Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I installed the Old man Emu Lift Kit on my 4wd 1999 4.1 and looks great, pictures to follow.
Installed::thumbs_up:
1 ea - 1996-2000 Toyota RAV4 Black Grille Bumper Guards Brush Bull Push Crash Bar (ChromekingUSA an eBay store)
1 ea - K&N 57-0315 57i High Performance International Intake Kit (amazon.com)
1 ea - Curt Manufacturing 13524 Class III Receiver (amazon.com)
1 ea - Old man Emu Lift Kit (doesn't include front struts)(Toyota Rav4 lift kits, suspension, fender flares, part & accessories at the lowest prices)
1 ea - Daystar KT09105BK Comfort Ride 1" Front Strut Spacer Kit (note not for RAV4 but it works with a little effort) (amazon.com)
2 ea - Monroe 903995 Strut-Mate Strut Mounting Kit (amazon.com) You should add these to any strut replacement.
1 ea - Gabriel G56631 Ultra Gas Strut (amazon.com)
1 ea - Gabriel G56632 Ultra Gas Strut (amazon.com)
5 ea - Rims 16x7.5 Anthracite w/Mach Lip American Racing Razor (tirerack.com)
5 ea - Tires - 235/75R16 Firestone Destination A/T (tirerack.com)(these tires are 30" tall and caused some rubbing issues that I had to repair with the judicious use of a hammer to the raised areas at the rear of the front fender wells and by using the following wheel spacers.)
2 sets - 25mm (1") 5x114.3 Hubcentric Wheel Spacers (amazon.com)
2 sets - Gorilla Automotive 21133HT Small Diameter Acorn Chrome 5 Lug Kit (12mm x 1.50 Thread Size) Pack Of 20 (needed some for the spare)(local purchase)
1 ea - BAFX Products (TM) - PIC18F2480 Bluetooth OBD2 scan tool - For check engine light and other diagnostics - Android compatible (amazon.com) Can be used in other vehicles.

A word of advice; the largest tires that you can get under it with this lift kit are 29 inches and maybe they won't rub, 30" tires rub harshly and require some vehicle modification (wish someone had mentioned that :wall).
The tire/rim fits fine on the rear tire rack, no spacer or mod needed.

Things to come:
1 ea - Roadmaster 1142-3 XL Tow Bar Base Plate Bracket Toyota (this is for flat towing the RAV4 behind my RV see Toyota Technical Service Bulletin AX001-00)(American RV Company an eBay store)
1 ea - BrakeBuddy 39504 Vantage Select Towed Vehicle Braking System (this is for flat towing the RAV4 behind my RV)(eBay)
1 set - Hood Vent - Size Large Powder-Coated Semi-Gloss Black Hi-Flow™ 2 each 11" x 17" Angle Cut Vents (http://www.hoodlouvers.com/product-category/size-large-hood-louvershood-vents/)
Either a forest green paint job or a camo vehicle wrap
Paint the bumper covers, fender flares, and side panels
A roof rack
Replace front rotors and calipers
Rear disc brakes project
Custom skid plates to protect gas tank, engine, and tranny. Too bad no one makes them, but I know a fabricator that can do it.
Not sure how well the quoted daystar spacer is going to fit. Just got one thinking I might need to elongate some holes but first look, the spacers outer diameter would be lucky to match the inner diameter of the bolts. Might have to make some spacers from something with a larger outer diameter. Will check tomorrow how much wider the spacer is than the hole in the strut tower and determine if it's worth using.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great off road build! I have a question on your wheels and tires. I am thinking of doing a similar size but with a 9.5" wide tire instead of a 8.5". Do you think the 3.750" backspacing on the wheels is enough to keep the tire off the front strut or would it be better to go with 3" backspace?

Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
reply to ravz(Andy)

Andy:

I can't say for sure. My experience was trial & error for different wheel offsets with my TSL super swampers. My tire size was set because I wanted a narrow aggressive tire such as TSL super swamper. Ultimately, I found that the 3.75" backspace was the best option for no rubbing, clearance of the brake caliper, & having the wheel center as close as possible to the center of the vehicle to reduce stress on the wheel bearings. In other words you want the wheel and tire to be pulled into the wheel well as much as possible, but still clear the brake caliper.

I know for a fact that 4 inch, 4.25 inch, & 4.50 inch backspacing will not work because the wheels will not clear the brake caliper.

Things to note: I have found that the front strut does not cause as many problems with aftermarket wheel & tire configurations as does the brake caliper & fenders (interior wheel well). Also with the wider tire you will have approximately 0.5 inches more of tire exposed outside of the wheel well than I have running the 8.5 inch. This is really no big deal in terms of clearance issues, but is does spray a lot of mud. I am going to place pacer flares on mine to reduce some of the overhang therefore reducing mud spray.

My recommendation would be to pick the tire you want to run & purchase one tire. Purchase 3-4 wheels with various offsets beginning with 3.75 inch & stepping down in 0.25 inch increments (3.75, 3.50, 3.25, 3.00.....). Once you have tire & wheel sets in your garage you can place a wheel on hub & measure clearances to check against tire dimensions. Most places will let you return wheels as long as they are not mounted and/or scratched badly. Once you have established your desired wheel with no clearance problems you can purchase the other three wheels, mount, & enjoy.

I bought most of my equipment from Summit & had no problems returning items.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome...Thanks for the reply and advice! We have a local wheel shop around here, I'm pretty sure they will let me do some measuring. I'm a competition shooter and take the rav4 primarily to the shooting ranges, no serious off roading but dirt roads that can get rutted and messy in the rain, passenger cars regularly get stuck. The rav does fine as is, but a little extra clearance and better tires can't hurt!

thanks for sharing your research you did to get your Rav setup. It helps a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone who has purchased the OME kit from rocky-road.com for the RAV4.1: Why is it cheaper to buy the front springs, rear springs, and rear shocks separately ($398.05) versus the kit ($442)? Is there any parts included in the kit that aren't included when buying individually?

Follow up question: What front struts do you recommend? Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone who has purchased the OME kit from rocky-road.com for the RAV4.1: Why is it cheaper to buy the front springs, rear springs, and rear shocks separately ($398.05) versus the kit ($442)? Is there any parts included in the kit that aren't included when buying individually?

Follow up question: What front struts do you recommend? Thanks!
Unit price is for only ONE shock. You have too add 2 to the cart which bring the price up higher than the kit.

I used Monroes for the front

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys,
I am very interested in buying the Old Man Emu kit for my '98 2dr RAV4. I have a couple followup questions for you guys that have done this already, or have knowledge about these things.
-With the extended front springs, do the front struts not over-extend? is this the purpose of the strut spacers?

see obligatory picture of my rav
Thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
reply to Jordonwiebe

the struts do not over extend. The reason I installed the front spacers were to level out the front end & gain some clearance versus the wheel well for the choice of tire style & size I run (to prevent rubbing). The clearance from hub center to strut spring seat never changes unless you change struts, so that dimensional limit is always there when choosing tire style & size.

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,159 Posts
the struts do not over extend. The reason I installed the front spacers were to level out the front end & gain some clearance versus the wheel well for the choice of tire style & size I run (to prevent rubbing). The clearance from hub center to strut spring seat never changes unless you change struts, so that dimensional limit is always there when choosing tire style & size.
What size tires do you run? Do you have any rubbing issues, etc? Please post on this thread - http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-...what-size-tires-what-issues-have-you-had.html

I started this thread to share what tires and lifts (if any) people are running.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I installed OME kit with 1" strut spacers. I am replacing my 1" Daystar spacers which weren't really made for the RAV4 with some 30mm ones that are the proper spacers. When I bought my OME lift most people were making there own strut spacers or modifying ready made ones. See my thread at http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

It was a fairly easy install but then again at the time I had access to a Marine Corps auto hobby shop with lifts and spring compressors. Note that it doesn't come with front struts.

After the lift my RAV4 had about a 40mm height gain, This was due to the lift and replacing tires old springs. My RAV4 had less body roll and handled better, I feel it was well worth it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the Parts list for your build @eodgator. I am likely going to grab many of the same parts for my lift. Question:
I am guessing the 'Strut-mate' mounting kit does not come with the Strut Bearings.. Were you able to find aftermarket bearings that fit this? It appears that the OEM part comes as a whole assembly. Also, How do you like those Gabriel front struts? are they identical to the factory struts? Would you recommend anything else?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
I used Gabriel struts with Monroe strut mounts/bearings. At the time, the Monroe mounts were all I could find, if I were to do it over again, I would use the Gabriel or KYB strut mount.

I like them, great ride, much improved over factory but then I installed the OME lift and rear shocks at the same time so it's hard to say what one thing made a difference. My Rav4 had about 130,000 miles and still had the factory shocks and struts so it rode rather poorly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great Thread guys, i just picked up a 1998 5dr 5spd model that needs a new clutch 248xxxkm. picked it up for 500$, I've spent another 500$ so far on a clutch kit and muffler and a few replacement parts from my local auto wreaker.

the plan is to daily it because my wife is expecting our first kid and a single cab OBS Chevy isn't gonna cut it.

Pretty pumped to have found the lift info so easily! can't wait to get it mobile and get it lifted a bit. i live on vancouver island (BC canada) and theres a ton of backroads and lakes to explore and i can't wait to get the Rav out there

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am replacing my 1" Daystar spacers which weren't really made for the RAV4 with some 30mm ones that are the proper spacers.
Do you happen to have a link for the proper spacers? I’ve searched all over. I’m planning on doing the OME lift with front spacers on my wife’s Rav at some point.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Do you happen to have a link for the proper spacers? I’ve searched all over. I’m planning on doing the OME lift with front spacers on my wife’s Rav at some point.

Thanks!
Here are some links, they are from eBay so they may not be there long but if you use the titles that I added in front of the links it should be good. Fairly fast delivery considering it's coming from Russia. They didn't list the 40mm ones when I bought mine or I would have purchased those instead.

One note, the strut bolts aren't the best and they may or may not grip properly when installed in the strut mounts/bearings, They were too loose on mine but then they were aftermarket. I couldn't find any that fit so I ended up using carriage bolts that were to spec because I couldn't find strut bolts anywhere that size. The carriage bolts bound into the teeth on the strut mounts/bearings so that you could properly torque the nuts. BTW, you cannot get a wrench in there to hold the bolt while torquing the nuts.

Complete Lift Kit 40mm for Toyota RAV4 1994-2000 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-L...764524?hash=item1a2f2f156c:g:BI4AAOSwnTxZbI0R

Front strut spacers 40mm for Toyota Rav4 Avensis Caldina Carina Corona Lift Kit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-stru...l:RAV4&hash=item1a2f2d1f58:g:iboAAOSwvr5Zc2v8

Complete Lift Kit 30mm for Toyota RAV4 1994-2000 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-L...l:RAV4&hash=item1a2f206864:g:aN4AAOSwAC5ZbI1c

Front strut spacers 30mm for Toyota Rav4 Avensis Caldina Carina Corona Lift Kit - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-stru...l:RAV4&hash=item1a2f2d1ed5:g:lzAAAOSwGkZZc2ui

61 - 80 of 94 Posts