Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pictures please! And what kind of mods would be needed for bigger tires? Fender lip rolling or chopping up the interior of the wheel well? Did they rub front and back? I don't mind doing some modifying :)

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
Mods for 30" tires

Had to take the front tires off and take a rather large instrument of destruction (hammer) and beat the raised areas in the front wheel wells (the area to the back of the wheel wells) flat. Even after that, if I turned very sharply they would rub so I installed the wheel spacers which solved the problem. Going to take it down a rough road this week to see if there are any issues with shock travel.

The rear wheel wells had no issues, at least not yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks eodgator for all the details of your build with sources! My transformation will begin as soon as I get mine running. Can't wait for the pics of yours!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
Thanks eodgator for all the details of your build with sources! My transformation will begin as soon as I get mine running. Can't wait for the pics of yours!:cheers:
Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I installed the Old man Emu Lift Kit on my 4wd 1999 4.1 and looks great, pictures to follow.
Installed::thumbs_up:
1 ea - 1996-2000 Toyota RAV4 Black Grille Bumper Guards Brush Bull Push Crash Bar (ChromekingUSA an eBay store)
1 ea - K&N 57-0315 57i High Performance International Intake Kit (amazon.com)
1 ea - Curt Manufacturing 13524 Class III Receiver (amazon.com)
1 ea - Old man Emu Lift Kit (doesn't include front struts)(Toyota Rav4 lift kits, suspension, fender flares, part & accessories at the lowest prices)
1 ea - Daystar KT09105BK Comfort Ride 1" Front Strut Spacer Kit (note not for RAV4 but it works with a little effort) (amazon.com)
2 ea - Monroe 903995 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit (amazon.com) You should add these to any strut replacement.
1 ea - Gabriel G56631 Ultra Gas Strut (amazon.com)
1 ea - Gabriel G56632 Ultra Gas Strut (amazon.com)
5 ea - Rims 16x7.5 Anthracite w/Mach Lip American Racing Razor (tirerack.com)
5 ea - Tires - 235/75R16 Firestone Destination A/T (tirerack.com)(these tires are 30" tall and caused some rubbing issues that I had to repair with the judicious use of a hammer to the raised areas at the rear of the front fender wells and by using the following wheel spacers.)
2 sets - 25mm (1") 5x114.3 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers (amazon.com)
2 sets - Gorilla Automotive 21133HT Small Diameter Acorn Chrome 5 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Pack Of 20 (needed some for the spare)(local purchase)
1 ea - BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible (amazon.com) Can be used in other vehicles.

A word of advice; the largest tires that you can get under it with this lift kit are 29 inches and maybe they won't rub, 30" tires rub harshly and require some vehicle modification (wish someone had mentioned that :wall).
The tire/rim fits fine on the rear tire rack, no spacer or mod needed.

Things to come:
1 ea - Roadmaster 1142-3 XL Tow Bar Base Plate Bracket Toyota (this is for flat towing the RAV4 behind my RV see Toyota Technical Service Bulletin AX001-00)(American RV Company an eBay store)
1 ea - BrakeBuddy 39504 Vantage Select Towed Vehicle Braking System (this is for flat towing the RAV4 behind my RV)(eBay)
1 set - Hood Vent - Size Large Powder-Coated Semi-Gloss Black Hi-Flow™ 2 each 11" x 17" Angle Cut Vents (http://www.hoodlouvers.com/product-category/size-large-hood-louvershood-vents/)
Either a forest green paint job or a camo vehicle wrap
Paint the bumper covers, fender flares, and side panels
A roof rack
Replace front rotors and calipers
Rear disc brakes project
Custom skid plates to protect gas tank, engine, and tranny. Too bad no one makes them, but I know a fabricator that can do it.
I like the sound of what you have planned. Get a build thread started!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not OME, but this 2" lift with brand new shocks and springs aswell, overall lift (due to sagged springs) was about 3 1/4" lift from when I first bought it. On stock 215/70 tyres

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not OME, but this 2" lift with brand new shocks and springs aswell, overall lift (due to sagged springs) was about 3 1/4" lift from when I first bought it. On stock 215/70 tyres

Hi Coupi, could you please give us some details on your lift? It seems substantially higher than the OME setup which is ideally what I'd like to go for.

Thank you for your help and nice rig!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Coupi, could you please give us some details on your lift? It seems substantially higher than the OME setup which is ideally what I'd like to go for.

Thank you for your help and nice rig!
It's a 2" lift spacer kit front and rear, along with brand new stock height springs, as my springs had sagged a fair bit. Has equated to over 3" lift

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks coupi! It says in the description that the kit is for the 3 door RAV4 and that the 4 door has "larger rear springs" that don't fit. Do you think that's why you had to have them machined? If you specified the dimensions though then I'd be wary as well. I'm curious if we could get the OME springs and shocks, then send the dimensions to these people for that arrangement... and get a 4" lift or so :)

The other part of the equation in my mind however, is how to widen the track of the RAV4 as well? Only simple solution I can think of is aggressive offset wheels that would stick out. I don't mind modifying the fenders in the end if needed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I spoke to them on the phone and specificed 5 door. I tried my stock Toyota springs nad my replacement Monroe springs and neither fitted :(

You really don't want to go any higher than 2" overall lift over stock. Driveshaft angle, stress on anti roll bar drop links and brake hoses being too short are just some of the issues you would encounter. Plus you would need the tracking sorting as it'll be wildly out, probably with a fair bit of positive camber.

Wheel spacers are the other option for widening the track. I have 16x7 ET30 wheels, with 25mm spacers on the front (soon to be rear too), bringing it down to ET5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thank you sir. Have you had any issues with your 3 1/4" lift? If I could get away with that much without problems I'd be happy. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done. Slowly but surely budget permitting it will end up awesome!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd say just go with brand new springs and 2" spacer kit.

No issues to date, although you will start find yourself needing to do other bits and bobs to get the most out of the new height.

·
Registered
22 Posts
sounds good thanks coupi. This thread should be stickied for lifted/offroad 4.1 RAV4s... they are uncommon and with the 4 wheel independent suspsension and locking differential they sure have potential :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
just went through the whole thing... wow is all I can say. You are going ALL OUT haha. Thanks for posting up your work it is awesome! You sir got skills.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts