacer Kit and use the new bolts within this kit along with your factory bolts. I found this kit on Amazon.

I went with Option 2.

Josh

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lift kit = $484.00
custom spacer material = $22.00
bassett wheels = $179.88
tires = $626.35

Total = $1,312.23

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looks really purposeful now, ready to tackle the great outdoors! :thumbs_up:

How would you say it drives compared to when it was standard!...particularly on the tarmac?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would say the driving/handling improved. Can't comment on driving or handling on pavement because it is being used as off-road vehicle only. I would have went with a different mud-terrain for street use or a super swamper radial if I intended on pavement driving. In past experience the bias ply super swamper (which is what I have on now) is not the best pick for pavement use because the tread wears quickly and skid resistance is very low when braking. But interco, the manuf. of super swampers, does have a number of models available for all uses.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do u think you could have fit the 29s without the lift? Could you fit a larger tire or do you think 29s are maxing out size wise on a rav4.1?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not sure how 29s would fit without lift. I think this particular setup would rub frequently when springs are compressed because of the tire chosen (knobby type tire). For this particular lift kit and modifications I would not push futher than 29.

However, I do think the limiting factor on tire size would be the lower spring seat on the front end. I believe this could be modified by machining a three hole attachment for the lower strut mount to the steering hub. However, you have to consider what else this changes such as brake hoses, angle of front axles. I have found that modifying one component to create lift chain reacts to several other components requiring modifications, and for the RAV4 there are not alot of aftermarket suspension components which then requires custom modification. This increases cost, time, and tools required.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts